Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2007, 10:46 AM

168 posts, read 840,727 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

To be brief,...I am looking to relocating somewhere in the central VA to eastern WV area. Searching for a rural area with mountains, scenic beauty and outdoor activities. I do not need to be too near 'big towns with nightlife..etc.',...and ideally prefer the quaint, historic, preserved small town feel.

I am looking at homes in the following areas:

Highview in Hampshire county,
Lawn,Wv which is near Green Sulphur Springs...
and a property of 2 in Greenbriar county

Anyone have any personal thoughts on these areas? Are they 'depressed' areas? Quaint? rural? ...etc..etc.....any info would be helpful!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 11:11 AM

74 posts, read 369,743 times
Have you looked into Lewisburg, WV? It is in Greenbrier County and near White Sulphur Springs and the Greenbrier Resort. I have visited there a few times (only in December, though and it was VERY cold!) and it seemed like a very nice small, quaint community, but not economically depressed like some small towns in WV can be. When I visited, I could tell from walking around the downtown area that historic preservation was very improtant to the town of Lewisburg. It seems like there is plenty to keep you occupied and it's also close to Greenbrier State Forest. It might be worth looking into!

Here are some websites you should check:
http://www.lewisburg-wv.com/
http://www.greenbrierwv.com/home/index.asp
http://www.greenbriersf.com/

Old 07-10-2007, 03:44 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
I agree. I grew up in Lewisburg/Ronceverte in 70's/80's. It has changed a lot for the better. It has been declared a national "smalltown USA" for the work it has done to preserve and "turn back the clock". The old businesses have closed down and the buildings preserved and turned into art galleries. There is a Super-Walmart outside of town near the interstate and the interstate makes it very accessible to the VA/NC beaches in summer and skiiing in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia