Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 04:44 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times

Advertisements

That total number of applicants seems a little high considering there is a total of 14k employees system-wide. If they filled the 2,723 positions out of the 66,500 total applicants, that's around 24.5 applicants per posted position. You wouldn't think that every position would have that many applicants, especially when you consider that almost every medical system is struggling to find nurses. Looking at the WVU Medicine careers site, they have 205 nursing opening posted just for Morgantown.

I wonder what the applicant numbers are at say UPMC, Johns Hopkins, UK Health Care, UNC Health Care, and UVA Health System.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 05:42 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Where are you finding the 2018 tables? The most recent I have found to through July 2017. They show Mon County growing by 400 people during the year. I don't think any area will have constant growth every year. It always goes in cycles. The job losses at Mylan, Swanson, and the coal mine are not repeated very often, and Mylan assures everyone that bargaining unit employees will not be laid off. I have no news about the coal mine situation. WVU Medicine hiring goes in spurts too, and they are getting ready for another round of hiring for the new children's hospital. In spite of a couple setbacks, the employment prospects look solid around here.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...V,US/PST045217
Here are the tables from the Census Bureau- you can look up by state/ county and metropolitan area:

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ta/tables.html

Old 04-07-2018, 10:19 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Here are the tables from the Census Bureau- you can look up by state/ county and metropolitan area:

https://www.census.gov/programs-surv...ta/tables.html
Thanks. Berkeley's growth continues to be remarkable. The 259 growth for Mon County is less than usual, but in view of the fact that it is taking place in spite of the loss of a couple hundred IT jobs at Mylan and coal mine layoffs, I believe, is a testament to the strength of growth at WVU Medicine. I took their applicant and hire numbers directly from their site, but I believe it is important to remember that available workers in various categories differ from category to category. For example, there might well be hundreds of as yet unfilled nursing positions for which they are vigorously hiring, and I know they are looking for more than a hundred physicians for their Morgantown operations, but they might be full up for orderly, office, and CNA positions. Especially for the support staff, those jobs are very desirable compared with say working in a physician's private office because they have regular benefits packages.

Old 04-08-2018, 03:04 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,615,978 times
Unless something drastic occurs Mon County and Morgantown should continue to grow. It may not always be a consistent rate as you alluded earlier but the university and medical community create job opportunities that simply do not exist in other areas.

Berkeley and Jefferson's growth will likely pick up steam as the DC area economy continues to be strong and prices keep increasing in the closer-in suburbs. Neighboring Loudoun County, Virginia is still among the fastest growing larger counties in the country but the huge 'bang for your buck' factor it once offered compared to counties closer to the Beltway has greatly diminished. Add in the fact that the western half of the county is all but off limits to suburban development to protect the 'rural' flavor around the vineyards, breweries, battlefields, etc and you have no other place for the growth to go other than farther west towards Charles Town, Martinsburg and Winchester.

Old 04-12-2018, 02:16 PM

778 posts, read 796,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Unless something drastic occurs Mon County and Morgantown should continue to grow. It may not always be a consistent rate as you alluded earlier but the university and medical community create job opportunities that simply do not exist in other areas.

Berkeley and Jefferson's growth will likely pick up steam as the DC area economy continues to be strong and prices keep increasing in the closer-in suburbs. Neighboring Loudoun County, Virginia is still among the fastest growing larger counties in the country but the huge 'bang for your buck' factor it once offered compared to counties closer to the Beltway has greatly diminished. Add in the fact that the western half of the county is all but off limits to suburban development to protect the 'rural' flavor around the vineyards, breweries, battlefields, etc and you have no other place for the growth to go other than farther west towards Charles Town, Martinsburg and Winchester.
I agree. but at some point in the very near future, both regions are going to reach the simple mean and any gains will be small if at all. Geography and lack of infrastructure will hold back Monongalia County and the ever-rising cost of land will do the same in the eastern panhandle. Any further growth past a certain point will only come by effort and at that point both locations will stabilize for a generation or so. I do not see Mon Co growing by the past rate and in fact think it may already be cooling off to an ebb state. Berkley and Jefferson still have some room but that is only going to last another 5 to 10 years and then they too will be static. We saw it in Putnam. After that happens, where will growth come in the state? I do not see any area that will grow after these two locations reach a mean.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I agree. but at some point in the very near future, both regions are going to reach the simple mean and any gains will be small if at all. Geography and lack of infrastructure will hold back Monongalia County and the ever-rising cost of land will do the same in the eastern panhandle. Any further growth past a certain point will only come by effort and at that point both locations will stabilize for a generation or so. I do not see Mon Co growing by the past rate and in fact think it may already be cooling off to an ebb state. Berkley and Jefferson still have some room but that is only going to last another 5 to 10 years and then they too will be static. We saw it in Putnam. After that happens, where will growth come in the state? I do not see any area that will grow after these two locations reach a mean.
I don't know how long it has been since you've been to Mon County, and while our infrastructure is inadequate, we are making progress in that regard, but the development efforts now are in the western end of the county between Morgantown and Mylan Park. We are nowhere near the saturation point you mentioned. The infrastructure is being put in place along with development there. There will be more urban development too as The University expands on the Downtown Campus along the Mon River.

At some point, Martinsburg will start growing up instead of just out.

Old 04-13-2018, 06:57 AM

583 posts, read 594,193 times
I’ve never understood why it is not apparent to WV towns of any size that they need to maximize their use of space by building up? Charleston kind of did that in the 60’s but overall WV towns do not recognize how little land they actually have. As for the reference to Putnam I can definitely see where it looks like most usable relatively flat land is gone. Again if WV wants to grow then some outside of the box thinking needs to come into play on how to develop and maximize land usage potential.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I don't know how long it has been since you've been to Mon County, and while our infrastructure is inadequate, we are making progress in that regard, but the development efforts now are in the western end of the county between Morgantown and Mylan Park. We are nowhere near the saturation point you mentioned. The infrastructure is being put in place along with development there. There will be more urban development too as The University expands on the Downtown Campus along the Mon River.

You are correct to point out that Monongalia County has heavily invested in infrastructure, but it is like anything else, all of the easy to do stuff has been done. They are now being forced to work on the less easy projects in areas that are further out and in rougher, less urbanized (for now) terrain. After that, they get into the area where there will only be growth if they find gold in them hills. Places like Southern California can build on a cliff and make a mint doing it, but that is not going to be a call in Monongalia County. All of the good land has been utilized, most if not all of the decent land has been developed and they are now moving out to those areas that are either too remote for now to make it financially sound or the land is just to costly to build on. That is going to stunt future growth and actually, I think it is already being felt. Monongalia County probably only has effective room with the current set up for a few more thousand and then it is at pool stage until another big effort comes in to build more in a generation or so.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
I’ve never understood why it is not apparent to WV towns of any size that they need to maximize their use of space by building up? Charleston kind of did that in the 60’s but overall WV towns do not recognize how little land they actually have. As for the reference to Putnam I can definitely see where it looks like most usable relatively flat land is gone. Again if WV wants to grow then some outside of the box thinking needs to come into play on how to develop and maximize land usage potential.

You may have noticed that growth that was once so hot in Putnam County is now only barely in the positive. They have reached pool stage because to expand further costs more money than most want to pay.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Martinsburg has to solve it's crime/drug issues before anyone is going to do anything major there. Of all of the places in the state, it has the worst crime and you would expect that to be in Huntington or Charleston, heck even Morgantown before Martinsburg. But drug-related crime is highest in Martinsburg per capita.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia