Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 06:58 PM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,504 times

Advertisements

We currently live around Knoxville, TN. Elevation of 983 feet. Unbearable humidity. I have COPD (pretty ironic for a nonsmoker, wouldn't you say?) and humidity is my BIGGEST problem. This is my first summer coming up since diagnosis and I dread it. I fully expect to be gardening by moonlight as I just can't BREATHE when it's humid.

We've looked west and worried about lack of water, we've looked north and worried about, well, not much really but my husband is rather resistant to going north. What i'd really love is a real winter with snow, but one that won't bury us, enough water for us, the horses and a garden without invoking an act of congress to get it.

We ride occasionally in the Pisgah National Forest around Harmon's Den in NC. I've noticed it can be hotter n' Hades where we park but as we ride the trails (elevation tops out at 2900-3200 ft) I discover it's much easier to breathe.

Would ANYWHERE in West Virginia fit the bill?

I figure if I can't go far enough north, I go far enough up.

Anyone want to weigh in with your ideas?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 08:46 PM

97 posts, read 766,462 times
It usually depends on where you're at in West Virginia. Where I live (Charleston-Huntington area), the climate's not too much different from Knoxville. We have a lot of humidity here in the summer and it can get very hot. Temperatures this past summer got up into the hundreds a few times. We usually just have a little more snow compared to east Tennessee in the winter. When there is snow on the ground, it melts the next day. However though, when you go to the higher elevations, of course, the temperature drops, and there's plenty of places in West Virginia that's in the higher elevations. In my opinion, I think the best place for y'all would be Bluefield or Princeton in Mercer County. The city of Bluefield is 2,611 FT. above sea level and Princeton is at 2,460 feet. Summers there aren't too bad, it can get hot with lots of humidity every once in a while, not too often though (temps usually in the 80's). Winter there is usually mild, and they usually get the same amount of snow as here, but sometimes they get a little more of it (temps usually in the 40's). Also, if you ever need to get back to Tennessee or North Carolina, it's not very far at all. It's usually only a hour and a half to Kingsport, Bristol, Johnson City, TN and an hour and a half to northern NC down Interstate 77.

I really hope this was helpful to you.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:15 AM

120 posts, read 631,622 times
Default re

If you really want to avoid humidity, you need to look to the Western part of the country.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
In the east-central part of the state (Potomac Highlands), look into any place along Rte 219, from Lewisburg north through Marlinton, Elkins, and Davis.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:14 AM

19,764 posts, read 22,666,896 times
The higher elevations generally seem more comfortable. The temps are lower and the winds are brisk so even if the RH (relative humidity) is higher, it doesn't seem as bad. I know I enjoy camping in the Elkins / Blackwater area more so than at say Bluestone. One summer we had to leave Bluestone because it was so hot, humid and miserable that we couldn't sleep at night. we headed to Blackwater and it was clear, brisk and enjoyable.
Here's some interesting average climatology data that may be of some interest:

elkins WV average humidity - Ask.com Web Search

Average relative humidity in Elkins Wv for July- A.M.= 82% / P.M.= 55%
Average relative humiduty in Beckley WV for July- A.M. = 89% / P.M.= 61%
Average relative humidity in Charleston WV for July- A.M. 90% / P.M.= 56%
Average rh in Knoxville KY in July - A.M. 85% / P.M. = 54%

So on average, the RH in Knoxville, according this, is lower than even Elkins WV.

Hmm- I'm not buying that.. I'll bet NOAA.GOV has better data..

Old 03-19-2008, 09:42 AM

55 posts, read 235,829 times
Ditto the Rt. 219 advice. I live a quarter mile off of 219 near Snowshoe Mountain Resort. You don't need air conditioning, that's for sure. Everyone around here has an outdoor fire pit. You need it in the summer for sitting outside in the evenings. Many very secluded places to live, and about 1/2 hour drive to a bigger grocery store than the local market, but you quickly get used to it. Also, we have the benefit of a year 'round resort just a couple of miles away, and of course the amenities that go along with it. Great flyfishing year 'round. Skiing, hiking, nearly a million acres of National Forest adjoining us, one of the top 100 public golf courses in the country, but a population of only about 10,000 people in a 1000 square mile county. Come see us!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 09:47 AM

If I could commute to Clarksburg from Elkins, I'd be there now....

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,690 times
Well, 3R, you could commute from Elkins to Clarksburg, it's just the 1.5 hr drive each way would probably get pretty old, real quick.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Believe me, I've thought of every conceivable way to accomplish it.

You may find this hard to believe, but I'm not that fond of the 'city life', lol.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:05 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Well, 3R, you could commute from Elkins to Clarksburg, it's just the 1.5 hr drive each way would probably get pretty old, real quick.
Are you serious? it takes you 1.5 hr to get to Clarksburg from Elkins. I could leave my house in Elkins and be in Morgantown in an hour an half. I took some two lane road that goes through Grafton. I can't remember the route number. I know when I take 79 to Clarksburg it only takes me about 50 minutes to get there. I mean, I don't let grass grow under my car, but I'm not going 120 either.

By the way, I know several people who do the drive to the FBI center in Clarksburg from Elkins. They carpool, so its not bad. My dad works in Fairmont actually, he has an apartment there, so he can stay when he wants. But sometimes he too carpools with friends who also work in Fairmont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia