Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 04:29 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times

Advertisements

Interesting article, and I found the comments beneath it thoughtful as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5038119ff7cb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 08:36 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Meh. College grad here who moved back to Appalachia knowing I would not find "professional" high paying work like I was moving towards in the outer suburbs of D.C. I went home because I love it and know I can make a difference just by working hard, carrying on our traditions, and raising my kids to do the same.

Areas with struggling economies would love to attract college graduates. It is college grads like the speaker, who despite her attempts to convince the reader of the alternative, want nothing to do with struggling economies. It is all about what you value in life and want for yourself and your family. The speaker is free to make her choice, and even lament that she can't change the region, state, world into the way she wants it to be, but in the end she has a choice to move home and isn't taking it. Her priorities are elsewhere.

Last edited by westsideboy; 03-07-2018 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 10:30 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
I do think it has to do with your attitude. Look what they did with the old salt works.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/busine...be42217ff.html

Old 03-08-2018, 01:24 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkydawg View Post
Interesting article, and I found the comments beneath it thoughtful as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5038119ff7cb
Half of the people in the comments section were insulting and not worth listening to. When they call others who don't share their worldview ignorant, hateful bigots, they're merely projecting their own personality and character flaws onto others.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:44 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
Agree or disagree, the author makes some valid points about West Virginia and how the state, as a whole, hasn't done itself any favors to be better positioned for the future.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:43 PM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Agree or disagree, the author makes some valid points about West Virginia and how the state, as a whole, hasn't done itself any favors to be better positioned for the future.
Yeah, that's probably true. The author doesn't really have many suggestions on improvements beyond her personal wants and opinions on teacher salaries though. No blame implied, if there were easy answers, they would have already been done. That is sorta why coal, gas, timber, and other natural resources are promoted. You have to sell what you've got as a community and natural resources are plentiful in WV.

I am not convinced that Wheeling, specifically, is such a bad place for college grads. There are 4 colleges in the immediate area, you are on the fringe of Greater Pittsburgh, so commuting east is an option too. I guess I don't necessarily buy the idea that a college grad specialized in foreign language is DOA in Wheeling, WV. I hope CT comes along and gives his $.02 as a Northern Panhandle native.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:51 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
I agree that the author doesn't offer much in terms of ideas or solutions and I'm not sure there are any new ideas beyond stating that the State needs to do more to diversify the economy and spread the tax base beyond natural resources and tourism.

I've had similar thoughts about Wheeling but I keep coming back to the idea that maybe the area is too far out on the fringe of Pittsburgh. When I make visits to Wheeling I feel the influence from Pittsburgh and southwestern PA but it doesn't seem, at least on the surface, that it matters in terms of the economy. I could be wrong though since I'm not there enough to fully experience the area.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 PM

583 posts, read 594,193 times
The Washington Post has this tendency every couple of years to run some article on WV that they try to use to say hey here's a place that is worse than actual DC or inner Baltimore so we really don't have it that bad and you should feel good about yourself if you live there because WV is really bad. Basically it's a good liner for kitty litter or a bird cage.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:05 PM

537 posts, read 958,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
The Washington Post has this tendency every couple of years to run some article on WV that they try to use to say hey here's a place that is worse than actual DC or inner Baltimore so we really don't have it that bad and you should feel good about yourself if you live there because WV is really bad. Basically it's a good liner for kitty litter or a bird cage.
Disagree completely with your take on it. I feel like the Post has written some interesting, thoughtful articles about WV, re coal, poverty, opioids, etc. They've also written about our role in our nation's history and our natural beauty.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:36 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
It reads like an article in the Onion.

However, armed with my bachelor’s degree in modern languages and anthropology, I was met with bleak professional options.

No, there aren't likely many job openings in WV for that skill set but she knew that before pursuing it. Maybe 100 years ago but there isn't a much need for Italian interpreters either.

She complains about coal but the energy producers are expanding in WV into renewable energy sources. Why would she have not pursued an education in that area? We aren't likely going to see many Italians brought in to do these jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia