Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:11 PM

3 posts, read 11,149 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about purchasing a home in The Woods Hedgesville WV. I have sold my farm in Pennsylvania and am looking to downsize. I find the fact that this community offers road maintenance and other amenities appealing to me but I am concerned about several things.
1. I have a dog and I would like to have fencing for her
2. I am concerned about the bears getting to her if she is tied out
3. I like to garden and all the pictures I see of the homes for sale do not have any plantings around the houses. Is this a restriction?
4. Can anyone comment on living there? Pros or Cons?
Thanks
Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM

308 posts, read 799,083 times
i stayed there for 3 months while my house was being built in falling waters,it is a beautiful place that has both indoor and outdoor swimming pools,a gymnasium,laundry facilities,restaurant,golf course.The only obvious issue is that there is nothing else around it such as stores and other shopping.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:19 AM

Reesey,
I agree that is one issue that I can see. I currently live 6 miles from stores so I am used to that. I think that the commute from The Woods to stores would be much less but I'll to drive the routes to make certain.
Carol

Old 10-23-2014, 07:25 AM

308 posts, read 799,083 times
sorry to say but i believe the commute would be more than 6 miles but i may be wrong

Old 10-23-2014, 05:03 PM

1,229 posts, read 859,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPeep View Post
I am thinking about purchasing a home in The Woods Hedgesville WV. I have sold my farm in Pennsylvania and am looking to downsize. I find the fact that this community offers road maintenance and other amenities appealing to me but I am concerned about several things.
1. I have a dog and I would like to have fencing for her
2. I am concerned about the bears getting to her if she is tied out
3. I like to garden and all the pictures I see of the homes for sale do not have any plantings around the houses. Is this a restriction?
4. Can anyone comment on living there? Pros or Cons?
Thanks
Carol

Carol ----- I spent nearly 20 years on 17---completely forested--- acres in a county that has arguably the highest concentration of black bear per square mile in the lower 48 - and I can tell you unequivocally....the last thing your dog will ever have to worry about is being bothered by a black bear. Black Bear are hugely afraid of dogs and people and seek to avoid them at all costs. I've seen them treed by dogs and they are squared to death

Now.....you and your dogs take a walk into the brush and come between a momma and her cubs - then we have a completely different ballgame. But the Momma and her cubs are not going to wonder onto your property and bother your dog.

I have a friend who both lives and grew up in the North Pole - and when they're fishing and the black bear try and steal their Salmon, they kick them and punch em' in the face.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:37 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,212 times
My parents have owned a home there since 1978,I live in the Sleepy Hollow subdivision a few miles east.Bears aren't going to bother your dog,i've never seen one,they keep away from people.

The Woods has an old section which is entirely wooded and a newer section near the golf courses which is almost entirely open.Gardening in the older section is a challenge because there is so much shade.

I bought a house in sleepy hollow because they are cheaper and have much less restrictive covenents.There are also fewer amenities but none that concern me but different people like different things.They plow the roads in both communities.

Old 11-08-2014, 05:39 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
I drove thru the Sleepy Hollow section going to a hiking trailhead in the Sleepy Creek WMA. I saw ash cans alongside the road, is that the snow removal plan? What type of covenants do they have? What is the relationship between Sleepy Hollow and The Woods?

Old 11-13-2014, 10:37 AM

3 posts, read 5,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I drove thru the Sleepy Hollow section going to a hiking trailhead in the Sleepy Creek WMA. I saw ash cans alongside the road, is that the snow removal plan? What type of covenants do they have? What is the relationship between Sleepy Hollow and The Woods?
There is no relationship other than proximity. I worked in the Woods restaurant for 5 years in the late 90's. When Lee Montgomery was the executive chef, that restaurant was top notch. They made a huge mistake not paying him more. They also ran off some of the higher end clientele. It is a shame that they tore down the restaurant.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:32 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
I have lived in Berkeley Co for 40+ yrs the Only bear I even seen was a baby the security guards at the VA Medical Center were trying to catch LOL I Never heard of any Bear going after a dog BUT my uncles use to Bear hunt with friends that used dogs! I be more worried [& am] about the Foxes! But then I have seen the fox 2 ft from my door & I live in the city of Martinsburg my dog is only 8#

The Woods will put you miles away from Stores & Medical Help... and as you age you may need help. Hard to find people willing to drive to far for min wage with the price of gas. Just saying things you should think about.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:15 PM

Katie1
You are right it is something to consider. I thought they put a new shopping center in Hedgesville though. I Thought they put a new shopping center in Hedgesville. I could be wrong but I remember seeing it the last time I took my dog to the vet. My previous vet was in Hedgesville and I had to drive there a lot last December. I was looking to buy a place that was secluded buy a place that was secluded but still offered amenities. I am definitely not a city girl!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia