Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times

Advertisements

King Coal Highway Authority wants $248M from feds - The Herald Dispatch

It'll be interesting to see if they get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,137 times
Every year they go up to Washington and pretty much get shot down 95% of the time. Hopefully they can at least secure funding to extend the Highway from the twin bridges to no where to Airport Road and at least have a useable segment of highway in Mercer County. Everytime I drive by those two bridges it pisses me off. King Coal Highway is making great strides in Mingo County though.

I don't understand why they would request $20 million for the KCH/CFX Interchange when the roadbed for the interchange has been built and its goin to be 20-40 years before either set of highways actually reach Welch.

Here is the Bluefield Daily Telegraph article on the funding request.

King Coal Highway supporters asking $66.9 million in federal dollars for project » Local News » Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV

Old 04-19-2013, 07:52 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Are they currently funding new projects? I thought sequestration put an end to that...

Old 04-19-2013, 07:55 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,952,889 times
Not sure about funding for new projects. With politics, nothing is ever absolute.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:40 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
Every year they go up to Washington and pretty much get shot down 95% of the time. Hopefully they can at least secure funding to extend the Highway from the twin bridges to no where to Airport Road and at least have a useable segment of highway in Mercer County. Everytime I drive by those two bridges it pisses me off. King Coal Highway is making great strides in Mingo County though.

I don't understand why they would request $20 million for the KCH/CFX Interchange when the roadbed for the interchange has been built and its goin to be 20-40 years before either set of highways actually reach Welch.

Here is the Bluefield Daily Telegraph article on the funding request.

King Coal Highway supporters asking $66.9 million in federal dollars for project » Local News » Bluefield Daily Telegraph, Bluefield, WV
I hope this gets funding but Im not expecting much from the Obama administration and his liberal agenda. If at the same time some mass transit folks are demanding more funding for the New York subway or the Chicago El guess where Obama will send that money?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:05 AM

939 posts, read 1,893,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I hope this gets funding but Im not expecting much from the Obama administration and his liberal agenda. If at the same time some mass transit folks are demanding more funding for the New York subway or the Chicago El guess where Obama will send that money?
Funding for a mass transit project in Arlington was just shot down. In addition, mass transit typically serves population centers that contain more people than the entire state of West Virginia, hence the disproportionate funding by population. If you look at funding per capita, you'd find that the federal government gives a whole lot more to rural areas.

If only schools had been better funded, we might not have to listen to ignorant statements like the one above. You should skip WV and just make the full transition to a double wide in Alabama.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:16 PM
rfp

333 posts, read 690,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavofring View Post
you should skip wv and just make the full transition to a double wide in alabama.
That is funny. LMAO!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:00 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,154 times
Quote:
The Chicago El & NYC subway serve tens of millions of people.

The KCH will serve ~100,000 - 120,000

The funding they're requesting is greatly disproportionate to the amount of people the project will serve.

Also, WV already receives more than $1 for each dollar we send to Washington; actually if my memory is serving me rightly, WV has on of the highest ratios in the nation in that regard.

Any good fiscal conservative would want this project killed

Old 04-22-2013, 06:43 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
I don't know why you think it is necessary to keep poking your right wing agenda into the WV forum, but it does occur to me that you are going to be miserable in the liberal atmosphere at UC. It's going to be fun to watch.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:23 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,150,707 times
https://www.bdtonline.com/news/contr...0a0d07368.html

I wasn't sure if it would be best to start a new thread or rekindle this one, but here goes. Above is a link to a story about the King Coal Highway Authority recently getting approval to approve a contract for work in Mercer County. From the story; "The project will transition the so-called “Bridge to Nowhere” in Bluefield to the “bridge to somewhere,” as it will link Route 460 at John Nash Boulevard to Airport Road with a 3.8-mile extension."

I bring this up because my new position at work allows me, and is also a requirement, to travel around the region. Today, I found myself in Mingo and Logan counties and I traveled the partially completed portion of the King Coal Highway between Gilbert and Delbarton. It has been at least 4 years, if not a little longer, since I traveled the area and that stretch of road. Sadly, it appears the same as it did then. I encountered quite a few pick-up trucks towing an ATV or side-by-side and had even more road going all-terrain vehicles pass me on Rt 52 as they made their way between trail heads and such. Of course, this makes a person wonder what could be, in terms of tourism, for the area. Regarding that, a timber-trek and zip-line operation, similar to those in the New River Gorge, seems like a natural fit to the area. Especially if one would utilize the ridge tops along the completed section of road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia