Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 05:34 PM

423 posts, read 1,237,808 times

Advertisements

where does the MARC train cross thru virginia ?? i thought that it entered into md at harpers ferry and traversed md entirely to get into dc.

at $4/gal, i would guess that you want to have as short of a commute as possible.

i'd say that there are plenty of opportunities for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 09:18 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,616,892 times
The MARC train does go straight from WV to MD and into DC. I was referring to the fact that in the DC area in general schools aren't located near any of the commuter rail stations. There are indeed plenty of opportunities for the OP in either Eastern Panhandle, suburban MD or NoVA, but schools simply will not be located near those stations, at least not within walking distance. She could take the train into DC and work in a public school there that is likely near a Metro station but the public schools in the city are absolutely horrendous, on the bright side there probably aren't that many applicants there.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM

28 posts, read 85,432 times
The marc train does go to Frederick now. It's not the straightest shot from WV, but if i get a teaching job within the city of Frederick, the Marc might be pretty feasible. But according to some maps, Frederick county is so close to WV in some places that driving should be too much of an issue either.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
I had a friend who taught in Frederick and he nosed around the neighborhood and found an old lady who rented a small apartment to him for $500 a month...within walking distance of the elementary school...He worked there for 5 years, saved his money, got his masters and then bagged it all to work for the CIA...
The weather is nice...perhaps a nice walk in your working neighborhood might be profitable...much of the hype about danger is only that...hype...

Old 04-25-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I had a friend who taught in Frederick and he nosed around the neighborhood and found an old lady who rented a small apartment to him for $500 a month...within walking distance of the elementary school...He worked there for 5 years, saved his money, got his masters and then bagged it all to work for the CIA...
The weather is nice...perhaps a nice walk in your working neighborhood might be profitable...much of the hype about danger is only that...hype...
My dad has walked to work everyday for almost 13 years. In fact he'll walk anywhere in any city or country we visit ( i have serious proof). He says the exact same thing. It's almost some sort of dream for me (I know that sounds ridiculous) to walk to my job. I'll save money on workout equipment.
Anyway, it sounds like knowing the right people is really helpful too. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled to personal landlords as well as apartment complexes.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:05 AM

139 posts, read 153,545 times
Take a grammar course before you get your degree. It could reflect in your resume'.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Abney View Post
Take a grammar course before you get your degree. It could reflect in your resume'.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that really wasn't necessary. I take grammar courses in French, Spanish and English all day long. If I thought this was another class, I would never have written. I came here for great advice from great people, not to start arguments or take cheap shots.

This is a cheerful post requesting advice. Let's not make this ugly.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
The economy is chilling in many areas of the country.. the DC area is one of these...house values have fell almost 25% in some areas there...
I expect someone would have an entire basement apartment for rent and that market growing for the cash it could generate.
Let dad do the walking for you...who could say no to a school teacher anyway...and another thing...check out the churches as part of that network...

Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 PM

139 posts, read 153,545 times
I was not aware of your academic experience. Thank you for the information needed to fully grasp the meaning in your post. I meant no offense, but offered a response I have given to students countless times in the past...

I often review grammar rules I have forgotten for lack of deliberate use... It is the WAY.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Abney View Post
I was not aware of your academic experience. Thank you for the information needed to fully grasp the meaning in your post. I meant no offense, but offered a response I have given to students countless times in the past...

I often review grammar rules I have forgotten for lack of deliberate use... It is the WAY.
I understand. After all, there's no harm in stating one's case correctly, no matter what the original intention was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia