Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 PM

10 posts, read 24,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
"Big Bill" Lias was reputed to be the kingpin in the Wheeling/Weirton area, with ties to the mob in Steubenville and Cleveland. Supposedly he was big in numbers and bootlegging.
I had the opportunity to met Big Bill when I was just a kid, he actually was very nice to me......he did have two very large dudes standing next to him while we talked. That was at the old horse track on the island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 01:24 PM

163 posts, read 449,759 times
Wheeling was called Lil Chicago and was big in the liquor running trade. Good times.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:08 AM

7 posts, read 39,550 times
Default Organized Crime Stories, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat Whitmeyer View Post
I have heard stories about Mafia in Charleston, Clarksburg, Fairmont, Wheeling, etc., and also in the coalfields. However, I am most interested in organized crime in Charleston as I am researching for a book. I am a Charleston native and am looking specifically for information about events that occurred in the late 1960s and early 1970s involving organized crime figures, police officers and/or political figures.

Thanks so much for your help, but I know all the general info. I'm looking for information, specifically, about the arrest of three Charleston police officers in the early 1970s. They were tied to organized crime in the area. I think one died before he went to prison and another one died not long after he got out. I am working on a book about this interesting period in Kanawha/Fayette County history and need help. I will not reveal my sources. Although they were Charleston officers, there were ties to Smithers/Boomer. According to newspaper accounts I've read, the (young) federal agents on the case were now Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper and the late Mike Roark, formerly mayor of Charleston.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM

7 posts, read 39,550 times
Default Daniel Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
When I think of D. Boone the only mental image I get is of Fess Parker. Any pix of Boone exist? I have no idea what he would look like.
I was just at Fort Boonesborough State Park, near Winchester, Ky., two weeks ago. There are illustrations, and a painting of Boone there. There is also a written physical description - and it mentioned that his hair was more of the reddish-brown variety than black.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:12 AM

71 posts, read 176,320 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for your help, but I know all the general info. I'm looking for information, specifically, about the arrest of three Charleston police officers in the early 1970s. They were tied to organized crime in the area. I think one died before he went to prison and another one died not long after he got out. I am working on a book about this interesting period in Kanawha/Fayette County history and need help. I will not reveal my sources. Although they were Charleston officers, there were ties to Smithers/Boomer. According to newspaper accounts I've read, the (young) federal agents on the case were now Kanawha County Commission President Kent Carper and the late Mike Roark, formerly mayor of Charleston.

Might one of those officers initials be RC?

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 5,053 times
Default I have someone you should contact

My father was responsible for bringing down dozens of these orgainized crime figures, police officers, and poltical figures. He is still alive and well at 74 years. Their charges were brought against them in the late 70's and early 80's by the WV US Attorney. Contact me and we can discuss.

Quote:
I have heard stories about Mafia in Charleston, Clarksburg, Fairmont, Wheeling, etc., and also in the coalfields. However, I am most interested in organized crime in Charleston as I am researching for a book. I am a Charleston native and am looking specifically for information about events that occurred in the late 1960s and early 1970s involving organized crime figures, police officers and/or political figures.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,879 times
Default Number 9 Disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I do write...every night for a few hours...3 am to 5 am usually...two books in the hopper.
Theme:
Military guy gets shot...finds love interest...they live in West Virginia...over come some tragic situation...learn from it...looking for a publisher...saving up for McClain in Parsons to do it in a year or two.

As for writing about people who need privacy...will never happen.

Next one is begun...about the #9 Coal Mine in Farmington...research has been difficult as few survivors exist...the real story about that event needs to be told. Will be historical fiction just like the others...thanks for asking...
very passionate hobby and CJG/B was my best critic...I miss her a lot...North Carolina got her...one extra fine lady.

Dave, I think it's great that you are or have written a book on the the Number 9 disaster. My grandfather, Gary Martin, was one of the 3 men that were last to come out of the mine. He actually came out of the mine with two other men inside a bucket. He was the miner that was sitting on the left inside the bucket that was looking upwards. Unfortunately, he has since passed away, but I will ALWAYS remember the stories he told of the mine disaster, life in the mines, and of his fellow miners that made it out of the mines and the ones who perished. That was one event that I feel should be in all the History books.
-Travis

Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Travis: That book on our work at the Farmington Mine is finished and in the can.
I'm gathering up the money for the publisher as we speak.

Gary Martin was a great friend and we spent several years playing with the Shinnston Orchestra.
He on the tuba and me on the trombone. His favorite March was "The Stars and Stripes Forever".

In his life, he gave everything to everybody...family, country and community.
Just the memory of him is a treasure.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
"Big Bill" Lias was reputed to be the kingpin in the Wheeling/Weirton area, with ties to the mob in Steubenville and Cleveland. Supposedly he was big in numbers and bootlegging.
The Wheeling-Moundsville-Bellaire OH area was the exception to the rule. Organized crime in that area did not have direct ties to the Mafia. They had an arrangement with that group that seperated operations at the Brooke County line in West Virginia, and the Jefferson County line in Ohio. That is not to say the two groups did not cooperate with each other, but they agreed to not compete. Lias was the gambling (but not the prostitution) kingpin. He was not Italian American, but rather was of Greek descent.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 PM

367 posts, read 621,838 times
Never a family, but in its day places like Huntington and Wheeling had money and where there was money to be spent there was "activity". I'm sure boys from Steubenville, Pittsburgh and Youngstown had a few things going on, probably no made guys though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia