Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 12:02 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,492,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Even together, I don't see them providing enough power to keep the lights on across the US. See California right now.
The problem with CA isn't electrical generation; its in electrical transmission. Whenever it's dry and they have high winds, they need to shut off the affected transmission lines to prevent wild fires. And actually, a transition to a decentralized, locally sourced power system made up of predominately solar and wind would alleviate this problem.

A 100% renewable energy grid made up of wind, solar, and hydro is perfectly feasible and already occurring in other countries like Norway, Iceland, and Paraguay. Other countries like Mexico and Germany will be in excess of 75% renewable energy by 2040 without any additional change in adoption trajectory or unforeseen technological advancement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 08:21 AM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
the best way for a financial revival in WV is to move out of the state.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:51 AM

583 posts, read 594,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post

Yes. There are thousands of people living in areas of WV where they will NEVER have economic opportunity and those folks need to be bought out and moved to sunbelt states where they will have better jobs, educational options and lower costs of living.

Right now they have nothing to do except drugs. The jobs inside the hills are gone but the people are left behind and they don't know how to help themselves and they are hopeless. We need a program to get them moved to a better place where they have a chance.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:31 AM

1,889 posts, read 2,151,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Since the 2010 Census, the state has lost a little over 60k residents. Once the 2020 Census is completed, it will be interesting to see if the number goes above 65k. I think it just might.

Hopefully those who have left have found better opportunities.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:12 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Yes. There are thousands of people living in areas of WV where they will NEVER have economic opportunity and those folks need to be bought out and moved to sunbelt states where they will have better jobs, educational options and lower costs of living.

Right now they have nothing to do except drugs. The jobs inside the hills are gone but the people are left behind and they don't know how to help themselves and they are hopeless. We need a program to get them moved to a better place where they have a chance.
Most people don't degrade into drug addicted hopeless individuals just because they don't have the same "economic opportunity" as someone living somewhere else. I wouldn't trade the mountains, the forest, or my heritage for "the opportunity" to live as a transplant in someone else's community.

The attitude that says people in Appalachia just need to get over it and move out is part of the problem. We don't have to. We can live here, work here, and be happy productive citizens and members of your community. To say otherwise pushes away the people who we need to stick around.

The first step to teach people how to help themselves is to show them what matters most in life; family, friends, community, heritage. Money, jobs, and physical possessions are way down on this list.

Last edited by westsideboy; 11-11-2020 at 10:53 AM..

Old 11-11-2020, 12:00 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,883,540 times
Well stated, westsideboy!

Old 11-11-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Most people don't degrade into drug addicted hopeless individuals just because they don't have the same "economic opportunity" as someone living somewhere else. I wouldn't trade the mountains, the forest, or my heritage for "the opportunity" to live as a transplant in someone else's community.

The attitude that says people in Appalachia just need to get over it and move out is part of the problem. We don't have to. We can live here, work here, and be happy productive citizens and members of your community. To say otherwise pushes away the people who we need to stick around.

The first step to teach people how to help themselves is to show them what matters most in life; family, friends, community, heritage. Money, jobs, and physical possessions are way down on this list.
How will you survive to enjoy family, friends, community, and heritage if there aren't enough well paying jobs and opportunities? Your monthly bills and needs won't pay for themselves. There aren't many industries and businesses moving to West Virginia.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:33 PM

583 posts, read 594,590 times
No work equals no hope and no hope leads to bad things. Most of the hills and hollers in southern WV are trashed. The water is polluted. Flooding is always a problem. That terrain is no one's friend down there. It's a people trap and those people need help getting out of it. Not in the form of disability checks to keep them stuck either.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
This is something that will likely take the natural gas job market down even further. A regional power plant is looking to mix natural gas with hydrogen and then potentially switch to all hydrogen in the upcoming years. This would result in a zero emissions power plant. If successful, I imagine other power plants will follow suit. Natural gas will take a big nose dive if that happens and WV will have tourism to rely on as the main industry. Our leaders had better start planning for this now.

https://www.herald-dispatch.com/opin...01525efa4.html
As a follow-up to this post.
https://wvmetronews.com/2020/11/11/a...-announcement/

Old 11-12-2020, 06:52 AM

7,020 posts, read 11,314,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
How will you survive to enjoy family, friends, community, and heritage if there aren't enough well paying jobs and opportunities? Your monthly bills and needs won't pay for themselves. There aren't many industries and businesses moving to West Virginia.
I don't know the on-the-ground reality in every part of the state, I am sure there are differences. Up where I live, we have tipped over to the point where there isn't enough willing work force to take the available jobs. Anyone who wants to work can, just maybe not in a job or position you would prefer.

And that's what I am getting at. Come over to the MD forum and you see plenty of people with great jobs and big incomes but would prefer to live somewhere less crowded or with more scenic beauty. You can't have it all, and as a native of Appalachia, I feel like we allow outsiders to define and then degrade our communities and what they have to offer because of an over emphasis on money and material things.

Environmental destruction does change the equation. If natural resources are destroyed and polluted, it is harder for people to stay around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia