Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 08:36 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,438,355 times

Advertisements

So Jefferson County/Harpers Ferry is pretty much an exurb of metro DC, with most residents working in the Dulles/Tysons area if not inside the beltway. As well, teachers/police/fire from Fairfax/Loudoun.

But what about further out beyond Harpers Ferry?
I imagine Charlestown is the same but Martinsburg and Berekely County seems to have a different vibe and is obviously more distant. That really is too far and disconnected to be a DC exurb for white collar workers, and the subdivisions I have seen are much smaller and modest YET that area is more populated than Jefferson and is having explosive growth.

So my question for Berekely/Martinsburg, if not white collar DC exurbites going to Dulles and Tysons, then what is driving the growth and who are these residents/where are they working?
My guess would be Berekely/Martinsburg is where public service and blue collar workers in Loudoun (and perhaps Fairfax but I can't see Montgomery or inside the beltway) are living.
Is that correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 08:44 AM

210 posts, read 417,023 times
I know people who live in Martinsburg who take the MARC into DC for work. Feds with good jobs. I don't think it's all that uncommon.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So Jefferson County/Harpers Ferry is pretty much an exurb of metro DC, with most residents working in the Dulles/Tysons area if not inside the beltway. As well, teachers/police/fire from Fairfax/Loudoun.

But what about further out beyond Harpers Ferry?
I imagine Charlestown is the same but Martinsburg and Berekely County seems to have a different vibe and is obviously more distant. That really is too far and disconnected to be a DC exurb for white collar workers, and the subdivisions I have seen are much smaller and modest YET that area is more populated than Jefferson and is having explosive growth.

So my question for Berekely/Martinsburg, if not white collar DC exurbites going to Dulles and Tysons, then what is driving the growth and who are these residents/where are they working?
My guess would be Berekely/Martinsburg is where public service and blue collar workers in Loudoun (and perhaps Fairfax but I can't see Montgomery or inside the beltway) are living.
Is that correct?
I've lived in Martinsburg most of my life. I don't have specific numbers (if they even exist), but I can speak from personal observation based on my commuter friends, neighbors, and folks I meet who move here.

Most of the commuters in Martinsburg/Spring Mills/Falling Waters areas seem to want quick access to I-70 (via I-81) because they work down the I-270 corridor. Think of everything Frederick County, Maryland and east. In South Berkeley (Inwood/Bunker Hill/Gerrardstown), folks are more likely shooting down I-66 or VA 7 to the Dulles Greenway. A lot of Loudoun, Fairfax and onward toward DC.

At least 3 of my immediate neighbors (pre-pandemic) in my north Martinsburg community commute to Nova. I was part of a men's group consisting of two DC/Nova commuters living in Berkeley, another one in Jefferson (again, pre-pandemic). So, it's truly a mixed bag of marbles...so to speak.

Occupations range from high-level federal government jobs (the folks who say "if I told you, I'd have to kill you"...and might actually mean it), to tech/IT, teachers, fire/police/EMT, etc.

It's worth noting that a lot of folks who live in Berkeley work in Hagerstown, Maryland and (in my case) Winchester, Virginia. Also, Procter & Gamble's recent opening in Berkeley County, along with several warehouse/distribution entities, have been bringing folks here to live. The I-81 corridor helps Berkeley County tremendously with residential and commercial growth.

You bring up a great question as to why Berkeley is seeing rapid residential growth (even through 2020) versus Jefferson, despite having a similar commuter base. My theory (someone can weigh in with a more informed answer): Berkeley seems to be much more relaxed when it comes to zoning regulations and development. This is why everywhere we see numerous subdivisions getting approval that lead to 500+ townhomes/single family homes on a little country road.

Jefferson seems to be a little more careful around what gets approved and how projects proceed infrastructure-wise. Yes, you do see these large subdivisions....but it seems more carefully regulated. Some of that could be because of the historic nature of Jefferson. For a commercial example, a few years back a national pharmacy chain (can't remember which one) had to develop a specific store design just to "blend in" with the surrounding historical architecture in Charles Town. I can't see Martinsburg or Berkeley County ever requesting something like that.

Lastly, I completely agree with NOVAEER on the MARC commuter train. While it has had battles in recent years with the WV legislature and funding, it has always been a selling point for folks wanting to get to Union Station.

Back in March when the pandemic started, I thought this would surely pump the breaks on growth. However, the Berkeley County Planning Commission is still approving 200-600 unit subdivisions (based on monthly meeting minutes), so I guess not. Clearly, the developers still see a need and aren't too concerned.

All great points and questions, Hudlander.

Last edited by mmccul; 12-10-2020 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-12-2020, 10:57 AM

13 posts, read 16,323 times
I am one of the IT people who has teleworked ever since March 14. Don't miss the commute via Marc Brunswick to Union Station either. Our agency is mulling over permanent changes/expansions to telework policy, given how well the pandemic one has worked out. That makes available broadband an even larger factor in where employees like me could live.

Last edited by ChipGallo; 12-12-2020 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: clarified telework changes

Old 12-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Thanks. I'm just thinking

-I don't doubt some people mega commute to the core of METRO DC (DC/Beltway/Inner Montgomery or Fairfax) but I really would think the vast majority of people in Berekley would not be those kind of commuters.
Jefferson to me seems like a place for Dulles corridor, to a lesser extent Tysons, white collar commuters.
Berekly, the subdivisions had a much more different feel that you don't see in NOVA/Metro DC which made me think most of the residents, and the newcomers, are likely either service workers in the DC suburbs (Police/Teacher in Loudoun/Frederick) or blue collar in the Dulles corridor (plumbers, mechanics, etc). Am I right?
Also, again where exactly are they going? It seems way too far for most to go to DC/the inner DC Core, and even Fairfax. I mentioned Loudoun, but that still is pretty far and thats just one county. I would think Frederick MD but that is pretty rural too...so where are these people working? What jobs are there in Winchester or Hagerstown?

Old 12-16-2020, 04:57 PM

7,009 posts, read 11,304,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Thanks. I'm just thinking

-I don't doubt some people mega commute to the core of METRO DC (DC/Beltway/Inner Montgomery or Fairfax) but I really would think the vast majority of people in Berekley would not be those kind of commuters.
Jefferson to me seems like a place for Dulles corridor, to a lesser extent Tysons, white collar commuters.
Berekly, the subdivisions had a much more different feel that you don't see in NOVA/Metro DC which made me think most of the residents, and the newcomers, are likely either service workers in the DC suburbs (Police/Teacher in Loudoun/Frederick) or blue collar in the Dulles corridor (plumbers, mechanics, etc). Am I right?
Also, again where exactly are they going? It seems way too far for most to go to DC/the inner DC Core, and even Fairfax. I mentioned Loudoun, but that still is pretty far and thats just one county. I would think Frederick MD but that is pretty rural too...so where are these people working? What jobs are there in Winchester or Hagerstown?
Suburbs tend to work in concentric circles. Inner beltway county residents commute to D.C. Folks in places like Frederick County, MD commute to Montgomery County. Residents of Washington County commute to Frederick, and Berkeley, WV, and Franklin PA commute to Washington County.

Obviously, this is an over simplification, but the general rule is that housing prices are too high for many types of workers to live where they work, so they commute. Then the housing prices in that commuter county start to rise since the buyers are making salaries from the next county over. Wash, rinse, repeat, until you hit about North Mtn. in MD, PA, and WV where the distances to commute become higher and the jobs to commute to become fewer and less worth the drive in terms of salary.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:37 PM

461 posts, read 1,283,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Suburbs tend to work in concentric circles. Inner beltway county residents commute to D.C. Folks in places like Frederick County, MD commute to Montgomery County. Residents of Washington County commute to Frederick, and Berkeley, WV, and Franklin PA commute to Washington County.

Obviously, this is an over simplification, but the general rule is that housing prices are too high for many types of workers to live where they work, so they commute. Then the housing prices in that commuter county start to rise since the buyers are making salaries from the next county over. Wash, rinse, repeat, until you hit about North Mtn. in MD, PA, and WV where the distances to commute become higher and the jobs to commute to become fewer and less worth the drive in terms of salary.
Nailed it westsideboy.

Old 12-17-2020, 09:59 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,614,416 times
We have several people in my Tysons office who commute from the Eastern Panhandle (at least pre-COVID). They deal with it for cheaper home prices and a more 'rural' pace of life. It's a haul - they would have to leave very very early to not have it take two hours but they all say it's worth it. From casual conversations they say a lot of their neighbors commute to jobs either along the I-270 corridor in Maryland or places like Reston and Herndon along the Dulles Toll Road in Northern Virginia. DC would be a hike if going by MARC, especially if you didn't work right near Union Station and had to transfer onto Metrorail but I am sure plenty do it.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
We have several people in my Tysons office who commute from the Eastern Panhandle (at least pre-COVID). They deal with it for cheaper home prices and a more 'rural' pace of life. It's a haul - they would have to leave very very early to not have it take two hours but they all say it's worth it. From casual conversations they say a lot of their neighbors commute to jobs either along the I-270 corridor in Maryland or places like Reston and Herndon along the Dulles Toll Road in Northern Virginia. DC would be a hike if going by MARC, especially if you didn't work right near Union Station and had to transfer onto Metrorail but I am sure plenty do it.
This is the common consensus I hear, as well. It's also worth noting that even pre-covid, a lot of folks I know who commute are partially telecommuters. They may only have to report to their DC/Nova/I-270-area office 1-3 days a week, then work from home the rest.

The Eastern Panhandle is a sweet spot for folks like this who want those jobs, but don't like the hassle and high costs of living in the city.

I think that's why we're still seeing population growth here even during the pandemic. As more jobs are going mostly or completely virtual, with no plans to return to entirely in-person even after the pandemic, it's going to be interesting to follow housing trends.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

So the majority of the Berekley/Martinsburg residents are committing to Martinsburg/Hagerstown as opposed to immediate DC/NOVA?
If so, what jobs are there in Hagerstown that is driving this amount of growth in Martinsburg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I assume Eastern Panhandle for these Tysons commuters is Jefferson County?
The subs in Jefferson County seem like the kind you find in Loudoun whereas Martinsburg are a lot more basic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia