Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,913 times

Advertisements

Thomas is the better route...and a little cheaper to build...Will open the ski areas up to more people and money..I remember when it was too expensive at 1 million per mile...now its 25 million and easier to do...
Those logging trucks are hauling for Senator Rocky...they certainly have the horsepower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
That's US-33, isn't it? Definitely a "sporting" road, great for a bike or one of my old Spitfires.
Spitfires? Care to share a little more? Maybe some pics???

Old 05-09-2008, 10:04 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,140 times
I'll have to dig for the pics... none are digital, all slides (obviously).

The roster:

'69 Blue Mk III
'71 Yellow Mk IV
'74 Yellow 1500

After the 1500, I graduated to TR-7s.

And my (one-time) pride and joy:

'67 Yellow/Black Mk II, SCCA GP road racer

Raced a couple of times at Summit Point, had my one bad crash there in fact. That was when I discovered there's a reason for dual master cylinders.

These were all in the DINK days, now it's a Trailblazer and a Cobalt.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:24 AM

I ran Rx-7's around the track a few times. I love the rotary engine..Such a delightful sound (once you circumvent the EPA mandated HP constrictions). Had a real gem a few years ago. Loved to ride the back roads in Back Creek Valley. But alas, my wife convinced me (read-made me) sell my pride and joy. Didn't seat the whole family, was a boys toy, garage queen, you've got the Farmall and New Holland, yadda, yadda, yadda..

Guy came up from Alabama and bought it, then wrecked it two weeks later.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,792 times
I agree with GHO on the stretch of road between Elkins and the mouth of Seneca. I don't even know the route number but I used that road growing up going to our mountain house near Seneca Rocks and I'm here to tell you I've had more than a few near life ending experiences on that road. I think part of the problem is indeed the sheer beauty of the area, which leads to a lot of gawking (ME), combine that with insane curves and truck traffic and you get some pretty scary conditions...

Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM

I love that road. The aforementioned Rx-7 does too

Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
That's US-33, isn't it? Definitely a "sporting" road, great for a bike or one of my old Spitfires.

Wasn't the original thought that Corridor H would more or less follow 33, before they shifted the alignment more to the north, thru Thomas?
Yeah, it was supposed to follow US 33 until it was put in hold in the 70's due to environmental concernts. My mom was in high school when the section from Elkins to Bowden opened. It didn't start again until around 2000 when work started around Elkins and Moorefield began again. Thanks Robert C. Byrd!

I actually do have little car Kennedy. I have a VW Jetta GLS turbo. It loves turns, I love turns, and I've never let grass grow beneath me, but I've seen so many wrecks in my years on this road, mostly on Allegheny Mtn.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Thomas is the better route...and a little cheaper to build...Will open the ski areas up to more people and money..I remember when it was too expensive at 1 million per mile...now its 25 million and easier to do...
Those logging trucks are hauling for Senator Rocky...they certainly have the horsepower.
See I think it would have been better to go the old way to open the ski area up. It would have went through or near Harman, and Harman is just a few short miles from Canaan and Timberline. They could have came within probably 3-4 miles of the actual park itself. It also would have also been a more direct route instead of swaying north so much then swaying south over by Moorefield and Wardensville. But alas, the environmentalists stopped it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big environmentalist myself, I'm a member of the Sierra Student Organization, and Protectors of Wildlife. But stopping Corridor H was stupid!

Old 05-09-2008, 05:05 PM

80 posts, read 257,558 times
I say all of them! Not really but one of my friends who works for the WV DOH said that the Governor wants the roads to almost go back to dirt before repairing them.

Some of the bad roads for me are Rt 2 from St.Mary's to New Martinsville,Rt 14 from Parkersburg to Elizabeth,the turnpike from Charleston to Beckley,and little Owl Hollow Rd that runs between Rt 29 and Rt 127 over near Bloomery.I know it's kind of a short-cut through there but for that 1 mile it's got a lot of rough spots.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:23 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,311,913 times
"Roads going back to dirt? that will be next spring...that 1/2" of blacktop laid down last fall is turning to dust now...beneath that is the rock of our old gravel roads...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia