Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 PM

938 posts, read 2,898,577 times

Advertisements

There is a bus that goes from Morgantown to the Meadowbrook Mall in Bridgeport, dropping off at 9PM, picking up at 5PM. Other than that, there is no mass transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 06:29 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
What is wrong with the Fairmont City Water:

As part of the regional security upgrades and new water treatment system was funded.
Capability: 80,000 homes
Cost: 21 million dollars.

Old system was removed completely...built in 1900's and could have been upgraded to do the work of the new system...old system was a clorinated sand bed filter.
Cost of the upgrades were between 3 and 7 million to do the capacity of the old system.

New system is state of the art reverse osmosis...pushes the water through a plastic membrane and works very well on Canada's rivers and lakes which have very little sediment.
Tygart Valley river is muddy several months out of the year and plugs up the filter membranes...
3 waterborn parasites have been identified in the water.

No one at city hall considered the fact that the new system would need pre-filtering to work.
When questions began to arise the City Manager left for new work in other areas.

It will take several years to bring the new system into compliance. Additional water costs have been added to begin a rebuilding fund...about $300k per year...in the mean time
People and customers are outraged and this system is being extended to other communities (Mannington) so that Fairmont can sell their water and extend their cash revenue stream.

Personally, I drink bottled water and only bottled water...I know about the parasite problem...took 3 months to get well..the Fairmont water is to risky to drink and If you do...boil it..boil it....boil it first. (Many are drinking the water from their water heaters)

A few management people could have gone to Shinnston, Bridgeport or Morgantown and looked at three very good existing systems...Morgantowns was done in the 1980's and Shinnston's about the same time. Both are exceptional and Shinnston is even selling water to several little towns...

The people suffer through these things and the political rags we call newpapers are silent.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 AM

19,769 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Clarksburg is great if you love Italian food.

My family and I moved out here in December, coming from the Eastern Panhandle. Morgantown was too far away for my tastes, especially given the fact I want to be able to get home in time to watch my son play baseball, go to Scouts, play in the daylight.. That sort of thing. Plus Morgantown is pretty darned expensive.

We looked at some homes in Fairmont and they were o-k. It was in the running as far as relocating. We looked at some nice homes near Prickets Fort and farther south near Whitehall..

We also looked in rural Taylor county east of Harrison county, but didn't really find anything worth buying unless you cherished a complete demo and rebuild..

We wound up in Bridgeport (which is right next door to Clarksburg) and bought a nice colonial in an older established neighborhood. very convenient to work (I take the bus almost daily), shopping and proximity to parks and recreation.

Did I mention all the Italian restaurants in this area? lol..

Eh- I thought Bridgeport and Clarksburg were basically synonymous with each other given their proximity to one another- WRONG. WAY WRONG.

It's like comparing apple pie to chocolate mousse. I'm more of a pie guy myself (actually country apple pie), so Bridgeport is not going to be my final destination. However if you're a mousse kinda person, and you want to be near Clarksburg- Bridgeport would be a good place to look. Housing costs vary- you can buy an older brick rancher on about .25 acres for $185,000-$225,000, or you can get a newer house all decked out for upper two's to upper three hundreds.. There are a lot of quaint older homes in the older section of town that are really nice as well. Lot's of brick, solid pine planked walls, really nice 1950's craftsmanship.

My house was built in 1970 and lacks some of those nice features, but the houses built in that era were a bit larger and fashioned with copious amounts of sheet paneling and shag carpets, lol. Hellooo Brady Bunch..

Hope your search goes well.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:54 AM

6 posts, read 24,561 times
That sounds awful, and scary in regard to the water system.

I also heard about the Italian restaurants, it was mentioned several times during my interview down there, lol.

After a short call this morning, I found out there are plenty of people who make the commute from Fairmont, and Morgantown every day, so its good to see that a carpool option is available.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 PM

About the water...almost all the water we use is for utility purposes...

When the bill gets a little higher, I'll drill a well and put us on the old home water source. It's always been on the list of things to do...getting back to being dependant on oneself. I noticed the last bill was $31.00 for 3800 gallons. When it goes up to 50 bucks we will change over...well cost about $2500...4 year recovery and unlimited water usage...

Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,685 times
I will probably be moving to Clarksburg. Where are some of those great Italian food places?

Old 09-27-2008, 08:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Minard's
813 E Pike St
Clarksburg, WV 26301

Oliverio's
Oliverio's Ristorante - Fine Italian Dining in Morgantown, WV and Bridgeport, WV

Yum Yum to both. Be sure to try the angel hair crab balls and zucchini sticks at Oliverios - talking about it is making me crave it. They also have great eggplant parmigiana.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:12 AM

312 posts, read 1,059,685 times
Thanks vec. Wow, crabs have balls??
Actually I'm not a seafood guy but love Italian food. Now, can anyone mention some good neighborhoods in C'burg? I am not like the OP, I have finally crossed over to the other side, (old), and don't care to be around college kids. I look for lower crime, quiet, not too trashy or too upscale, I don't mind a trailer on the street, but not if there's trees growing out of it. Or a toilet in the yard.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:50 AM

80 posts, read 148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerk12 View Post
I've considered the possibility of commuting from Morgantown, however with gas prices increasing as rapidly as they are, I'm not sure how economically viable that option would be. I think I'll ask if there would be any other co-workers to commute with.

I feel I may be asking for too much, but is there a commuter rail system that would cover the distance?
Hi there. I just relocated to Bridgeport from Grand Rapids Michigan. WOW, what a change. I too am looking for housing/apartments.

What amazes me is the total blackout and lack of information on housing in this area. I've found 8 different apartment complexes, with absolutly no information other than name, address and phone numbers.

Seems that only one has any real info available on the net and thats Crestview apartments. 800 for a townhouse with garage seems a bit expesnive even for me, as I had a 2 bedroom lower with Garage (not attached as they are in crestview) in grandrapids for 635 a month.

I am going be working neer the airport, and will consider the daily commute between fairmont and bridgeport, if it means better housing.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:41 PM

on the south side of Whitehall, Rt 73, lies a few hundred townhouses...forget the name but know that they will have vacancies...near several resturants and the local Walmart..for something cheap? you will need to search like prospector...looking for a trailer to rent...call 366-3896, mention David Kennedy about 1/4 mile from the industrial park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia