Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2008, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 78,273 times

Advertisements

My mother grew up in Marianna back in the 40's and 50's. I am taking some time this summer to visit both of the places where my parents grew up.

Can anyone tell me anything about Marianna? Good place to stay? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 06:07 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Had never heard of it before. Hope someone can help you.
Check out:
MARIANNA, WV
Wyoming County, West Virginia

Don't even know much about Wyoming County - it's deep southern WV even though it's in the Greenbrier Valley region.
Wander around Travel Planner ,

Your best bet for hotel/motel is probably in Pineville (have been there once years ago) or Twin Falls State Park Twin Falls State Park - A West Virginia State Park.

Beckley is about 1 hour away - lots of nice places to stay there.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM

14 posts, read 78,273 times
Thank you.

Mom did say it was a coal patch back then..but she has no idea if it has changed since.

It looks to make for a beautiful drive that is for sure.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:55 PM

7 posts, read 17,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booner View Post
My mother grew up in Marianna back in the 40's and 50's. I am taking some time this summer to visit both of the places where my parents grew up.

Can anyone tell me anything about Marianna? Good place to stay? Thank you.
I was born in Marianna w. Va in 1951. It was a coal camp. If you look on the map ,it is just below Brenton headed toward Pineville. My grandpa and grandma lived there until 1979. I was back last year, but with relatives. There is nothing in Marianna except small homes along the road. You will have to go to Pineville to the Motel or up to Twin Falls State Park where they have very nice lodge and cabins. Golf course,etc. Pineville is still very much like it was in the 60's. In fact they have removed the only stoplight they had in town,due to lack of traffic. West Virginia is beautiful, but rough. You have to be a local really in order to do well there. (At least in that area. Medical care is far. Traveling (fog) at night ,snow in winter is rough. Pat from Al.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:26 AM

7 posts, read 17,945 times
Default does anyone remember my grandparents?

I was born in pineville W Va in 1951 Dr. Wilkerson delivered me in his office next to the courthouse. My grandparents,T.C.and Vester Wright lived in Shanty Town, a long gone coal camp at Marianna. I visited the area back in 1997, The bottom is still there and brought back many happy days of playing at the sandy ball field (when my uncle Jerry wasn't using it as a race track for his 50 ford) , playing with friend Dorcus ,helping my grandma kill chickens (She would throw them in a basket after she beheaded them and I would sit on the lid while they flopped around.(She didn't like messes. I remember Jennybelle Jenkins who lived next door.I think she was a relative of ours somehow. Does anyone remember pappy coal and Nit. The black camp was just below us. I would go to their house and she would give me stewed tomatoes. I remember especially loving when the truck would come from the company store. Grandpa would always have me a special treat delivered. I can just see him now, coming up that road to the house, covered in coal dust , after another hard day at the mines. Grandma wuld make him take his clothes off in a little shed in the back of the house and he would have to wash off in a wash tub she would have ready for him when he got home. I loved bathing in that washtub myself! Anyway ,I could go on and on. My mother was Billie Ruth Wright and my uncles were jerry and Joe Wright. Joe loved it so much down there that when he retired he moved back and now lives up keyrock with his wife gayle johnson. If anybody remembers anything about those days I sure would like to here from you My web address is Patricia@metawebpages.com Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia