Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 16,047 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if there are any jobs in the hardy county area? I may have to move back there soon depending on weather or not my fiance goes to the army. I grew up in mathias, wv and i just love it there and thats where my family is. so if i dont go with my fiance to the army which i most likely wont because i dont like to be moved every couple years. so that leaves me with having to find my own place to live and a job plus i will have my daughter to take care of as well whom is curently 8 months old. i can stay with my dad until i can find a place to live but i know finding a job isnt the easiest thing to do there and thats something i will need right away...
also do you know of any cheap rental or rent to own places worth looking into?
please help if you can
thanks so much
Amanda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:34 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Amanda: Go with your fiancee' to the Army. It will be the greatest adventure of your life.
People everywhere are the same...they just speak different languages and have different skin colors...
Mathias and Moorefield will be there when you return...wiser and educated from the things you will have seen...

My son was a d- student in high school...never caught on to study...went into the Army at 17...first duty station was Italy...learned the language and took some college classes on line...came to Colorado Springs...took more college classes and the Army sent him to medical school...His graduate gpa was 3.8...something changed him a little...went to Germany...then to Savannah...now back to Colorado Springs...and he speaks Italian and German in addition to English...all in only 17 years...If you get pregnant and need a Ceasarian...he might be the one on the other end of the Scalpel.

You and everyone else here have a certain period to live...we can waste that time or use it for our own good. If we choose to do that, we eventually will help others with our experience...

Don't waste your time...you can change the direction of an entire generation...yours and your children...get off your butt and go for it...

Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
Amanda if your instinct as mom is to be home & provide safest environment for them, I don't think it's wrong, but I think the nature of jobs available to you are very slim. I love those mtns too- haven't been to mathias personally, but I imagine it's not so different from many other mtn communities I've been to.
Most of the properties I was looking at through that whole region are higher on average than the rest of the state (even though relatively speaking more economical than most other states). Not only sale prices, but naturally, the taxation rates are higher, creating an overall economy that makes rental properties higher than the rest of the state too. The proximity to I-81 should mean that civilization is close enough for you to economically benefit if you've got job skills and education already under your belt.
I may not have much personal knowledge about Hardy county because I'm a newbie to the state, and you never did say how old you were, what career you've had, or what education level you've achieved. Could you be more specific about yourself and your situation so we can offer you more suggestions?
Usually I agree with DK, but when it comes to motherhood, men are given free pass to do as they please in careers, while women are expected to make the hard choices for themselves relative to child bearing/rearing. Toughest job in the world IMO. I think he failed to see that in your thread operating with the notion that you're 19, never left home. Are you?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:00 PM

If your fiancee' is the father of your child, I would call you guys a family...My best friend was just 18 when he married Kathy...she was 16...came to the Marine base and after his service went back to New Jersey and raised 4 kids...

You know what the work in Moorefield is: chicken factories...grusome, stinking and hot work...if that's the job you want, go for it...mama and daddy will possibly raise the little one for you while you grow up...

Deep down, you were raised in the mountains and know what responsibility is...as an Army wife, you will have housing, medical and a higher paycheck...on the side, you and your fiancee/ husband can work on the base while little Elmo is in childcare...

The army-base family will be the best vehicle for you and your family to use...it's oriented for success...as I said before, you have an opportunity to change an entire generation here...depends on taking a little courage...
I think you have it...ask mom and dad what they missed in their lives and they will tell you...hear them clearly and plainly...go for this...
a brass ring only comes around so often...my guess is you are about 17.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:35 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and o0o how i wish i were 17 again.lol I'm 20 years old as of 1/23/08 and my daughter will be a year old in october. The reason I'm looking for something in hardy county is because thats where my family is and as far as having a babysitter, i prefer not to leave my baby with some stranger and i know SOMEONE out of all my family members back there will want to watch her so i can work. I know the job options aren't that great back there and if you do find one you're lucky to get hired on.

My issue with the army is the whole having to move so often thing, i want my daughter to have a stable home and security and not have to worry about making new friends and leaving everyone she's attached to. and i'm scared to death of flying in a plane... it makes me nausiated thinking about it... i've had a fear of heights since i fell off the see-saw in kindergarten and no matter how hard i try or how bad i want to... i just cant even think about having to fly.

I have a high school diploma and 3 business credits at eastern community college in wv which i cant have unless i attend the college first then transfer to a dif one. I studied business in highschool, i only needed one more class to get my license but didnt have room for it. I also have knowledge in marketing, clercial, customer service, assistant manager, office management, fast food (have no intentions on doing ever again) and just random stuff really..
I dont know if this will help or not but my dad owns a bunch of land in mathias which I am entitled to half (sis gets other half) when he dies but he says we can have it whenever we want it... the land that will be mine currently has a house, a single wide, and my dads log cabin modular home... the house is being rented out and dad is renting the property out to the trailer people...i'm not sure what options that leaves me with but maybe it'll help you.

Thanks

p.s. how often do you get moved in the army and when do you find out where you're gonna be stationed at and what can i do with this flying issue
and yes he's the father of our baby

Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 AM

A change of duty station occurs every 3 years...but lets talk about that daughter...and I will compare the opportunities that have happened to my grand-daughter..

She has attended the best schools...she is 10 yrs old now, and attends a Montisori School...a system that we do not even have in Wv...but there may be 1 (one) I'm told in Wheeling...
Alexia speaks Italian and German...has friends on the internet and speaks with them each day...I have visited with her school students and am very impressed...we talk about her attending college and are setting some goals...

The moving has been the best part of her education...She can talk to both adults and kids very well...she has not been closed down into just being a kid...but the respect shown by her parents have held her in regard as a person with something to contribute...I thank them for that...

My son grew up in the Army...he was a Sgt with 9 years in when he took the officer commission and went to med school at U of Colorado...He did it all in 3 years and it almost killed him...It has been worth every effort...

People and the news media trash the services...say out and out lies about our very best people...

Nothing is free in America...and the services do the best for the best...a few years in the service is as good as attending the very best college, because its a quick class in Life 101...you will make lifelong friends and have memories of great places...

Most people your age overlook these things...my son could be facing college loans of $500,000 or more and the Army gave him that education for free and sent a paycheck to the front door each month...
He will begin private practice at the ripe old age of 37 with the experience of birthing over 3,500 babies...that's not to bad for a West Virginia kid who almost flunked out of high school...

If I feel attached a little...I am...we grew up in Moorefield...8 mile out on the South Fork Road...the next farm up from Dick See.
You are looking at the opportunity of a lifetime here...that land in Mathias will not go bad..it will just get more valuable...

Old 06-29-2008, 07:02 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,781,454 times
amanda didn't join the army, her fiancee did. She doesn't have a college education, doesn't have a career track, and has an infant to mind. Makes perfect sense to me that she'd head home with dad for a while.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:46 AM

She's 20 years old with a child that will need 20 years of care...Isn't is time for some kind of a plan?

She was asking for advice and I gave mine...family's generate success by the failures they experience...living with Daddy and Mommy for the next 10 years will stifle the growth of everyone concerned.

Amanda is a 20 year old mother and needs to bond more fully with her fiancee'/husband/or the childs father, hoping that they are all in the same...
this is called getting on with one's life...social handicaps are/have been the ruination of this country and this entire generation...
It's time to return to hard work, difficulty, overcoming them on your/ones own and being responsible...There is plenty of help out there...
Her husband can be the dad and go to his Army job...she can be the mother and call home on the telephone...this is what people do...

It's not like this girl is some 'Air head from Pomona...she's from Wv and is asking for the right signal...I gave it to her...and now she's thinking about it...
Amanda's got too much mountain dirt in her veins to wimp out...not going to happen... (Hope you are having a great Sunday afternoon, H/B)

Old 06-29-2008, 04:07 PM

wow, for some reason reading your replies brought tears to my eyes...lol. so my fiance said he's definitely going to go and hopes to be in basic by the end of july so he can be out for our daughters birthday.
Craig(my fiance) and I dont exactly have the best relationship I guess thats what makes this such a hard decission. He wants things to be where I stay home and take care of the kids and the house and do EVERYTHING (like i'm doing now) while he goes to work, and on his days off...he does whatever he wants. I think he's a bit selfish and thinks the world revolves around him. He wont help me do anything, i cant even get him to change a "pee" diaper or hang up his own clothes if i put them on hangers. and when i ask him for help he just jumps down my throat about it... and we only have one vehicle until next month which means i've been sitting in this house for a year and 6 months and i'm losing my freaking mind.
yes, going to the army has a lot of benefits but only if i marry him. And what about my goals in life and my dreams and I need some independence of my own and he doesnt get it. he wants it his way or no way..and last night i found out that he has an account on "bootycall.com" or whatever i cant trust him... i know you're saying "why are you still with him"..and i cant even answer that for you because I dont know... i feel like i'm in a situation where i either marry him and go to the army and forget about my goals and stuff or i can not go to the army and go live with family until i can get a job and afford insurance and my own place and EVERYTHING... Also, I have Narcolepsy and Cataplexy so I have to have an insurance that will cover it and the medication isnt cheap neither are the doctor visits.. so i feel like no matter what i'm screwed but there has to be something out there for me, I cant afford to go to college and didnt make the grades for scholarships....I just dont know what to do
gonna go now this is getting too emotional for me right now

thanks
amanda

Last edited by manduhluvzu; 06-29-2008 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 06-29-2008, 06:05 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
You need some serious soul searching, girl. A man should do whatever it takes for family- and that includes helping out and making sure his spouses well being is taken care of.

At least that's my opinion.

My wife and I were high school sweethearts and been married 18 years this past week (together for 24). I just washed the dishes a minute ago, while my wife and daughter are out on a girl's day out..

Keeping a healthy relationship ain't a one-way street, and if he thinks it is, you'll get yourself mowed down trying to re-direct it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia