Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: West Virginia Residents: What do you think of the big Cities on the East Coast?
I wish I could get out of West Virginia and move there! 0 0%
I visit them but would never want to live there 12 85.71%
Were losing our best High School Graduates to Washington DC 1 7.14%
I have never been to DC or NYC (why would I? West VA is heaven) 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:29 PM

938 posts, read 2,899,390 times

Advertisements

LOL. "We're losing out best HS grads to Washington D.C." Um...okay. I prefer Baltimore, personally. To expand further out, I like Philly even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 08:33 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
You're 100% right mtneeratheart.

I have no doubt in my mind my kids will have to leave someday to find greener pastures. I could be making twice or three times what I'm making now, but I made the decision to leave the race and slow down; and only because of sheer luck did I find a job in WV so many years ago.

There just isn't a lot of opportunity here, which is shame considering the backyard playgrounds we have.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:34 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,378,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
This is our purpose...to raise our children and give them the gift of hard work and common sense and send them out to ignorant places to bring awareness and goodness to the blinded common folk there...those that are blinded by money, vanity and other shameful soul robbing things...that's what West Virginia is for...and she does her work well.
LOL David

Old 06-30-2008, 08:49 PM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
LOL. "We're losing out best HS grads to Washington D.C." Um...okay. I prefer Baltimore, personally. To expand further out, I like Philly even more.
Used to work at 225 N. Calvert St many years ago, right around the rebirth of the Inner Harbor. What a great time that was, so full of promise.....

Old 06-30-2008, 09:07 PM

306 posts, read 900,955 times
Aaaahhh yes...the inner harbor...back in the day...many fond memories

Old 06-30-2008, 09:20 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,590 times
Our family vacationed in MD, just outside DC every summer because three of my uncles lived there. I've taken my kids to DC recently but we don't go yearly like we used to do. Since I'm so close to Pittsburgh, that's the city we visit most. We're trying to squeeze in a few trips to Kennywood this summer.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:29 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,148,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Used to work at 225 N. Calvert St many years ago, right around the rebirth of the Inner Harbor. What a great time that was, so full of promise.....
Which city?

I used to live off of Calvert St near Wisconsin Ave (Glover Park enclave of Wash DC) back in 1960-62------but, was just age 3-5 then.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:16 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by total_genius View Post
I love to get out of the rat race and multi cultural jungle here in the Washington DC area and drive out to West Virginia. I love driving in the rural areas and stay in the small towns of WVA, walk around just to soak in the culture. As I stated in another posting, I think many of the rural and small town areas of West Virginia seem like America in the 1950s.

Anyway, if you are a resident of small town or rural West Virginia, do you get over to DC Philly or NYC ever? What do you think as a West Virginia resident about huge crowded, multi ethnic, competitive, exciting (??) places like DC and NYC?
Hey Genius I definitely hear you. I'm been reading some of your posts on the Maryland forum and its surprising how we're alike in many ways. I also really feel trapped by the East Coast culture here and find it real stifling. I have a lot of friends around here but there are somethings I can only post online in forums like this and never really reveal to people in person, including the Confederate flag thing from the MD forum.

I actually like to occassionally take a drive out into the country by myself just to escape the city before it drives me crazy. Weather permitting I'm planning to do something like that on Thursday, driving up Maryland 28 to Point of Rocks then up through Brunswick in Frederick County and then through Virginia (the Lovittsville area) and then into West Virginia. I'll be avoiding Interstates and freeways and will go back into Maryland near Sharpsburg. I'm not sure if I'll be going through Charles Town or just bypassing it. I'm thinking maybe taking Route 9, 230, or 340 in West Virginia.

Those of y'all from WV btw, is this a good idea? I've practically heard the entire state is pristine rural and beautiful with wonderful scenery. Are there any special places to eat around Charles Town/Berkeley County? Are most of the towns really friendly and nice or are people sometimes not very welcoming to outsiders like a few peopel have posted here in the WV forum. I'm wondering since not only do I have a Maryland license plate but I'm a minority (Asian American) so people will automatically know I'm not from there.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:44 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
So are you going to pharm. school in Baltimore (I'll be there in August) or in Morgantown? West Virginia has always had this very unique image to me. Okay, here's the best way I can put it...and NO, I don't believe all the stereotypes about trailers and inbreeding....but its like a tough kind of rural. Like while Carrie Underwood or Rascal Flatts evokes the feel of the Mayberry type middle American heartland image, West Virginia has the Gretchen Wilson image...less refined in a cool way with a lot of independence and pride. Like when I hear "Redneck Woman" I think it could be about WV....and btw I think that is a great song and I definitely respect and admire the mentality that song portrays.

I've met very few people from West Virginia here in the DC suburbs, though we do get a lot from small towns in Pennsylvania. We prefer them to the yuppie types coming down from Jersey or New York or to the illegals from outside the country.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:44 PM

938 posts, read 2,899,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So are you going to pharm. school in Baltimore (I'll be there in August) or in Morgantown?
WVU alum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia