Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,644 times

Advertisements

CRFTony Well if your granddaddy worked there, U MUST go. I wish we could have stayed longer. We plan to go back soon and often! The guest book at the Bee Keepers Inn was very interesting, some folks have been going to this Inn annually for over 30 yrs!

Hollers are the BEST my family lives in one off of Whitewater Road in Nicholas County, and 3runs description is right on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 05:38 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,310,545 times
If I had to choose the heart of Wv...
I would camp/backpack 2 nights in the Smoke Hole canyon...one of those on the Landis Trail under the stars and then to the top of Seneca Rocks.
One day hiking the Blackwater and the Falls.
One day 'taking the waters at Berkeley's Cool Font.
One day walking Harpers Ferry and fishing for Smallmouth Bass.
One day at Summersville, walking through the laurel bloom along the shear walls of the lake.
One day hiking through Helvetia and then up on the mountain to camp and fish for native Brook Trout...

And as an event: the 'Hick Fair at Parsons on Labor Day or the Buckwheat Festival in Kingwood, as 'buttwheats need to be enjoyed in their time...Fall.

This is why its 'almost Heaven to me...don't forget the big gathering at Caanan/Snowshoe this weekend...never know who you might see...

Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times
For mountain towns... Elkins can't be beat. You have many things you could be doing in Elkins, as well as you're pretty much in the epicenter of many of the greatest attractions in West Virginia. Seneca Rocks, Blackwater Falls State Park, Canaan Valley Resort, Timberline Resort, Snowshoe Resort, Smoke Hole Caverns, Seneca Caverns, Seneca Rocks.... I could go on.

If you want some amazing mountain views. Ride the Tygart Flyer in Elkins. It departs from the restored 100 year old depot in downtown Elkins, and embarks a journey through the Mon. National Forest to the High Falls of Cheat River. Once you get back, catch a show at American Mountain Theater or go shopping in historic downtown shops. Then rest up at one of our many hotels and the next day see all of the sights I mentioned in the first paragraph!!! It would be a truly epic adventure

The New Tygart Flyer, scenic train excursion in Elkins and Belington WV (broken link)

American Mountain Theatre West Virginia

Blackwater Falls State Park - West Virginia State Parks

Snowshoe Mountain Ski Resort - Official Website - Snowshoe, West Virginia

Historic Beverly: Welcome To Historic Beverly, West Virginia

Welcome to Adobe GoLive 6

If you have any additional questions just let me know!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Had a nice drive and visit this morning. Drove from Clarksburg down Rt. 20 to Rt. 57 on through Phillipi and then 250S into Belington. I met with a colleague and had some coffee, bs'd about banking issues then I drove on through Junior towards Elkins, got on 33E and went into Buckhannon, grabbed a sandwich and apple, drove towards Weston and finally back to Clarksburg. Nice little circuit drive towards Laurel Mtn / highlands, along the Tygart and back. You see old towns, some dying and some that appear to becoming reborn a bit.

There were some tracks that paralled the road around Junior / Belington area along the Tygart River.. I assume that they must be run by the mentioned Tygart Flyer. That would be a really nice train ride..

Old 07-18-2008, 06:13 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,150 times
Hi: I'd like to do that Tygart Flyer - that looks great - any recommendations on motel in Elkins or surrounding areas?? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Hi: I'd like to do that Tygart Flyer - that looks great - any recommendations on motel in Elkins or surrounding areas?? Thanks.
It depends on what you're looking for. If you'd prefer something a rather extravagant I would suggest a room at Graceland Inn on the campus of D&E, or maybe a room at the new Hampton Inn along the Beverly 5-Lane. If you would like something right in the middle of it all a Holiday Inn Express was built in the former rail yard a year or so ago, that would put you within walking distance to the depot, downtown shops, the American Mountain Theater, and the town square.

Here are some links, numbers and information.

Graceland Inn
West Virginia History Heritage Travel | Graceland Inn and Conference Center

Holiday Inn Express
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites ELKINS Hotels | ELKINS | Welcome

Hampton Inn
Hampton Inn, loc: Elkins, W Virginia - Google Maps

If you're on a budget and are looking at something cheaper you could go with Super 8, Days Inn, Best Country Inn & Suites, or Econo Lodge

There are also several Bed & Breakfasts in the Elkins area if you prefer them as well.

Old 07-19-2008, 05:14 AM

Oh crap GHO...whats the name of that little motel/lodge that overlooks the river near Bowden...tucked against the side of the hill and above the bridge...that's where they should stay...or in Helvetia...Motels are all the same and suck...this is Wv they are coming to visit...

Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM

I don't think Graceland can really be beat... It is luxury at its best.

But if you would like to go the cabin route there is always.... Bowden is always a great choice while still being 10-15 minutes outside of Elkins (Look at my photo albums I've added on here... I have one called Randolph County that I recently took on my last trip home, and the high mountain pictures are overlooking Bowden... BEAUTIFUL!)

Rentals
Vacation Cabin Rentals, West Virginia (http://www.lowercheatcabins.com/rentals.html - broken link)

Guides
Lower Cheat Land Management Company,LLC, West Virginia Vacation Cabins (http://www.lowercheatcabins.com/guide.htm - broken link)

Cheat River Inn
Welcome to the Cheat River Lodge & Inn

Glady Fork Cabins
West Virginia Cabin Rental

Last edited by GottaHerdOn; 07-19-2008 at 08:52 AM..

Old 07-19-2008, 11:38 AM

Cheat River Inn...thanks, GHO...knew you would come through...this is the place for an evening dine.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:33 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Elkins and Blackwater Falls are always high on my list of great mountain towns. The drive from Elkins to Petersburg is phenomenal and you certainly won't be dissapointed.

To the south there is Beckley and Summersville. I was in Summersville yesterday and had lunch at Dominics Chop House. Nice little place with good fare.

There are a host of towns worthy of a stop. I'm sure everyone else will chime in sooner than later!
Ditto! Was going to say it but of course Three had to chime in first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia