Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 03:49 PM

4 posts, read 18,662 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have to be in Bruceton Mills in a week to build a waterpark at Big Bear Lake. For a month now I've tried to find something for us to rent for the 6 months we're going to be there. I've checked with the only two apartment complexes I could find there, and they both require us to sign an extended lease. We need to rent something on a month to month lease because we never really know exactly how long it takes to finish these jobs. I have even checked with 3 hotels in that area and they were not able to accomidate us for that extended amount of time (not to mention that would be WAY to expensive considering none of them have weekly rates). I have read this forum and checked all the links about the classifieds in surrounding counties and Morgantown, and all of that.. but NOTHING .. I'm writing this hoping that someone is familar with the area and could offer me some new suggestions (other than the classifieds and the apartments and the hotels).. The permits to start building the park we will get on Friday and I can't even find anywhere for us to stay!?!?! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated at this point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 04:24 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Everyone lives in Morgantown and commutes to the prison at Bruceton to work...most everyone avoids the horrible winters up there...good luck...ever consider possibly renting a vacant trailer at Big Bear...the caretakers know the names of the owners and could steer you in that direction..from time to time they even have foreclosed camping trailers on the sites...good thing it's summer time for you guys...how big is the water park?

Old 08-14-2008, 08:42 AM

The park isn't going to be too big.. I believe 80,000 sq. ft or so. There is going to just be 2 waterslides, a lazy river and a pretty nice size kids activity area.. My understanding is that the waterpark will only be open to land owners and campers at the campground..
After reading your reply I grew concerned that even *if* we could find a place to rent somewhat near there, then we wouldn't be able to commute to Big Bear because the roads would not be plowed.. I've lived in the smokies before and even major state highways are shut down from time to time due to weather.. Ugh.. this is going to be a nightmare.. Harsh winters? That's the worst.. We just finished a park in Chicago, and I was SO hoping that we wouldn't have to work through another winter that was that bad. It was ridiculous how bad the weather was in Chicago last winter!! Anyhow thank you for your reply, and if you should happen to think of any other useful information for me, I could really use the help..

Old 08-14-2008, 10:04 AM

404 posts, read 1,187,679 times
If you aren't used to the roads, renting a camper at big bear is going to be your best bet. Or maybe someone who has one of the sites for sale would be willing to rent to you short term? There are a lot of them listed on their web site.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:35 AM

I have checked the website and that seems like a great idea.. That really would be ideal for our situation, however the listings on the website are through a real estate agency, I called the agency and the agent I spoke to said that they are not allowed to rent out campers during the winter.. I have also called the campground itself a few times and I am still awaiting a response from Mark ( I would assume he is the owner).. Does anyone know of any private listings for the campers at big bear? That way I could contact the owner personally and ask them. Was there another link or something that I was missing on the website for the campground with listings other than through the rental agency? With the real estate agency I just have to call them about the listings, and like I said before .. and they say that there is nothing they can do for my situation.. Also, I am concerned about being able to get to a store for food, etc.. is there any stores around there?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:13 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,187,571 times
check out ..VRBO® is Vacation Rentals by Owner® Vacation Homes Rentals by Owner someone there may be willing to rent for a short term lease.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:01 PM

63 posts, read 200,152 times
Classified Options - Classifieds from The Dominion Post (http://olive.dominionpost.com/classifieds/ - broken link) How about the classified in the local Morgantown paper. I hope at least one or two listings will be of help.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:43 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Agree with BJC about checking VRBO.

There are so many students around MoTown renting apartments that the owners don't have much problem renting them on year leases.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Know NOTHING about these but the site says they rent for 3 mo, 6 mo, etc.
Brunswick Apartments - 1602 Brunswick Ct. | Apartments.com
[SIZE=3]Brunswick Apartments
1602 Brunswick Ct.

[/SIZE]Morgantown, WV 26508
Call: (866) 672-8439

Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
You might also try Kingwood, Wv...Stores are not too far away...and the roads are well taken care of...worst of the winter is Dec to March...everyone skis...nobody camps during the winter...and Becky was giving you the straight scoop...you should contact some of the individual owners...this IS WV..allowances are made here...does Big Bear want the water park or not...and that's as big as a new Walmart...does it have a roof? When your here, check at the Hazelton Truck Stop...they might know of someone to help you out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia