Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 07:52 PM

12,973 posts, read 3,224,729 times

Advertisements

Someday things will fall into place and we will find our second home in WV! I need to have hope that the peace and solitude I seek is down there. I don't live in a city...but the cost of living is hard...although it's all I've ever known. Obtaining a Social Work degree and remaining in this profession ever since wasn't the brightest decision I made in my twenties. I'm caught in a rut. A measly little low budget second abode is all I'm seeking....to leave my troubles behind a few weeks a year until I'm ready to make the official leap. My husband does not one in a residential neighborhood...would rather be on the outskirts somewhere. We found one online in Bluefield...I don't think it is too far from civilization...sounds like it overlooks the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 04:43 PM

Default Is There Any Life Out There??

I did find some posts on Bluefield. It doesn't sound like a very prosperous community...but then again, I'm sure not looking for life in the fast lane.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Any interests (hiking, skiing, etc) or any thing special you are looking for in a second home?
What price range? What type of climate?

Bluefield isn't exactly a tourist attraction area. It is a rather depressed area (no offense meant to anyone from the area). Nearby Princton seems to have more but Mercer county isn't a hot spot for people looking to move to WV.

Are you set on Bluefield and asking about info on the area or are you looking for anywhere in WV but at a low cost for 2nd home?

One of my fav sites to look for real estate in WV is Old Colony (they also have listing for other brokers). They focus mainly in certain areas (Charleston, Morgantown, etc but often have places listed in other areas).
Two ways to search:
Old Colony, REALTORS - Charleston West Virginia Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search - Page 1
Old Colony, REALTORS, West Virginia Real Estate, West Virginia Homes For Sale (http://oldcolony.com/catalog/West%20Virginia - broken link)

They show 95 houses between $1,000 - $25,000.
Also, another search lists this house -
5 acres of land and 2 bed, 1 bath, 813sf, 5ac for $49,000 in Leon, WV (Mason County)

Old 01-01-2009, 09:17 AM

Well..we bought the home sight unseen! We've seen many pictures and we know that we are purchasing a total rehab project. The photos show the views overlooking Bluefield college campus. There are woods and trails in back of the property.....we will have the best of both worlds...nature and nearby civilization. We will make it into what we need/want when we visit. Our visits initially will be "work" visits. My boys, my husband and I will all work on making it habitable. I'm very excited!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:46 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Lots of great overlooks in the Bluefield area. For the most part, the roads are kept fairly well plowed during the winter, but your own driveway will remain your problem. That isn't much of an obstacle though as the massive amounts of snow are much further north in the state. You would be prudent to invest in a snow blower.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:49 AM

I can't wait to start on our "hobby home" It will be so nice to eventually have a place to "get away" from it all. That's why I don't care about whether the area is "depressed". I feel that way myself half the time! LOL How are you doing Alice? I have't seen much from you lately. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:21 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
I constantly lurk and when I can't contain myself any more, I pounce on unsuspecting posts.

Big Foot drank too much last night, so I am lurking at will today...

Old 01-03-2009, 11:48 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,375,925 times
Misty,
Congrats!!! That is exciting. Bet you can't wait to get to it. Redoing a house is a fun project.

Just be sure to expect the ultimate worse - that way you for sure won't be disappointed in the location or anything else. I have gone to so many open houses and the houses, lot, views, etc are NOTHING like what they look in the pictures. Don't mean to be a wet rag but .....

Be sure to let us know all about your house when you see it.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Misty,
Congrats!!! That is exciting. Bet you can't wait to get to it. Redoing a house is a fun project.

Just be sure to expect the ultimate worse - that way you for sure won't be disappointed in the location or anything else. I have gone to so many open houses and the houses, lot, views, etc are NOTHING like what they look in the pictures. Don't mean to be a wet rag but .....

Be sure to let us know all about your house when you see it.

Yes...it is quite scary...but the price was right! I am not expecting anything great by far! I just hope for an eventual place to hang my hat(well...if I wore one) when I need to get away from my current world up here in VT.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
Misty I was born in Bluefield yet moved to Princeton WV latter Bluefield is a cheap place to live the homes are some areas really not worth restoring and in other areas it has nice homes and nieghborhoods. I know you could get a place anywhere in the US and have the same problems best bet is to reasearch area you find ahome and ask people who are raised their. There are alot of drugs in bluefield area but where isnt there drugs??? Welch in my oppion is loaded with more thanBluefield. my family still lives in WV I had to seek employment elsewhere and now Live in FL. hope this helps you some if you find a home let me know the address I can tell you good or bad area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia