Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

West Virginia environmentalists and coal, federally funded western greenbrier, West Virginia highlands, clean coal ads, coal technology, stinky smoke, soot cover, coal gasification, scrubbers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times

Advertisements

How environmentalists see things in bigger picture that causes them to say no to coal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF_anaVcCXg

what "clean coal" ad's are saying:
http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies...ctc/index.html

Federally funded "western greenbrier" is apparently running things now, and this is what west virginia highlands people said to them:
http://wvhighlands.org/wv_voice/?p=104

I didn't stray from beaten path when traveling through greenbrier so I know zilch about how this western greenbrier project is working out.
Anyone know more than what I'm finding online? Links would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 01:59 AM

wow that was a big fat dud. Does this mean everyone is ok with coal and it's just a few noisy people complaining out there?

Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
I'm OK with coal. Santa brings me some every year. I'm certain it's WV coal too!

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
It's a common sense thing Harborlady.
When we were kids, everyone burned coal for heating and the air was filled with stinky smoke and the winter snows were covered with soot.

Todays coal technology burns it clean and we electric users have paid the cost of the scrubbers to remove the particulate matter from the smoke. I've always been impressed with the power plant at Shinnston. In the early days a problem existed with the acid content of rain water disolving the paint off of local cars but with the second stage of pollution scrubbers that problem has been solved.
The only thing a person sees is a cloud of steam from the cooling stack...no odor either.

People know that if coal can be used this efficiently, it can be used for fuel generation too...they are waiting for this...see will see it soon..and its not a new thing.

In 1947, then congressman Jennings Randolph flew in a plane to Washington from Morgantown...the fuel in the tanks had been processed from the Morgantown plant and had been made from coal...project never got further than that demonstration. Now were are going back to those old days...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:16 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
I'm all for coal, at least short term.

Now mountain-top removal on the other hand...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
It's a common sense thing Harborlady.
When we were kids, everyone burned coal for heating and the air was filled with stinky smoke and the winter snows were covered with soot.

Todays coal technology burns it clean and we electric users have paid the cost of the scrubbers to remove the particulate matter from the smoke. I've always been impressed with the power plant at Shinnston. In the early days a problem existed with the acid content of rain water disolving the paint off of local cars but with the second stage of pollution scrubbers that problem has been solved.
The only thing a person sees is a cloud of steam from the cooling stack...no odor either.

People know that if coal can be used this efficiently, it can be used for fuel generation too...they are waiting for this...see will see it soon..and its not a new thing.

In 1947, then congressman Jennings Randolph flew in a plane to Washington from Morgantown...the fuel in the tanks had been processed from the Morgantown plant and had been made from coal...project never got further than that demonstration. Now were are going back to those old days...
I know what a burnt out hull of a town shamokin pa was when coal dried up for them in 70's. I know the stories I heard about coal fired heating systems in nyc tenements killing people w/ carbon monoxide. I saw ashtabula, ohio first hand. Mind bender for me to consider coal as clean.

Scrubbers sound good. Coal gasification- relative to what WV alone consumes, are they able to gear it produce enough for at least that much? What about the ash/sludge residue they talk about? Does that get recycled into something else? Did the coal company promise to set limits upon themselves how many mountains they'll be leveling (it's my understanding that about 90% of wv has no mineral rights)? I know you've said they're not the guys they used to be, but what happens to WV when a demand gets so great?

Mostly what I'd like to know is if this really is good for WV citizens. I don't like getting caught off guard with referendums on a ballot. I need to get caught up because the times have been changing, and coal has evolved somewhere, but that DOE site sounds like a total hard sell.

I'm also considering a plan B heating/cooking option in the basement if I should have problems with gas delivery to the house & potential pipes freezing. I guess pex would solve the latter. I'm partial to wood pellet stoves, but did find some neat old fashioned coal stoves here if anyone is interested.
http://www.vogelzang.com/cast-iron-stoves.htm (broken link)

Hinton- i prefer nat king cole in my stocking, or at least faux renditions of chipmonks roasting on an open fire, hot sauce dripping from their toes.

three- it makes me uneasy thinking at any time a coal company could tell me I have to uproot over eminent domain issues, and I like the landscape as is tyvm. I doubt they'd ever be active in charleston, but if I wanted to buy multi acreage parcel, could I ever build on it and be certain?

Old 06-02-2008, 11:17 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Not under eminent domain rules, no.. no one could ever be certain, regardless of where you live. City, country, suburban..

In most cases the lack of mineral rights are enough to pretty much ruin your day if you sit atop any coal or NG.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times
Germany has been converting coal to liquid vehicle fuel since WWII. It is also in use in parts of Africa. China is headed in that direction as well.
Capito bill would set coal-to-liquid fuel mandate (broken link)

Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,748 times
Mr. MoJo was asking the Chinese to come to Wv and build a plant or two. I've been hearing their technology is the best...must have stolen it from the Germans.. thats a joke...

Old 06-02-2008, 09:29 PM

aliceT ty for that
"Capito, however, said modern technology can convert coal to clean, sulfur-free synthetic oil and fuel for approximately $35 to $45 a barrel. Crude oil prices were hovering around $130 a barrel Tuesday."

What this translates to, pressuming this is a similar breakdown to regular refining costs and crack spreads: $1.45 gal gas & diesel, but likely won't been seen at the pump as such due to international market establishing fair market values. Good stock to have in portfolio if they are publically traded FYI. Those are some seriously healthy margins.

DK I think the chinese realize how much that hurts them in the business world so they've curbed that a bit. My impressions at least. Is WV coal sponsoring this plant (splitting up into another company) or is another company outside taking over the job as if outsourced?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia