Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 11:38 AM

206 posts, read 939,025 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
We were set to come out next week to visit Huntington and Charleston, but the weather being what it is, we're reconsidering. Would we be better off coming in late May/early June?????
I'm assuming the weather would be better, maybe more stuff to do....
All opinions welcome. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 PM

4,959 posts, read 8,955,150 times
May/ June would be a much better time to visit but if you are in a pinch for time, March would probably give you decent weather. You would almost be guaranteed nice weather in May/June and if you are looking to walk around in the downtown areas of Huntington and Charleston, this would be much better. March weather is very unpredictable, you never know if it will be in the 30s or the 60s. Today it was almost 60 and tomorrow they are expecting temps to be near 70, but then temps are supposed to fall back into the 40s by the weekend. March/April also tend to see more rain and this could make sight seeing difficult. May/ June weather would also allow you to get a better idea of places like Ritter Park and to take advantage of some of the outdoor dining at the local restaurants. If you come in June, you might be here for Jazz-MU-Tazz, WV Day or Old Central City days in Huntington. I'm not sure what festivals Charleston has to offer around that time. Also, if you are going to try out the route Snorpus recommended in another thread, you might want to do this on your last couple of days. That way, once you get to Weston, you can take I-79 up to Pittsburgh since that is where you had expected to be flying out from. Hope this helps and just let me know if you need anymore info about the Huntington area.
Tim

Old 02-28-2007, 04:18 PM

Thanks Tim,
I keep checking weather.com and it's not looking too good. We can easily come down after school is out which is May 25 here in AZ. My hubby still has more vacation time, so we'll come out for at least a week, maybe 10 days. I'm so disappointed, we were all looking forward to seeing WV, but it'll be hard to see all the sites w/ bad weather. When is Jazz-MU-Tazz???? I did want to come down and preview the schools before the get out for summer, which I think is around June 7th. thanks.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:29 PM

Jazz-MU-Tazz is usually around the middle of June. It will likely be the on the 15th, 16th and 17th this year but I haven't seen anything official. Sounds like it will be a little late for your trip. I'll try to keep you posted if I hear anything differently.
Tim

Old 02-28-2007, 08:52 PM

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

Old 03-02-2007, 05:23 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
Just to argue an opposite tack here for a moment...

While the weather is certainly nicer in May/June, it's not like the whole state shuts down from October thru April. And the weather usually isn't "bad" in March, it's just there's a chance it might be. Something I read a long time ago said that before you move somewhere, try to see it in all seasons, not just when the weather's the best.

For example, in two weeks I'm going down to Pickens for the Maple Festival. The sap only runs in the early spring, so that's something you'd miss by not coming in March.

And to follow up on tbailey's suggestion of doing the tour at the end of your visit. That's a good idea, for planning purposes Elkins is about 3.5 - 4 hours from Pittsburgh International. And if you're staying overnight around Elkins, consider driving east on 33 and staying at the Lodge at Blackwater Falls State Park.

Regards,
Snorpus

Old 03-04-2007, 08:42 PM

171 posts, read 463,184 times
whats jazz mu tazz and does it have anything to do with music? johnnybc

Old 03-04-2007, 09:09 PM

Jazz-MU-Tazz is a jazz festival put on by the Marshall faculty, the MU Jazz Ensemble and high school students who represent some of the region’s best high school jazz programs. They also try to get someone nationally recognized for jazz to perform with them. Last year they had world-famous trumpeter Vincent DiMartino. The festival usually runs Wednesday to Saturday in mid-June. This is one of about three jazz festivals that Marshall puts on throughout the year. Hope this answers your question.
Tim

Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I'm about 70 miles outside of Charleston, WV and decided to book a room in advance for tomorrow. Inasmuch as I've not been to Charleston I booked at the Holiday Inn Downtown. They have a special rate for two consecutive days.

I'll post, Lorann, and let you know how this hotel works out.

If anyone else is around, anything I must see in the two days I'm in town?

Many thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorann View Post
Hi All,
We were set to come out next week to visit Huntington and Charleston, but the weather being what it is, we're reconsidering. Would we be better off coming in late May/early June?????
I'm assuming the weather would be better, maybe more stuff to do....
All opinions welcome. Thanks.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Are you just looking around the Charleston area or are you visiting some of the other local communities as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia