Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,603,432 times

Advertisements

We all had a great time. The only drawback it the roads are so bad!!!! If 7 fell off the earth and was replaced I would have no issue with it. WV is fun, and we would consider moving there if only there were more jobs. Anyway, just wanted to say I had a good time. I just wish there would of been some snow. It seems I brought warm weather with me when I came.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:33 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We all had a great time. The only drawback it the roads are so bad!!!! If 7 fell off the earth and was replaced I would have no issue with it. WV is fun, and we would consider moving there if only there were more jobs. Anyway, just wanted to say I had a good time. I just wish there would of been some snow. It seems I brought warm weather with me when I came.
Glad you had a good time.

Roads are bad? I'm not familiar with 7 so figure it must be pretty windy. We usually stick to the major highways when traveling around the state. Where did you go?

Want to hear something funny - from May to Aug, West Virginia led the nation in economic growth.

"West Virginia's unemployment rate increased in November as job losses occurred in construction, manufacturing and several other sectors.
Workforce West Virginia said Monday that November's unemployment rate was 4.2 percent, up three-tenths of a percentage point from October."
Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - News - State's jobless rate rises to 4.2 percent*
Decrease in employment in construction was 900 jobs - but a big decrease in construction jobs is typical for winter months.

The national unemployment rate is 6.7%.
Here's a chart of our unemployment rate compared to the US: West Virginia Unemployment Rates

Old 12-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Wetzel county~7 is very up, down and turns a lot. Even though its 2 lanes there is only enough room for 1 car because it's deteriorating so bad. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I went, but the roads are a major draw back. As for the jobs. We tried moving to Weirton in 06 but after several months of no luck finding a job we moved back to VA. The area my family lives in is even more rural than Weirton, so the likelihood of finding a job is not good. I'm a special education teacher (currently I only work with children with Autism) but I would have to wait for a teacher to retire before getting a job making a lot less than I make now. My husband is willing to do anything. Anyway I had a great time and think WV is a great place is you have a gob.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:10 PM

404 posts, read 1,188,338 times
Quote:
Wetzel county~7 is very up, down and turns a lot. Even though its 2 lanes there is only enough room for 1 car because it's deteriorating so bad. Don't get me wrong I'm glad I went, but the roads are a major draw back. As for the jobs. We tried moving to Weirton in 06 but after several months of no luck finding a job we moved back to VA. The area my family lives in is even more rural than Weirton, so the likelihood of finding a job is not good. I'm a special education teacher (currently I only work with children with Autism) but I would have to wait for a teacher to retire before getting a job making a lot less than I make now. My husband is willing to do anything. Anyway I had a great time and think WV is a great place is you have a gob.
7 is really bad when it's icy out. But it is a nice drive when the roads are clear. I'm glad you made the trip ok! Keep looking. You may be making less money but the other benefits of living here in West Virginia are worth it!

by the way, watch out for those one lane bridges out there! I have to cross three of them to get to my dads. Two of them are on a blind curve and you can't tell if anything is coming. I stop and go very slow when I get to them.

Last edited by Sharedspirit; 12-29-2008 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: forgot something!

Old 12-30-2008, 02:48 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
Wv is best traveled in the late spring on a Harley-Davidson...won't be long...Rt 7 was made for that ride..

I seem to hear Mobley calling...Happy New Year, Snorpus! Did they take down the traffic light at the Walmart there?

Years ago, In Portland, Ore, Jim Fagan, a writer for the Oregonian, kept a little park in the street median.
It was about 16" square, had a little fake Douglas Fir and some tiny plastic people from an old train set.
He called the tiny park, Mill Ends Park. He centered his newpaper stories about the imaginary happenings of the events in Mill Ends Park and the people who came to talk and sit on the tiny plastic park bench...
I would visit the park from time to time with a lady love and we would share an evening ice cream from Baksins & Robbins as we walked through the district.

Mobley is a lot like Mill Ends Park...a little primitive perhaps..a little imaginary...but it keeps the best of Wv.
A place has to do that...we need these little Mobleys and places to set a corner stone and keep things anchored.
Changes force adaptability...and to keep the pace slow and under control...a Mobley is needed in a very great way...

I'm glad the Mobley city fathers decided to demolish the Target..the New Super Walmart...and that 24-pump gas station.
When I was driving through the dust and noise yesterday (in my mind) They were cutting the cables and pulling down the traffic light at the intersection..

The rural mail carrier was in front of me in that long traffic line and yelled back, "Now, that's change we can all believe in!"

I think if we worked on it, Mobley could be the new Lake Wobegon of America...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:00 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
I can't believe you couldn't find a job as a special ed teacher! I know most counties have huge demands for special ed. and foreign language teachers. My county (Randolph) had 5 openings last year for foreign language teachers. I'm sure special ed. was the same way. You should check around the Morgantown area. It may not be as close as you'd like to be to family but I'm sure you could find a teaching job around there either in Mon. county, Marion, Wetzel, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:55 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times
All I really know in West Virginia is the Turnpike and 64, but, those are nice roads

Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
GHO: Defeatest Attitude? They bring it with them when they cross the borders into WV. Sounds like a Media Flashback from the last political campaign...about how down-n-out Wv is...No jobs? Incest?
Now about the roads...

Yes, we have no roads and never will have them...remember all that new 1 inch asphalt that covered them after MoJo's election? Well its dried up and blown away.... It's like nothing has happened to them.

Watched that for a long time...pray for RCB, he's not doing very well.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:36 AM

967 posts, read 2,996,207 times
Quote:
We're leaving the beach for full-time WV. I'll take a bad road in the winter over the daily I-64 (I-264, MMBT, HRBT, downtown tunnel...) parking lot. The slower pace of things will do wonders for your health. We're still on I-64, just 5 hours away from all the traffic!

Old 12-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Don't get me wrong I like WV, but I get car sick. I've gotten car sick on those roads ever since I was a little kid. Even as a baby 7 made me ill. Trust me one day I'll most likely end up there. My family has been there for over a 100 years, and the landscape is beautiful. Lucky for me I don't have to deal with the traffic that's here. I work less than 10 minuets from my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia