Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:49 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Was the "big, blue bridge" something that stood in the middle of town ? Please enlighten us.

I find Rt 9 and 11, a bit embarrassing when relatives come to visit and they see, all these so called, "Gentlemen's Clubs". Are they really necessary ? What does that have to say for the Berkeley County male residents ? I realize not all of them attend these places but "Taboo" and others like it, certainly don't attract a female audience, unless they're the employees and/or entertainment.
Like the clubs that attract wider audiences both male and female and more than one age bracket.
Don't believe there's any thing like that in Martinsburg.
Cat,

It didn't used to be that way until the early 80's and started sliding downhill every since. We used to joke about how you can go to church, buy a used car, and hit a strip bar all within a 100 yards. There was a time when we had the VFW, the Legion, Gatsby's, Club Lakewood, and a few bars on 11 South past Rt 9. Kearneysville had the log cabin and that was about it. Before you know it one strip bar came in on Rt 9, then another, then another, then another, seemed like every restaurant that went out was replaced by a dive or a used car lot. Much of that can be placed on the old wink wink nod nod county government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 02:59 PM

68 posts, read 215,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Cat,

It didn't used to be that way until the early 80's and started sliding downhill every since. We used to joke about how you can go to church, buy a used car, and hit a strip bar all within a 100 yards. There was a time when we had the VFW, the Legion, Gatsby's, Club Lakewood, and a few bars on 11 South past Rt 9. Kearneysville had the log cabin and that was about it. Before you know it one strip bar came in on Rt 9, then another, then another, then another, seemed like every restaurant that went out was replaced by a dive or a used car lot. Much of that can be placed on the old wink wink nod nod county government.
Zoning aside, I think a lot of those places cropped up on Rt 9 and Rt 11 due to proximity to the VA border -- since VA has more restrictive laws regarding strip clubs than WV, people from the Winchester area or even Northern VA will drive out there to them, so some of them probably do pretty good business. It's sort of like how the gas stations and convenience stores right near the VA border must do a lot of business selling beer between 12am to 2am. I'd imagine that happens near state borders, in cases where the laws differ a little bit, all over the country.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:38 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I vaguely remember the Log Cabin not that I ever went in, just in passing.
Does anyone else see the words "in" and "the" in red besides me ?
It's not like it's hyperlinked or anything.
It is a tad distracting.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:15 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,512,011 times
Quote:
I vaguely remember the Log Cabin not that I ever went in, just in passing.
Does anyone else see the words "in" and "the" in red besides me ?
It's not like it's hyperlinked or anything.
It is a tad distracting.
If you are reffering to the posts, you probably seached something with those words in it. For example, if I hit the "search" button towards the top of the page and typed-in "Martinsburg", the word "Martinsburg" would be highlighted in red font. You may have done this by accident, it's very easy to do. After a while, they should go away. -mmccul

Old 05-29-2009, 10:35 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
I could see if I used words like Martinsburg, Log Cabin, Sheetz, but the words "in" and "but"?

Old 05-29-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I could see if I used words like Martinsburg, Log Cabin, Sheetz, but the words "in" and "but"?
Yeah, I don't know. Hopefully it won't bug you too much. -mmccul

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM

240 posts, read 831,742 times
There was an article in the Herald Mail today about the Raleigh Street extenstion.

West Virginia: N. Raleigh St. extension estimate rises

According to the article the price for the project is now up to $37.7 million for the 1.2 mile project. That seems like an insane price for a short section. If I remember correctly a couple years ago it was estimated for 22 million, then 28 million, and more recently 32.5 million. How on earth does the price keep going up like this and will this ever be complete. The article also states that they may start phase one (Edwin Miller to Tavern Road) late this year or early next year. I would be surpised if they start this time next year.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:57 AM

308 posts, read 799,346 times
Sheetz looks to be almost complete at least on the outside si i wouldn't be surprised to see it open by September.As far as Potomac Station i really don't know what's going on there except that lots 2 and 3 are sold but lot 1 is available.The construction is ongoing so if anyone would like to share what actually is being built that would be great.I know permits have been okayed for quite awhile now for TACO BELL,BURGER KING,BOB EVANS ETC ETC.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:04 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,379,603 times
Went by there today and they are putting in a carwash at the Sheetz. I can't wait for it to open.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REESEY View Post
Sheetz looks to be almost complete at least on the outside si i wouldn't be surprised to see it open by September.As far as Potomac Station i really don't know what's going on there except that lots 2 and 3 are sold but lot 1 is available.The construction is ongoing so if anyone would like to share what actually is being built that would be great.I know permits have been okayed for quite awhile now for TACO BELL,BURGER KING,BOB EVANS ETC ETC.
I've been trying to look up permits today, but the website isn't loading correctly on my computer. I'll try again later. -mmccul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia