Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM

94 posts, read 181,390 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to thank you to everybody who answered my multiple entries in regards to my move to Charleston/Huntington.We indeed are in WV now, found a beautiful house with a gorgeous view
I have to say I really like this state so far, it is quiet, nice and friendly...but...I was shocked that my pay as an experienced RN will take another hit(from CA to FL they slashed $15/hr off).Now I am beeing offered only 22/hr Is that the normal pay scale here? I have been told that the cost of living is much much less...but I do not see it so far...not by more than $5/hr less!
Any nurses here? Should I work only perdiem to get my wages up, or is this truly the wage for nurses here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,317,255 times
The overtime will take up the slack...the nurses I know (3) crowd 100k per year...

Old 06-03-2009, 01:34 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
$22 an hour is good starting out wages for an RN. Remember anytime you start a new job you have to work yourself up to higher wages. You will get by easily on that alone, I didn't read to see if you have a partner or anything to contribute an income but the cost of living in WV is very, very cheap. If you have a B.S. in nursing you can also progress into management in most positions which offers a pay increase.

Old 06-03-2009, 02:24 AM

The best paying nursing jobs and living conditions are in Jacksonville, Florida. Wages to $40 per hour and the ocean coast.

About 5 years ago, the state ran hospital facilities began a silent wage freeze...I saw it at our hospitals here.
Up until then, when each hospital gave their employees a additional dollar on the hour, a stampede took place to deplete the others staff.
It was always openly talked about in our cafeteria.

That does not happen now. At that time the nursing wage topped out at $24..now it's in that $22 range and I'm sure if a person could find them, there are people in power who dictated a new policy with wage freezes.

What is called in the business world 'price fixing..gasoline? steel? food stocks?...something that is never done, but suspected...ha ha ha...lol.

Old 06-03-2009, 04:03 AM

246 posts, read 880,735 times
Only 22 an hour? Thats an outrage!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
Take a look at this site Registered Nurses
also allows you to create your own report

Old 06-03-2009, 09:57 AM

108 posts, read 306,334 times
Having moved from CA to WV myself it seems to me that the cost of living thing is overrated! Yes, the cost of buying or renting a house/apartment is far less, but the cost of groceries is about the same and WV charges tax. Utilities rates are slightly higher in WV and you use way more to heat your house in the winter! Property taxes in WV are usually much cheaper than CA on your primary residence (at least here in Taylor Co. they cut them in half for owner occupied), for rental properties they are only slightly cheaper in WV. Car insurance is slightly MORE in WV, the price of a car seems slightly less here, registration/personal property tax is lower in WV! Everything else is about the same. So, as far as I'm concerned, overall WV is only slightly cheaper on a day to day basis and not nearly enough to justify getting paid half of what you could be making somewhere else. That is, of course, unless you consider other intangibles like reduced traffic/commute, more relaxed atmosphere, much better scenery, fresh air, WAY less and much nicer people! BTW, I'm comparing WV to So. CA (Orange Co.) where we hardly ever needed to run the heater in the winter and often had to use the A/C all year round, plus we were in a 1200 sq/ft Condo and now a 2500 sq/ft house, so my utilities may only seem higher!

Old 06-06-2009, 02:48 AM

28 posts, read 79,734 times
$22/hr for an experienced RN is really lowball. I'm sorry to hear that - did they factor in any certifications,ACLS, etc? I don't know how the individual hospital determines steps etc.

but that sucks. I know my mother (a CCRN) would be pissed.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:38 AM

If you want a high end wage in Wv, you must look at teaching...shakes out to over $30 per hour with benefits..not a lot of responsibility and a Union with an iron grip on the legislature.

Teachers make more money than miners, if you factor it to days worked..

185 days off per year... let me repeat that..185 days off per year...(6 months)

The nurses do not complain about wages as much as working conditions...some in the past have attended to as much a 22/24 patients...overwhelming responsibility!

Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,938 times
I agree with the other comments....22 per hour isn't that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia