Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:17 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
My suggestion... drive I 70 to Washington, PA, then south on I79 to the US 19 Exit. It is a four lane expressway and cuts miles off your trip, and it also takes you through spectacular scenery. You can pick up I77 in Beckley. Be careful in the notorious speed trap of Summersville.

West VirginiaMain article: U.S. Route 19 in West Virginia

New River Gorge BridgeUS 19 enters West Virginia as a six lane highway near Bluefield, where it narrows to a two-lane as it winds northward. It later parallels Interstate 77 and 64 until it reaches Beckley, where it becomes the four-lane Corridor L. It crosses the New River Gorge Bridge at Fayetteville and passes through Summersville, and Birch River before arriving at Interstate 79, five miles (8 km) south of Sutton. From there, it runs concurrent with Interstate 79 from exit 57 to exit 67 at Flatwoods, West Virginia . Then, it exits and reverts a two lane highway, more or less following the route of I-79 as it passes through Weston, Clarksburg, Fairmont, and Morgantown before crossing into Pennsylvania.

Route 19 through Summersville, West Virginia has been dubbed the "World's Largest Speed Trap."[13]
You have got to be kidding me, right? That's probably the worst advice i've seen given on this forum. That added 224 miles and 4 hours to the duration of the trip. Why didn't you just recommend they stop on the way to Boston, Mass to save time while you are at it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 09:37 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
You have got to be kidding me, right? That's probably the worst advice i've seen given on this forum. That added 224 miles and 4 hours to the duration of the trip. Why didn't you just recommend they stop on the way to Boston, Mass to save time while you are at it?
Rest easy, SdS. The OP was from nearly 2 years ago, so whatever way they went, can't change it now.

I sorta got the idea they wanted to sightsee a bit in WV, instead of just blazing thru on the Interstates, and CT's route is a decent alternative. If they had enough time, I would have sent them across 33 to Elkins, then 219 all the way to Lewisburg, or even Princeton.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Rest easy, SdS. The OP was from nearly 2 years ago, so whatever way they went, can't change it now.

I sorta got the idea they wanted to sightsee a bit in WV, instead of just blazing thru on the Interstates, and CT's route is a decent alternative. If they had enough time, I would have sent them across 33 to Elkins, then 219 all the way to Lewisburg, or even Princeton.
I'm quite aware this post is two years old. But the OP was worried about elevation change and sharp turns while driving a Uhaul!!! In no point in any of the OP's posts did they come across as looking for an adventure. He/She clearly wanted to get from point A to point Z with as little pain as possible. .

Old 04-09-2011, 01:44 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I can't tell if you guys are replying to the OP of two years ago, or the guy who reopened the thread. But the OP's question shows he's never been east before. If he got on I-70 from the beginning, where it dead ends at I-15, in Utah, he was probably going up I-15 from SoCal or Southern Nevada, and had already crossed mountain passes higher than the highest point on the east coast. And when he got to Colorado, on the western slope of the Rockies, before he dropped down into Denver, he went through the Eisenhower Tunnel which, at around 11,000 feet elevation, is still 1,000 feet below the top of the mountain. I-70 in Utah and Colorado is a thrill a minute, and West Virginia would seem like gentle rolling hills after that.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I can't tell if you guys are replying to the OP of two years ago, or the guy who reopened the thread. But the OP's question shows he's never been east before. If he got on I-70 from the beginning, where it dead ends at I-15, in Utah, he was probably going up I-15 from SoCal or Southern Nevada, and had already crossed mountain passes higher than the highest point on the east coast. And when he got to Colorado, on the western slope of the Rockies, before he dropped down into Denver, he went through the Eisenhower Tunnel which, at around 11,000 feet elevation, is still 1,000 feet below the top of the mountain. I-70 in Utah and Colorado is a thrill a minute, and West Virginia would seem like gentle rolling hills after that.
The WV Turnpike is steeper with sharper turns, and is more dangerous because of the poorly engineered turns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia