Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 04:54 PM

413 posts, read 938,280 times

Advertisements

That section of the mountain is slightly winding (are there any areas of any mountains that aren't? lol). They braked at EVERY turn, no matter how slight. I swear the guy's brake-lights didn't stay off for more than 1/2 second before they flashed on again.

Okay, so I was a flatlander once too. And I realize the mountains can be a little scary. But come on. The speed limit IS 55 there, and you can reasonably do at least 40 around most of those curves. There's no reason to do 30mph on the straight stretches either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 AM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Realize this is couple months in passing but felt obligated to stick up for the possible 'press the brakes' peeps. That could depend on the car one has. I've noticed that going downhill, our Jeep Liberty barrels faster than our Honda Element. I have to use the brakes more often. I know I don't ride them too much 'cuz the Jeep maintenance said the pads were in good shape at the last checkup. Going up hill,... is another story. I'll have my foot on the gas but the car certainly doesn't go as fast as I'd like it to.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:15 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtgirl View Post
Yesterday, on my way from the valley to Roanoke, VA to see the boy, I found myself coming up quickly on a slow moving vehicle.

As I got closer, I realized "I recognize those plates!" They were Michiganders!

They were also riding their brakes UP the mountain (as if 30mph isn't slow enough!).

I yelled "Damn flatlanders, get the hell out of my way" and passed them in a barely-legal move and sped off down the mountain.

I'm assimilating nicely.
Sounds judgemental if you ask me.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM

Judgemental.... by calling them flatlanders? I think being a Michigan Native myself, I'm at liberty to make that judgement.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:32 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Judgemental.... by calling them flatlanders? I think being a Michigan Native myself, I'm at liberty to make that judgement.
Still, I would put myself in their shoes.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:47 AM

I've been in their shoes. That's the whole point of this thread.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:39 AM

19,771 posts, read 22,673,762 times
I get a kick out of Rt. 50 going from Grafton over towards Keyser. It's 55mph, including a lot of major curves, and I wind up passing a crap load of cars on that road.

I've stressed a lot of sidewall on that road, lol.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:03 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
I would personally be offended to share the state with someone who would yell ANYTHING at another motorist, particularly when you don't know what that person's circumstances are. Road rage belongs in other states - not in WV.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:48 AM

Hardly road-rage, and I didn't literally yell. I think the point of this thread got lost. It was suppose to be a humorous look at how my driving habits have changed since moving to the mountains. However, everyone has bent it out of shape.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:54 AM

240 posts, read 732,437 times
Quote:
That section of the mountain is slightly winding (are there any areas of any mountains that aren't? lol). They braked at EVERY turn, no matter how slight. I swear the guy's brake-lights didn't stay off for more than 1/2 second before they flashed on again.

Okay, so I was a flatlander once too. And I realize the mountains can be a little scary. But come on. The speed limit IS 55 there, and you can reasonably do at least 40 around most of those curves. There's no reason to do 30mph on the straight stretches either.
Maybe you should have kept your old driving habits. I, for one, am tired of paying three times the liability here than that of other states because certain people want to drive like lunatics and kill themselves. And others

Slow down. You are only going to get there a couple minutes earlier by speeding.

And be careful who you go redneck on. You might not like the results. ;)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia