Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 10:08 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times

Advertisements

Reposting a thread from the Pittsburgh board to get some West Virginian thoughts.

I think this is relevant to Morgantown, but the discussion could run broader, and that would be good too.

What are the features that make the Pittsburgh/Morgantown/Alleghenie region most attractive? Is it the hills? The proximity to mountains? The steep ravines with big rivers in them, or just the wooded roll and tumble of it all?

I ask because I am used to basin and range country (Nevada, E. Oregon, E. California) with some great ranges but with largely flat land too. Also, we have a huge mountain to the south, Mount Shasta, that rises like Mt Fuji. So, while I really don't like true plains with no mountains in sight. I am used to being in the flats and looking at distance, cold peaks.

So, how does the topography of your region affect your life and perception of beauty, settlement,etc. there?

What distinguishes a hill from a mountain in your parts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:07 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,070,678 times
Rolling hills give you a feeling of security. I'm sure others on here will know what i meant by that. What you see is what you know, and if you can only see a couple hundred yards to the horizon, then that space, is the only concern for you at the time.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Rolling hills give you a feeling of security. I'm sure others on here will know what i meant by that. What you see is what you know, and if you can only see a couple hundred yards to the horizon, then that space, is the only concern for you at the time.
And the weird thing is whenever you go to, say, Texas, and there are no hills. That strange, complete...flatness. It makes me sort of nauseous until I get used to it. A sort of horizontal vertigo.

Anybody else get that?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
And the weird thing is whenever you go to, say, Texas, and there are no hills. That strange, complete...flatness. It makes me sort of nauseous until I get used to it. A sort of horizontal vertigo.

Anybody else get that?

Actually, some parts of Texas have hills, but the whole state is so huge. They are a little part of it. When I was in Texas, near Austin in the Hill Country, I was open to seeing some hills. Unfortunately, they seemed tiny compared to our hills and mountains in Oregon, specifically the Siskiyou Mountains of Southern Oregon. That said, I don't mind wide open plains, but I agree they have a different feel to them.

Around here, I would say anything over a thousand feet high, foot to top would be a mountain. And some small ones can be quite dramatic. By that definition, I would suspect that West Virginia is mostly hills, but with mountains rising up along the eastern boundary. Agree? The coolest thing I notice about that part of the world are the deep gorges along all the major rivers. Must be very beautiful.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:36 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
According to Wikipedia, there's a more-or-less agreed to set of definitions for rolling plains, hill, and mountains:
* Flat to 500 feet, base to highest point - Rolling Plain
* Highest point 501 to 999 feet above base - Hill
* Highest point 1000 feet or more above base - Mountain

Without spending a lot of time looking at topographic maps, I'd say the mountainous part of West Virginia is ("roughly") east of a line going from Morgantown to Clarksburg, to Sutton to Beckley, then southwest from Beckley to the Kentucky line.

So I'd say it's more like "the eastern half" of the state, as opposed to "along the eastern border". And you're right, it's very dramatic, visually. If I remember HS science correctly, the Appalachians are much older than the Rockies, for example. So the river gorges (the Cheat and the New come to mind) are quite deep (although not Grand Canyon deep).

Last edited by snorpus; 05-09-2010 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: Added link

Old 05-09-2010, 11:16 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,643 times
In aviation, almost the entire state of WV is designated "mountainous".
Attached Thumbnails
Mountains, Hills, Plateaus, and Ravines?-mountainous.gif  

Old 05-09-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
According to Wikipedia, there's a more-or-less agreed to set of definitions for rolling plains, hill, and mountains:

Without spending a lot of time looking at topographic maps, I'd say the mountainous part of West Virginia is ("roughly") east of a line going from Morgantown to Clarksburg, to Sutton to Beckley, then southwest from Beckley to the Kentucky line.

So I'd say it's more like "the eastern half" of the state, as opposed to "along the eastern border". And you're right, it's very dramatic, visually. If I remember HS science correctly, the Appalachians are much older than the Rockies, for example. So the river gorges (the Cheat and the New come to mind) are quite deep (although not Grand Canyon deep).
Cool that I caught the hill/mountain definition by the seat of the pants. Well if the whole eastern half of WV is mountains, that would suite me fine. Hope I get to see it soon!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:03 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
I moved to Nevada from WV a long time ago. My county plus either one of the two bordering counties are together larger than the state of West Virginia. Our mountains in Nevada reach over 13,000 feet. The highest peak in WV is about 4800. We have miles and miles of miles and miles, but always in the distance we are surrounded by some of the highest mountains in North America. Because that's what I'm now used to, when I go back to West Virgina I feel claustrophobic. My wife complains that they should cut down some of those darn trees so she can see beyond the narrow roads. It's like you are always in a narrow slot canyon of trees. I've been working on writing a book about a kid in West Virginia. Here's a highly condensed excerpt that gets into the state a little bit.

"...West Virginia has always been a difficult state to get around in,…Before the 1970’s people limited their travels … Nowadays, with interstate freeways, and road straightening projects, it’s admittedly better, but off the main highways the old country roads are still there. Many of them not paved, and many coated with coal cinders in place of gravel….
…Add to the poor road system the fact that West Virginia is the hilliest state in the nation…. The locals often say, there are only two directions...up, and down. It is mostly rural, even though it seems you can’t drive more than a couple of miles down any main highway without passing through one small village after the other….
…The state is mostly forested, and it seems like it is possible there are more trees in West Virginia than there are people on earth. It has been said that a squirrel could cross West Virginia from one border to the other without ever setting foot on the ground. Cleared land…. will turn itself back into forest in a relatively short time. It rains and snows …quite a lot. People from the dryer climes, way out west, say West Virginia looks to them like a jungle, although it isn’t the least bit tropical in climate,…
…The Ohio River constitutes most of its western boundary. People are often surprised to discover that the Ohio River actually flows in West Virginia along the border between the two states. …
…Volumes have been written to try and explain the West Virginia psyche, and few have ever hit the nail on the head; but certainly a lot of how the people are, and have always been, has to do with the terrain itself. To say the least, it has made both travel and social interaction truly difficult. In reality, although this may be oxymoronic, it is a congested rural area. Everyone is separated from everyone else by natural obstacles, if not distance, because it is a relatively small state in area….
…Truthfully, there are no friendlier, more helpful, people on earth than those found in the Mountain state, …" © 2005 (Buzz123)

Old 05-10-2010, 01:35 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post

You are right about the Appalachians being the oldest. They were formed when Africa and North America collided, and they were higher than the Rockies or the Sierra Nevadas millions of years ago. But they've had longer to get themselves worn down. I would imagine the New River Gorge might have been deeper than the Grand Canyon. The western mountains will someday be as low as the Appalachians are now. The "New" River is actually the oldest in the country. The entire state is comprised of hills with almost no flat land whatsoever. When people in the western half say they are going to the mountains, they mean the part of the Appalachians which comprise the Alleghenies. But in reality every inch of the state is mountains in West Virginia. Because of the height of our western mountains, there has always been the argument that "the mountains" in the east are really just hills. I'd say it has more to do with ruggedness, and how far down you might fall, than altitude. My buddy in Morgantown who has written several books about his experiences homesteading on a rugged mountaintop overlooking the Cheat River Gorge was only at 1700 feet in altitude. My home isn't on a mountain, it's almost flat, and we're over 2400 feet. So which of us is in the mountains? I look out my window at a 12,000 foot peak covered with snow while it's 90º down here in the valley at 2400. But I don't have to worry about any drop offs or cliffs to fall down. I was at Death Valley about a week ago at Bad Water which is 282 feet below sea level. Looking up at the "Sea Level" sign which is only part way up the cliff just across the road, I'd say Bad Water is at the base of a mountain.

My buddy wrote in one of his books that he heard you could find more life species in one sq. mile of Appalachian wilderness than in all of Africa. It's for sure there's more than we have here in Nevada.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:23 PM

Great posts Buzz123!

I love all the information about the woods and the hills. Makes me want to head over to the mountain state to homestead on my own mountain top and count a few critters. Oh, wait, I need a job!

Well, working that one. We'll see how it all shakes out.

I know what you mean about perspective. Yes, the West has higher mountains and more open, majestic landscapes, but the east has its flavor too, especially that region, and that is what I was asking about. Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia