Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM

26 posts, read 75,667 times

Advertisements

Since you have family in Parkersburg/Vienna, you probably are already aware of this, but we have WVU-P, Marietta College and are fairly near OU in Athens, Ohio. It's in the northern part of the state, 2 hours from Columbus or Pittsburgh, so it's not very insular. I had much the same requirements and have been happy since we relocated here a year ago. My biggest complaint is probably that there are some factories, wondering what is in our air and water. I have friends that live the "Mother Earth News" lifestyle in Ravenswood/Ripley area near here. Hope that helps! I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you have about this area in an unbiased fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 06:41 PM

37 posts, read 104,006 times
try looking on www.findwvrealesate.com
I live in Buckhannon and Elkins nearby is progressive and cool. Both have small colleges.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:40 PM

57 posts, read 230,308 times
Just want to add one small note... When the civil war started, the part of Virginia now known as the State of West Virginia, sided with the North. Not the South, as the rest of Virginia did. So the flying of confederate flags there today really would not be for historical reasons.

There are some absolutely lovely small towns, (populations growing) in southern West Virginia. And some of the most magnificent scenery! Rivers, mountains... I suggest a visit.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:21 AM

4 posts, read 9,631 times
The town of Cairo is 20 minutes east of Parkersburg and 4 miles off interstate 50. It is an old retired oil boom town, now with a pop. 200.It is 8 miles from a small town where doctors, dentist, and small grocery store, 2 pharmacies, 2 hardwares, a Family dollar and Dollar General store. Not much in the town of Cairo itself. We bought a 5 bedroom home here in 2008 with barn, garage, and 1 1/2 acres on the edge of town for $30,000 (a Freddie Mac foreclosure). It had been vacant 3 years and required a moderate amount of work. There is no work in Cairo. We are self employed and work from home. We have city water. Out of town folks sometimes have trouble with wells and have a cistern for back-up. They hire a truck to bring out water when needed. If you buy property with well, have it tested before signing to buy.

Old 11-12-2010, 12:55 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,244,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwander View Post
Just want to add one small note... When the civil war started, the part of Virginia now known as the State of West Virginia, sided with the North. Not the South, as the rest of Virginia did. So the flying of confederate flags there today really would not be for historical reasons.
That's not really true, though it is believed by most people.

West Virginia, The Other History

Old 11-15-2010, 09:15 AM

10 posts, read 19,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady of the Lake 1959 View Post
Elkins nearby is progressive and cool.
Progressive? Elkins? The tiny town in WV? LOL!!

Dictionary:
[pruh-gres-iv]
making progress toward better conditions; employing or advocating more enlightened or liberal ideas, new or experimental methods, etc.: a progressive community.

Elkins is very regressive (backward reasoning). Sixteen years here and coming from several truly progressive regions, it would take only a visit to somewhere outside the state borders to realize how truly backward this area is. Some of the retarded thinking in this region is what makes it so very appealing as nothing ever changes.

There are people living in conditions that may date to the 1930's shacks. Car dealerships, ONE!!! LOL! Shopping has stalled at early 1970's level. There is a WalMart!! Never go shopping during the first of the month as welfare people flood Elkins shopping places.

Home improvement stores; Lowes in Buchanon and Home Depot in Clarksburg. Don't forget to make a comprehensive list!! WV gasoline taxes are progressive!!

Old 11-15-2010, 01:11 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
I'm not quite sure that progressiveness is best measured by the number of shopping opportunities.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:05 PM

537 posts, read 958,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I'm not quite sure that progressiveness is best measured by the number of shopping opportunities.
Huh? This is AMERICA! EVERYTHING is measured by number of shopping opportunities!!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:13 PM

10 posts, read 19,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I've talked to people who have lived here since the 1960s and they claim there were more stores then than now. And it has been told to me there were 4 car dealerships, now there is ONE. That's regressive!! Unless new math is applied...

If this place was progressive, the population would have grown since the 60's. Therefore more chain and Mom & Pop stores, car dealers, work opportunities ect. At least that's how it worked in other places that I escaped from 16 years ago.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red.ochre View Post
I have seen Confederate flags in West Virginia.

I'll ask an owner about it next time, but for what it's worth, even though this is the second poorest state in the country, and probably the most toothless (due to people pulling their own teeth who can't afford a dentist), West Virginia ranks near top of people who know the Constitution. Hillbillies are smart, go figure.

I'm no expert on the topic, but it is my understanding, the Confederacy was closer to the Constitution (a Constitutional Republic) than what we have today in the Federal government. So you might try giving it a benefit of a doubt if you see one, that perhaps the statement unto itself is to the Constitution.

Can't knock your concern though. Like symbolism was hijacked by Nazis in the swastika, I wouldn't argue the Confederate flag has been hijacked by rednecks. And I understand urges, as I have a rational one everytime I see a flag not American raised atop a Federal building in this country replacing the American flag, which is, in no uncertain terms, an open declaration of war.

As for earning $40,000 year, working from home . . food for thought, average wages in West Virginia are about $28,500.

Best wishes.
^^^^Who is this person?^^^^^

You might want to check out Fairmont. It is close to everything you are looking for, including an outstanding major University town just 15 minutes away and with a nice college right in the town, and it is just 1 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia