Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 01:32 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times

Advertisements

Hope you all made happy memories of the holidays.

I just got home after yet another thrill a minute slide from cumberland all the way to charleston. You'd think by now I'd stop listening to the weather channel when it comes to I-68! If you must go out, take it easy on the roads today. That inch of slush is masking black ice.

Came home to pretty icicles hanging down the gutters and noted the gutter is clogged with solid ice (enough to split the connection to the downspout). This can't be a good thing for that first course of shingles. Hammer time??

OK OK not at 3am, but how else in the afternoon? I can't picture myself holding a heat gun that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:47 AM

967 posts, read 2,995,979 times
Could put some heat tape under the gutters...

Old 01-10-2010, 08:46 AM

19,774 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Hot water. You don't want to bang on frozen aluminum gutters with a hammer or ice pick.

Or of the sun comes out (ha-ha), put a black plastic bag or tarp over the ice to speed up the thawing process.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,237,435 times
If you can get at it, hang a high-wattage "trouble light" as close to the frozen area as possible. At least that has worked for me on frozen pipes in the basement.

I think plumbers apply a voltage (in series with a variable resistor) to pipes and metal gutters, but that's one of those "don't try this at home, folks" solutions.

My outdoor sensor thermometer went as low as -3 this morning, although the weather service says it only went down to +5.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,315,952 times
Why take a chance on falling and breaking a bone...

Grandmother Nature will take care of this ice freeze as soon as Al Gore gives her a call and explains that our pending ice age and global warming mean the same thing...

Whatever happened to that hole in the Ozone Layer?

Every decade we have an Eco-hoax...

And a fellow told me that the reproducing cycle of Polar Bears was up 50%...due to the warmer climate and the little bears being more able to survive...

I thought they were going extinct. lol

Wonder whats next...????

Old 01-10-2010, 03:22 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Al who?

Old 01-10-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Could put some heat tape under the gutters...
I've never seen that available to ordinary consumers, only industrial purposes. I think I'll give ace hardware a call tomorrow. Turns out the whole neighborhood has the same problem. Someone selling gutters is going to be very busy come spring. Neighbors directly next door had their gutter completely split in half on centerline. Ice damming is in full force even on slate roof homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Hot water. You don't want to bang on frozen aluminum gutters with a hammer or ice pick.

Or of the sun comes out (ha-ha), put a black plastic bag or tarp over the ice to speed up the thawing process.
Well, I do WANT to bang on them because it's ugly and needs replacement, but you're right that I shouldn't so I'll behave (for now ). My case I think I need 2 downspouts because even when gutters are clean it can't keep up with torrents we get from time to time.

We used to do that hot water trick on our dock when product would freeze in the pipe. Don't even ask how cold it has to be outside for gas to freeze. Suffice to say my enmity of cold extremes was earned. Bucket brigade with coffee pots. I think I'll go with that tomorrow if I can find a steady ladder and see how it flies. The snow melting when our mild 40 degree winter returns during the week is going to need a way out & best I be ahead of that 8 ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
If you can get at it, hang a high-wattage "trouble light" as close to the frozen area as possible. At least that has worked for me on frozen pipes in the basement.

I think plumbers apply a voltage (in series with a variable resistor) to pipes and metal gutters, but that's one of those "don't try this at home, folks" solutions.

My outdoor sensor thermometer went as low as -3 this morning, although the weather service says it only went down to +5.
My car thermometer dipped down to 8 on my ride between morgantown and cumberland. Elevation temps are in a league of their own.

You're gonna laugh hard. I replaced the bulbs on my spot lighting with high lumen fluorescent because I didn't see the point of them being so hot. LMAO. OK, smacking self, push ups till someone else is tired.

FYI about those fluorescent lights for outdoor purposes-- the flood lights used in motion detector type units don't have a ballast that's compatible with CFL use, but neither is advertising that fact in packaging. Good thing I haven't worn my welcome with the Goldfarb guys- they've spared me lots of troubles and look forward to comic relief hearing the latest DIY project. I pride myself at having the power to make employees shake their heads with disbelief, but really, they deserve all the credit becoming fluent so quickly in female thingamabob doHickey language.

ALICET if you don't cease and desist your santanic 'let it snow' spell my neighborhood is going to classless action suit your bigfoot in pepto pink tulle of the ugliest bridesmaid ever lived. Charleston lawyers are abundant and very skinny this season.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:49 PM

***another brilliant idea of mine was using ice melt. I didn't do that well in college chemistry to know how much damage that experiment would do to aluminum. OK back to being hayve.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
ALICET if you don't cease and desist your santanic 'let it snow' spell my neighborhood is going to classless action suit your bigfoot in pepto pink tulle of the ugliest bridesmaid ever lived. Charleston lawyers are abundant and very skinny this season.
I give up, what is santanic?

Old 01-10-2010, 11:16 PM

374 posts, read 1,125,910 times
Maybe it has something to do with Santa? :P We, too, were wishing for snow and now we are good- no more please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia