Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:07 PM

735 posts, read 1,170,742 times

Advertisements

Anyone watch this station's newscast lately? For the last several days they have been broadcasting their newscasts from the newsroom.

Did their news set suffer from a roof collapse or are they just remodeling it? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:51 AM

352 posts, read 796,818 times
We do watch NBC-25 for local news and weather (Lou Scally...our local celebrity!). They mentioned that they are making some "changes" in the news room...and I suppose all will be revealed in due time. I've also noticed some changes in the station "logo" and new ads featuring the news teams...they can use a bit of updating.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:12 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Anyone watch this station's newscast lately? For the last several days they have been broadcasting their newscasts from the newsroom.

Did their news set suffer from a roof collapse or are they just remodeling it? Anyone know?
I noticed it too!!! Like now they refer to it as "WHAG Hagerstown" instead of "NBC 25", they way it used to be called. I like the fact that they are changing some things around, such as the sets. Like WVBurn said, they really do need an upgrade. When I watch the NBC channel in DC, then flip back to 25, it's like a flashback to the 90's or something. Not being critical, but change is good, and I'm glad they are making some changes. I wish them luck with their new look!!! -mmccul

Old 02-12-2010, 07:51 PM

Default NBC 25 Changes

I have answers. I don't know the why- maybe NBC 25 wanted to distance themselves from NBC and that network's horrible ratings as of late or maybe they just wanted to emulate WRC NBC 4 in DC. But the station stopped using NBC 25 in their on air liners, logo and promos.

Instead they are using the station's call letters. So now when you watch their news cast you see WHAG and the NBC logo in the corner of the screen instead of NBC 25. It takes some getting used to.

The news set has been touched up as well- the NBC 25 logo has been removed and replaced by the WHAG and NBC logo on the anchor desk and wall behind the anchor desk. The wall behind the anchor desk appears to be some type of window that shows a bank of tv monitors behind it, which looks weird.

The station has also updated their music (sounds like WRC's) and graphics package. I think their color scheme for the graphics has too much orange in it for my taste- they need more blue and gold.

Interesting updates though. I will still be calling the station NBC 25 though.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I noticed it too!!! Like now they refer to it as "WHAG Hagerstown" instead of "NBC 25", they way it used to be called. I like the fact that they are changing some things around, such as the sets. Like WVBurn said, they really do need an upgrade. When I watch the NBC channel in DC, then flip back to 25, it's like a flashback to the 90's or something. Not being critical, but change is good, and I'm glad they are making some changes. I wish them luck with their new look!!! -mmccul
I noticed this too also during the day when they do the news break they announce it before they just had it.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:22 AM

307 posts, read 692,218 times
No roof collapse. Just station updating and remodeling.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:38 AM

352 posts, read 796,818 times
We are finally getting used to the new "big city" look of WHAG...it's a nice change...now if they would just get some HD cameras! Since this is the West Virginia board, we should say that this news station has Gov. Manchin on the news as much and probably more than our Gov. O'Malley!

Old 02-18-2010, 11:50 AM

267 posts, read 1,361,113 times
WHAG had to change mainly because of competition and for the first time in many years its something they are facing.

I have heard rumors that Winchester, Virginia's ABC 3 may be coming to satellite and cable in the Eastern Panhandle by the end of the year ( they are already doing more Martinsburg area stories ) plus their on-air product was actually better than what WHAG had prior to the change such as weathergal Lauryn Rickets they managed to get from FOX. Yeah WHAG had to change.

http://www.tv3winchester.com/

Does anybody in Martinsburg remember the old FOX 60? I can only imagine what they would be like today...and WHAG had FOX 60 been a success.

Last edited by billybobwv; 02-18-2010 at 11:58 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:59 PM

If ABC 3 is ramping up to take on NBC 25 that is good news for us viewers. If they are planning to appear on cable and satellite later in the year- that is even better. I for one don't mind having duplicate network affiliates on my cable/satellite line up- to guard against local preemptions of network programming.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:35 PM

229 posts, read 879,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
If ABC 3 is ramping up to take on NBC 25 that is good news for us viewers. If they are planning to appear on cable and satellite later in the year- that is even better. I for one don't mind having duplicate network affiliates on my cable/satellite line up- to guard against local preemptions of network programming.
Yesterday in Inwood I saw a van in the parking lot of the local Food Lion that said "ABC 3 Winchester Eyewitness News". Granted they haven't used that name on the air yet but if thats in the cards for them I can now see why the change at NBC 25 WHAG since both stations are owned by the biggies of TV. Hagerstown's NBC 25 by Nexstar and Winchester's ABC 3 by Gray Television

Between the two biggest cities in the area ( Hagerstown and Winchester ) this may get very interesting for Martinsburg area TV viewers who are right in the center of this.

Last edited by cathy J.; 02-18-2010 at 11:02 PM.. Reason: extra words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: