Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 07:29 AM

4 posts, read 18,194 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed all the animal abuse/neglect cases in our state? I think these ppl hoarding these animals needs imprisoned, and fined huge fines. Some of the pictures, and articles are horrible. At least once a week there is a place being busted for these same things. God pity these poor animals. Anyone have any comments on this subject? The humane shelters are full of these pitiful animals that have been taken from homes/kennels of abuse/neglect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 05:45 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Sadly this problem is not just contained by the WV borders. This abuse to animals is happening all over the country, and world. It sickens me the things people could do to defenseless, helpless animals

Old 06-17-2007, 08:53 AM

4 posts, read 18,194 times

Thank you for your reply. You are absolutely right, it is all over the country. I guess I was just looking at the cases that have happened close, like Preston county, and Randolph county. there are others too, to numerous to mention. I just find it so repulsive the way animals are tortured, with no means to protect themselves. So, so sad indeed.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:29 PM

I'm from Elkins... what cases did you hear about Randolph county???? I'm away living in Huntington while I go to Marshall

Old 06-20-2007, 12:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
I'm originally from Charleston and no, it's not unique to WV.

I'm in Atlanta now, and recently a case was tried where an underage black youth set two pups on fire. All he got was 60 days in juvy and probation for it. Last year a kid like him only younger put a puppy in a community rec center oven and invited his friends over to watch it. I think he got a longer sentence. In south Georgia a guy and his girlfriend broke into a woman's home, stole her items, and on the way out took her small dog and put it into an oven at 400+ degrees; she came home to that.

We're in an age where there are some extremely sick people roaming around. Many times this behavior can be seen when they're young, but the parents ignore it, try not to see or acknowledge it, or the punishments are too lean if they are caught. I'm not sure what to suggest as someone who is mentally sick enough to do this kind of thing isn't going to be stopped by simply "respect life" sermons in school. I can only say if you know of any kids or teens who have shown signs of abusing animals you need to inform someone of authority ASAP and make sure it's brought to their attention.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:17 AM

Yes, that horrifies me. HOW CAN SOMEONE BE SO SICK!?!? I think if you kill an animal you should get a manditory 5 year sentence at least. Preferably 30years of home confinement after that.

Old 07-01-2007, 02:16 PM

Location: Ilive in Woodland Park Parkersburg,WV. But we are moving to Sav. GA
7 posts, read 21,528 times
I wish there were pet rescues in WV. We wanted to open one but now we are moving out of WV. It is a horrible situation and the laws must change in WV for the abuse/neglect of animals so the word gets out, do the crime do the time. it is very sad

Old 07-01-2007, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 4,005 times
Default Many Rescues and Shelters in WV

I agree with everything said.
I just wanted to mention that there are many pet rescues (both breed specific and home based) as well as municipal shelters throughout the state. One good place to located a list of Rescues and Shelters in our State is petfinder.com. Unfortunately most do not receive any funding or support from their local governments. My wife and I volunteer at a local one and have met a lot of nice local people who do also. On a positive note I would say that for every terrible case you read about or see in the news, there are many people who devote much of their time and money to rescuing pets, transporting them to adoptive homes, etc.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,403,643 times
Well believe it or not I am going to say one thing good about Martinsburg.
The Berkeley County Humane Society is top notch. They watch out for cruelty situations and offer much hope for abused animals.

Herd is right, this is not just a WV issue, however, It does seem to be a situation with more cases in the South than anywhere else. While living in NJ and Illinois I never saw much in the way off abuse and "drop offs", however, growing up in WV and now living in GA it is more commonplace.

As Greg said about the dogs, there was a recent group that microwaved puppies down here, and lets not forget our illustrious Atlanta Falcons Quarterback and his Dog Fighting ring.

Dog Fighting down south is another issue which seems to be common place with the inner city drug runners and their pit bulls. Out in the rural areas you have Bubba and his **** fighting rings and not to mention the average Puppy Mill. One can go the the weekend flea market towards Commerce Ga and see this on a larger scale.

Animal abuse in the south seems to be a white trash jubilee and unfortunately about as popular as shooting street signs with the 12 gauge.

Until we start punishing the criminal it will continue. But then again most rapist and murderers seem to only serve one day so I doubt animal enforcement will happen anytime soon

Old 07-03-2007, 08:20 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,173,078 times
I am in FL not WV, but we definitely have our share of animal abuse and neglect down here as well. It breaks my heart when I hear about this stuff! I agree that people should get jail time for animal abuse! If we had stiffer punishments for all of this and if more people would step up and report animal abuse and neglect, there would be alot less!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia