Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 02:20 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by house shopping View Post
Bargain? ha! my point is proven here. All of what you spew is bias (Because you reside there)non-informational and meant to play up the area. I have driven the area and even spent a few days in your town, talked to the locals and went to the schools and it is way overvalued IMHO.

Since you say I have not made any points let me list them for you. perhaps this way you may comprehend:

1. taxes for an inexpensive 300K home in YH can reach a whopping $10-12K OUCH!
2. Schools in some Yorktown areas equate to Cortland and schools in YH equate to white plains (where taxes are typicaly $5000). Looking at reports, visiting the schools, talking to administration, having insider information will confirm this for you.
3. schools in katonah/lewisboro, chappaqua, Bedford, pound ridge are far superior to the schools in YH. and guess what you pay the same taxes here.
4. The distance to the putnum border is within 5-7 minute drive and taxes come down $5-$7000 yearly. WOW!
5. Commute to the city from YH (unless you are in mid town) is senseless and would take over an hour.
6. Moratorium exists in the town due to mis-management issues. Mis-management of open space, civil services, sewage treatment. All real serious issues.

There are more, shall I go on?

Finally, I would say that when you live in any given area/town you tend to start to glaze over the troubled spots and issues. Of which Yorktown has its share. Its obvious to me that the poster here is trying very hard to sell us on YH. Even with all of its problems, sure its a nice place to live. However, what I said all along is that for the money you are better off in the neighboring towns. I sure hope that clarified it for you. I tried to make it as short of a list as possible for you... However, there are many points to make. Somehow I don't believe that you will be gettin' it! I think that the polititians could use a guy like you. Have you tried running for public office?
I would guess that House Shopping is a real estate broker who sells in Katonah, Bedford, Pound Ridge, Chappaqua and Bedford, but not Yorktown. Based on the rantings, one would think Yorktown is the equivalent of lower Mount Vernon.

I do not live in YH and have no particular interest in YH. But give me a break. In fact, I would rather live in southern YH than Chappaqua. Why? Because you get a lot more for your money, and you are much less likely to find parents who get their kids a BMW for their 16th birthday, even if they can afford it! A little laid back is much better than hyper-materialistic.

AND STOP JUDGING SCHOOL DISTRICTS BY THEIR SAT SCORES! RICH DISTRICTS ALWAYS HAVE THE HIGHEST SAT SCORES. DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE TYPICAL MATH TEACHER IN CHAPPAQUA IS THAT MUCH BETTER THAN THE TYPICAL MATH TEACHER IN YH?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 PM

83 posts, read 346,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma1250 View Post
As I said, you've made no points since every single thing you wrote is wrong.

The median house price is 550K and the median property taxes are closer to 7K. Homes that sell in the 800K to 1.5K range will have taxes around 12-14K, depending on the age of the home and amount of property.

The schools are far superior to Cortalnd or White Plains by any measure. By any measure they match those that you mentioned. I am an educator and researched the school extensively before choosing YH.

The Putnam border is 15 minutes from Yorktown Heights, not 7.

The commute to the city is indeed an hour, but that is shorter than the commute from most of Katonah/Lewisboro or Bedford and Pound Ridge.

The morratorium has nothing at all to do with management issues. It is about controlling and minimizing growth and preserving open spaces.

I am not sure what your beef is with the town, but you obviously know nothing about what life here is actually like or what the town offers. You are clearly one of those people who simply enjoys spewing venom.
Please tell me where I talk about median price in YH? if you have read andcan read my comments I never once talked about median price. what is that anyway? median price does not mean anything to a perspective shopper. Perhaps to a perspective seller. Or someone who tries to play up an areas value. stealing upon that neighborhood of 5-6 mill homes which pull up the 150K delapetated hood in YH. Olease let me know if you would like me to post homes that are in the 300-400K which have taxes of 7-10K in YH. apparently, you don't know your own area. as for the commute you meraculously slashed the time in half now to 15 min from the prior 30. I'll take it. even though its really only 7 min. unless you are riding a bike and I never said that anyone living someplace is bias (although its probably the case to some extent in most instanses). . what I said is that YOU live there and YOU are bias anyone can see this. You are overzelouse. and you are probably one of the folks that belive that your home is worth 3x what it was last year. give me a break. I'd rather drink your venom than pay 3x for nothing.

that said I think we are going in circles so despite the fact that you said that you have nothing further to add but still do. I will say out of all of the towns that you mntion my personal favorite is katonah/lewisboro. Why? because it actually has open space that is under conservation without a morritorium. folks thats called good management. which means that there still is places to develop without the density you will find in YH, hence the morritorium.

Lastly to all of you listening... I like yorktown and from the start I said its OK but lets be real folks its not all that... XOXOXO spreading love instead of venom he he

Last edited by house shopping; 11-27-2007 at 10:17 PM..

Old 11-27-2007, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I would guess that House Shopping is a real estate broker who sells in Katonah, Bedford, Pound Ridge, Chappaqua and Bedford, but not Yorktown. Based on the rantings, one would think Yorktown is the equivalent of lower Mount Vernon.

I do not live in YH and have no particular interest in YH. But give me a break. In fact, I would rather live in southern YH than Chappaqua. Why? Because you get a lot more for your money, and you are much less likely to find parents who get their kids a BMW for their 16th birthday, even if they can afford it! A little laid back is much better than hyper-materialistic.

AND STOP JUDGING SCHOOL DISTRICTS BY THEIR SAT SCORES! RICH DISTRICTS ALWAYS HAVE THE HIGHEST SAT SCORES. DO YOU KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THE TYPICAL MATH TEACHER IN CHAPPAQUA IS THAT MUCH BETTER THAN THE TYPICAL MATH TEACHER IN YH?
No you are wrong... not a broker. not even close. I have worked in the area for many years for the super wealthy though and can tell you they are not like you describe. Most don't come from money and therefor do not do what you say. some of that goes on though and I do see what your point is. No place is without fault and I never said this. However, if you lookat what you can get for your money in YH vs K/L or say Somers even or how abbout south salem which no one mentioned. You can get just as much for your money. But we shall all see which are will drop thier price under the gun in the coming years.

as for your teacher comment I would think that you have good teachers in the bronx too. its all about the scores though. I did not make this rule NYS did and we all have to live with it. is it an accurate measure? no probably not but let me tell you I for one would much rather take my chances with the teachers in chappaqua than those in YH. But than we really are not cmparing apples here. see my point?

Old 11-28-2007, 08:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
The only thing you said that is valid is that we are going in circles.

As throughout your diatribes you are spewing misinformation. Could you find a 300K house with taxes of 7K? Sure--but if you look at those currently for sale you'll see that most have taxes under 5K (lower than similarly priced homes in K/L). And I can find homes selling for over a million with taxes under 10K. As in all towns in the area, taxes are all over the place.

I believe the only new "point" (to be generous) that you made above is about open space conserved without a moratorium. YH has over 1,400 acres of preserved land. Turkey Mountain, which was recently expanded, Hanover Hilltop Farm, and the Teatown Lake Reservation are among my personal favorites because of their stunning hiking trails. The town even got Trump to give up plans for a golf community and instead donate the land (now the Trump park, which is soon to have trails as well).

Anyone looking in northern Westchester should look at all of the towns. I beleive that any will find that YH offers more for the money than it's neighbors. But each town offers a tremendous lifestyle with a totally managable commute at relatively cheap prices.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:30 AM

blah balh blah
blah balh blah
blah balh blah

sounding like a broken record to you? Oh boy!
Pleaseeeeeeeeee look at YH when you are there. even goto the posters home he'll show you around and talk your head off about YH

than be sure to check out the "other" surrounding areas.

relatively cheap prices??? thanks for the lough. Its been fun.

so to recap... distance from putnum is 30 min. than 15
taxes do not exceed 5k than admits that you "could" find homes with taxes over 10K. I wonder what his taxes are. wonder why he won't share? Hit a nerve?

and this guy's an educator?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 AM

sounds to me hes a seller trying to sell but can't. good for you, I'm glad but don't take it off the market please. I think that you should not want just 3x what the home is really worth but go for 4x. why not it will help bring the costs to where they should be finally. Pleeeeese continue spewing now.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:29 AM

25 posts, read 110,477 times
house shopping...

With all due respect, one of Northern Westchester's major selling points has been it's cheapness relative to points further south, however this relative cheapness does not extend to locales in the North East (e.g Lewisboro and North Salem). Essentially, the "relative value for money in terms of home size" argument can be made only for the Towns of Cortlandt and Yorktown, the City of Peekskill and in some respect, Somers.

So, in terms of house sizes/land acreage, you do get more for your money in Yorktown than in MOST areas of Westchester.

In terms of distance from the "Putnam", if I am not mistaken (and I don't think I am), the Town of Yorktown directly borders Putnam County, but Yorktown "Heights" (by it's strictest definition) is the furthest south of the Town of Yorktown, and in real life conditions, it'd be a struggle to get from most points in Yorktown "Heights" to Putnam in under 10 minutes. On the other hand, Shrub Oak (which is a hamlet in the Town of Yorrktown) is just "next door" to Putnam.

As for school distrists, I honestly don't know what the beef here is. Yorktown's district, by any measure (even SAT scores) is probably not much behind Katonah-Lewisboro. Let's just say if I had to choose between living in one or the other, the relative merits of each school district wouldn't play a significant role in making the choice

Old 11-28-2007, 11:41 AM

here is some infor... median home price is not $550k like the poster/home seller sais... its alot lower than that for 2007. do you see what I mean when I saythat he's living in the past?

Search again
MunicipalityYorktown2007 median sales price$489,5002007 sales1832006 median$510,0002006 sales3072002 median$372,0002002 sales4261997 median$204,1151997 sales490
Source: New York Office of Real Property Services

oe can easily asertain from the given info that yorktown has increased approx. over 200% in a short 10 years. is this still reletively cheap to you. if you feel it is here is the link where you can imput any town i westchester. have fun! proof for your pudding.
Ranking housing markets in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam

its 10 miutes now... I'll take it.

Old 11-28-2007, 12:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
My goodness you are such a snide you know what. And so full of misinformation and vitriol!

The 15 minutes was from YH to Putnam border. The 30 minutes was about commute time to the city. There was no change on my part. I certainly never ever said taxes can't exceed any amount. Taxes are all over the place. As for all of the other nonesense you're spewing, whatever...

The 550K figure was from the WPMLS. I see that the Journal has $489,500.

As for my selling, I wouldn't dream of it. This is the best place possible to raise a child and, for that matter, to live (unless I won LOTTO or something). If we are going to play the silly game of guessing one another's secret agendas, one would assume that you are trying to buy a house here and want to reduce prices by spreading bad rumors. One can only hope that no bank gives you financing and that you stay far from northern Westchester. I personally couldn't care less what the market does.

As for northern Westchester's relatative cheapness, I would include Ossining and parts of Katonah in that list. Regarding the area's selling points, I would say the primary one, for me at least, is the natural beauty and abundance of preserved open space.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:38 PM

so far you say I am spewing veom, I'm a snide, I'm full of vitriol. what the hell is wrong with you? have I once called you a name nope. I have stuck to facts here. Just facts and now prooven facs for all to see and you are just upset that those factsare true and you have othig that you can say or do about them. So you turn purple and blue in the face.

I a so happy for you that you love YH. I like it too. and now I might just buy a home right next door . where do you live? and how much is your taxes. I think I asked this already. Forgive m but it seems that I hve to ask about three times to get one answer out of you. Taxes are not all over the place. take a visit to the finance department at Yorktown town hall and anyone can findout what the taxes are for any home in YH. and if one does this they will see that there is in fact a pattern for YH. that pattern is in and around 10K.

WPMLS is known for errors and misinformation. ask any realtor they will tell you this. Heck you can just go on Realtor.com and look at any listing and it will give you the fine print on the bottom. Only as accurate as the person imputing the info wants to be.

if you want to talk about preserved open land than take a look at Fredrick law olmsteads Central park, Oak park Illanois thats managed open space preservation. NOT over developin an area for 15 years and than saying oops this is getting too dence and than placing a moratorium as though somehow the open space down the road will improve the desity of development and building of Mcmantions in another neighborhood. Open space must be apart of the master plan (a fact that was and still is missing). The master plan can not be thought up after the community has been built. Only if it is to be re-built would it offer the improvement of its open space. In this sense YH has realized its density and lack of civil infrastructure. These are real problems that only its residence will see in the years to come and continue to pay for (through high tax). City planners have thier challenge ahead of them with YH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County