Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:02 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,355,658 times

Advertisements

The black section used to be a very family-friendly, middle class neighborhood and much more desirable than where I grew up in SEQueens. However, given the tax base in Westchester, I'd pick Queens over Mount Vernon any day. What's going on there? It's looking "hard" these days. Where are the new residents coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 06:49 PM

Are new residents coming from the northeast Bronx? outside the US? Are there more section 8 vouchers available in Mt Vernon than there were in the past? Something's different. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
I can't say regarding section 8 vouchers. In the 80s, there were a lot of Jamaicans coming in, in the 90s it was Brazilians. Over the last few years there seem to be an increase in the number of Latin Americans but I am not sure exactly which country/ies they are coming from.

Fleetwood is still pretty nice and is becoming more racially diverse, mostly with African-Americans.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
The Langston Terrace neighborhood on the South Side is still a pretty nice, semi-upscale African American community. And the Oakwood Heights area in the northeast part of Mt. Vernon is pretty suburban and upscale, and basically flip Fleetwood's diversity in reverse (the black percentage of Oakwood Heights is basically the white percentage of Fleetwood, both still pretty diverse neighborhoods, I'm white and basically live on the Oakwood Hts/Fleetwood border).

If you're thinking of Third Street as the "black section", it was pretty rough even when I was a kid, and I'm in my early 40s.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:17 PM

I'm thinking of the Vernon Heights section.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:23 AM

I believe Vernon Heights is the neighborhood I grew up in and where my mom still lives (North Side a little bit north of the New Haven Line tracks somewhat to the east). If I'm correct, it's still very much a working class neighborhood, lots of cops, teachers, nurses, etc. A couple of the apartment buildings have a "rough" patch or two, but very nice compared to say Third Street or the area bordering the 241st St subway station, etc.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I believe Vernon Heights is the neighborhood I grew up in and where my mom still lives (North Side a little bit north of the New Haven Line tracks somewhat to the east). If I'm correct, it's still very much a working class neighborhood, lots of cops, teachers, nurses, etc. A couple of the apartment buildings have a "rough" patch or two, but very nice compared to say Third Street or the area bordering the 241st St subway station, etc.
No, the boundaries of the area I'm thinking of are to the west, S. Fulton Ave; to the north, Third Street; to the east Hutch River Pkwy; to the south, Sandford Blvd. The side streets have nice looking homes but the people hanging out along So. Columbus makes you wonder who is living there.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
No, the boundaries of the area I'm thinking of are to the west, S. Fulton Ave; to the north, Third Street; to the east Hutch River Pkwy; to the south, Sandford Blvd. The side streets have nice looking homes but the people hanging out along So. Columbus makes you wonder who is living there.
Yeah you're right, the area I'm thinking of is called Chester Heights. In some ways the area you're thinking has gotten a lot worse. There was talk of extending the retail "urban renewal" zone on Sandford Blvd. into that area with more stores and some hi-rise "luxury condos", but it fell through.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Yeah you're right, the area I'm thinking of is called Chester Heights. In some ways the area you're thinking has gotten a lot worse. There was talk of extending the retail "urban renewal" zone on Sandford Blvd. into that area with more stores and some hi-rise "luxury condos", but it fell through.
Hmm ... It's interesting since just down the road in Pelham Manor are two new malls -- one with a great Fairway supermarket.

Anyway, I wish someone would do something to clean up the strip along So. Columbus between Sandford Blvd and Third Street. The dudes hanging out on the corners take away from the relatively nice interior blocks. I have elderly relatives who have lived in the area since the 70s and I am concerned about their safety. Any ideas of whom to contact in the city government to address my concerns?

If you'd prefer to send a private msg, please do.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 12,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I wish someone would do something to clean up the strip along So. Columbus between Sandford Blvd and Third Street. The dudes hanging out on the corners take away from the relatively nice interior blocks.
Across the street from Graham elementary? Yeah Im very familiar with that area,one of my closest friends lived in The Heights and we use to frequent that block. With the exception of one or two incidences,I remember that particular block being rather tamed and quiet. It was nothing like where I lived,4th st and 3rd ave. But to be fair,I havnt lived in Mt.Vernon in over four years and havnt been in The Height since high school,so the area couldve gotten worst,according to friends and family the entire city has gotten worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County