Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM

9 posts, read 31,984 times

Advertisements

I know my price isn't ideal, but I am looking for houses in that price range because its what I can afford now. I know your giving me negative responses... that I wouldn't be able to afford it, but since foreclosure rate is super high now, I am hoping for someone to basically give it away to me .

Now by nice I don't mean Bronxville or the Pelham Manor mansions. By nice I mean low crime, quiet, non-ghetto. I don't want a neighborhood with mcdonalds in the same street as my house. I also mean Historical like.. nice old houses. I hate these modern beigey houses, but again that is a want, not a need.... So, it isn't necessary.

I want to buy now instead of renting because I would like my kids to have a much more stable enviornment to grow in. I am tired of my inconsiderate neighbors. Also, I want them to have the benefits of the things I had growing up, so please again I am asking for cities that are ok to live in, and I am not expecting my dream area. I am still in school, and my husband is still a rookie in the NYPD. Next year he won't be.

Also, because of his job we cannot leave NY, and we can only live in Rockland, Westchester, or Orange county. We are willing to move to Rockland, but his hours are so bad at work, I know the commute will be difficult for him. Thanks for everyones advise, and I will definately take those neighborhoods into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 PM

96 posts, read 251,000 times
Default Check out Greenburgh near White Plains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neni1026 View Post
I am trying to buy a house... My price range is 200,000-500,000. I know it isn't much, but do you know some places that are really nice to live. I am looking for 4+ bedrooms, 2 baths...quiet family neighborhood. My dream area is irvington, but noticed that it is too expensive to live there. Also, I doubt I can afford a house there.

My husband travels to manhattan daily, so the closer the better to the city. I traveled to mount vernon, and found beautiful neighborhoods in fleetwood; however, I couldn't stand how bad it was after driving a couple of blocks down. I thought I was in the south Bronx. Anyways, I have two kids, and would love a large family neighborhood. I also wish to live in a historical neighborhood, but I know that it might not be possible with my small budget. Please help! thanks
Also, you might want to search for properties in zip code 10603 and 10607, basically unincorporated Greenburgh near White Plains. You may be able to find some 4 bedroom properties that way, some will need TLC, but there are definitely properties available below $500K. Schools are not the greatest, but White Plains is very convenient for commuting to the city.

Also, taxes are very reasonable in those areas.

Finally, don't get discouraged, plenty of people find ways to "make it work" in Westchester (and NY as a whole) with relatively low salaries (for this area). I have a relative who lives in his 3BR in Yonkers with his wife and 4 kids on a $70K annual salary. Tight, but he finds a way. Good luck.

Last edited by New Yawker; 09-02-2010 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: added details on taxes.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 PM

Default ....

My father is a contractor by the way...so we are ok for fixer-uppers! I am also very handy. I can install floors, and well do everything except plumbing, and electrical. Which my father can do. My brother is also and electrician, and I have another brother, who is a plumber/super. soooo We are very handy. I would like to pay about 2500 a month including city taxes If this isn't possible, let me know. I am only doing research here, not signing contracts, so I take alll advise as positive criticism. Just no need to be nasty people. I may be dumb, when it comes down to buying houses, but if I wasn't would I be here asking?

thanks again!

Old 09-02-2010, 03:10 PM

96 posts, read 251,000 times
Quote:
My father is a contractor by the way...so we are ok for fixer-uppers! I am also very handy. I can install floors, and well do everything except plumbing, and electrical. Which my father can do. My brother is also and electrician, and I have another brother, who is a plumber/super. soooo We are very handy. I would like to pay about 2500 a month including city taxes If this isn't possible, let me know. I am only doing research here, not signing contracts, so I take alll advise as positive criticism. Just no need to be nasty people. I may be dumb, when it comes down to buying houses, but if I wasn't would I be here asking?

thanks again!

If you are handy (or have access to handy relatives), you have a number of options. In the areas I mentioned there are numerous 4 BR homes that need TLC. If you want, PM me and I can send you links to a couple of them. Like I said, don't get discouraged.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Thanks I will look into those neighborhoods. My husband makes about 70k, but next year he will make 90k without Overtime. I know we can afford it.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:52 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,744 times
Quote:
Thanks I will look into those neighborhoods. My husband makes about 70k, but next year he will make 90k without Overtime. I know we can afford it.
White Plains, Tarrytown, Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon are where you would get the most hits with your parameters close to NYC. Otherwise, you need to sacrifice commute by going further out. You also mentioned in your previous post that you can afford $2500 per month including tax. There are several moving parts when you say this and I wonder if you really thought about them. How much purchase price vs how much down?

Let's say you buy a $500K house. Let's say the property tax on it is $800 per month which I think is a good estimate for the above towns (or maybe this is too high but better to estimate higher on the expenses). So take a way the $800 tax from your $2500 budget and you have $1700 per month for mortgage plus utilities. Let's say your utilities are $300 per month which leaves you $1400 to cover the mortgage.

To have a mortgage of $1400 or less over 30 years, the amount borrowed cannot be more than $200,000... maybe a bit more. So, when you set your upper range at $500,000 did you think about the down payment that is required to make it work?

Like someone said, we don't know your finances, but on $90K-ish year salary, unless you are making a large down payment, home ownership (not co-op or condo) in Westchester County is not realistic, unless you buy something really crappy and/or something far away.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 PM

Default Good questions

We have 50k to put down. Also my 2500 does not include utilities. That will be seperate.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:42 PM

375 posts, read 1,576,744 times
Well, you should continue to look and get as much info as you can, but you are more in a co-op territory, not a house.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:47 PM

thanks I will definately discuss this with my husband. I truly appreciate the honest feedback. I realize that all i can possibly afford will most likely be in the 200-350k level....thanks everyone!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:10 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
You might want to also wait until his salary IS $90K. Banks will not qualify you nowadays on anything except the numbers in front of them. On a $70K salary, you will definitely be looking at the $300K territory, which just isn't possible in any of the lower Westchester areas.

If it means anything, real estate is not going up anytime soon, IMO. We are in for a long recovery and as rates go up, it will just put more pressure on housing prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County