Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:23 PM

71 posts, read 193,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
...Croton vs. Larchmont? A very interesting combination! Very, very different communities. Your train ride will certainly be much prettier and on a nicer train in Croton, if nothing else!
OK, we know they're completely different from our initial superficial investigation. Fill me in! Croton doesn't have anything else going for it but a nicer view on the train? Spill the beans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:51 PM

59 posts, read 178,275 times
Is it bad to live in Croton on Hudson because of the power plant? Is there an increased risk for cancer living in that community? We are considering relocating from Los Angeles, and that post scares me. We are planning to come in April to look around Westchester. Thanks for any opinions.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Funny, I just moved from LA myself a few months ago. I would guess it would be no different than living next to San Clemente. I have no idea about the health effects, it's just creepy to me. There are several groups trying to shut Indian Point down if you Google them, though (not sure why though, my realtor just pointed them out to me when we considered it at one point).

I have nothing bad to say about Croton, honestly, it's just completely different from Larchmont. Larchmont is more conservative, close-in, small lots, and the great majority of the people living there are ex- city dwellers and daily commuters, so they don't want to be that far from it. Croton is more liberal and outdoorsy, down-to-earth, and you definitely feel removed from the city. But it is much more affordable up there for sure. It's not a bad choice, really. I only joked because it was not one of the usual conflicts like Larchmont vs. Rye or Scarsdale. People in lower Westchester often shudder at the notion of living 'up there' (i.e. north of White Plains) while many people in northern Westchester correctly point out that if you are going to leave the city in the first place and deal with a daily commute, Southern Westchester just doesn't feel 'away from it' enough.

Last edited by jjinla; 10-15-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbrake View Post
Is it bad to live in Croton on Hudson because of the power plant? Is there an increased risk for cancer living in that community? We are considering relocating from Los Angeles, and that post scares me. We are planning to come in April to look around Westchester. Thanks for any opinions.
Croton is about 6 miles from Indian Point (measured in a straight as-the-wind-blows line on GoogleEarth). As opposed to 10 miles to Cold Spring or 12 miles to the downtown centers of Pleasantville, Mt. Kisco, and Chappaqua, (using the same measuring technique). So, the downtown centers of Pleasantville, Mt. Kisco, and Chappaqua are just ouside of the NRC's 10 mile radius zone ("where it is possible that people could be harmed by direct radiation exposure"), but I personally doubt that the radiation is going to know that it is supposed to stop at the 10 mile mark. (After the Chernobyl melt down, an 18-mile radius area was closed off to the public.) (18 miles of Indian Point includes all of northern Westchester, White Plains, and down to Dobbs Ferry on the Hudson.) All of Westchester is well within the NRC's 50-mile radius zone, "where radioactive materials could contaminate water supplies, food crops, and livestock."

Old 10-15-2010, 10:21 AM

LOL...you are forgetting, though, that in the event of a meltdown, you can choose to hightail it out of Westchester altogether if you are in the south. If you are in Croton, your biggest problem is not going to be whether to drink the water!

Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjinla View Post
LOL...you are forgetting, though, that in the event of a meltdown, you can choose to hightail it out of Westchester altogether if you are in the south. If you are in Croton, your biggest problem is not going to be whether to drink the water!
LOL indeed if you think you are going to "hightail it out of Westchester" with the entire population of the tri-state area in panic and fleeing. That 50-mile radius stretches all the way to New Haven. The fact is, that the best place to be will depend in large part on the wind and in which direction it is blowing.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:13 PM

I should have clarified...I wasn't laughing at the argument. The data was solid. I was laughing because you probably sent the OP and half of the potential newcomers to Long Island with that argument!

Still, I maintain that there are two types of people in this world. Someone that can sleep soundly next to a nuclear reactor, and one that cannot. Indian Point has had a few incidents of leakage and faulty alarms in the area, and it is unquestionably the most contentious nuclear facility in North America - specifically because of it's proximity to NYC. If there were to be an accident or attack, Croton would not be the best place to be, regardless of which way the wind were blowing.

Old 10-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Yes, but Long Island could be a total death trap if Indian Point melts and the wind is blowing south/southeast and everyone is trying to get off the island. My point is simply that I honestly don't think anywhere in the tri-state area can be considered to be "safe" if disaster strikes. But somehow I manage to sleep...

Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM

132 posts, read 515,006 times
We've got four kids and needed lots of room and really wanted to feel in the woods with loads of yard space. Also, we got a good feel for the community around Croton. Very welcoming, accepting people who didn't look at me sideways for breastfeeding a toddler or wanted to find organic local food etc. Dobbs Ferry was fine and people were nice enough but we just never really felt a part of the community. In part it could have been because our kids were in the Ardsley district so we felt a bit disjointed.

In any event, in the end we decided to focus the search up here. Couldn't be happier. Everyone is so great up here. We're on a fantastic block with lots of other families with kids etc. Absolutely worth the extra 20 min commuting. As a neighbor said today, it's coming home up here is like coming home to a vacation

Old 10-17-2010, 05:46 PM

71 posts, read 193,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclairch View Post
We've got four kids and needed lots of room and really wanted to feel in the woods with loads of yard space. Also, we got a good feel for the community around Croton. Very welcoming, accepting people who didn't look at me sideways for breastfeeding a toddler or wanted to find organic local food etc. Dobbs Ferry was fine and people were nice enough but we just never really felt a part of the community. In part it could have been because our kids were in the Ardsley district so we felt a bit disjointed.

In any event, in the end we decided to focus the search up here. Couldn't be happier. Everyone is so great up here. We're on a fantastic block with lots of other families with kids etc. Absolutely worth the extra 20 min commuting. As a neighbor said today, it's coming home up here is like coming home to a vacation
That's what we're looking for -- feeling like we've escaped the city and are coming home to a vacation.

Really liking the idea of the community, even though we have LOTS more "feeling out" to do up there...we will go back up and check out the family-friendliness of it some more. But, yes, we are freaked out by the idea of being so close to Indian Point (not nearly enough to send us to Long Island though, jjinla! ). Just gives our other option of Larchmont another check in the "plus" column.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County