Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 PM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times

Advertisements

that mag is a p.o.s, straight bull.

of course it's bias, we could go on and on about some of the ridiculous things they've printed in that magazine. Its a sad sac of you know what when it comes to journalism pertaining to the local area.

I'd say the best thing that you can do is actually visit the town/schools, meet the Parents/students, base your opinion off of that. I can honestly say that reading some of the posts in this forum about schools makes my stomach flip. If I had a dollar for every post I came across where someone espoused the same racial bias as this mag, my pockets would look pretty lopsided right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:31 AM

142 posts, read 362,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponytrekker View Post
Why Westchester magazine is ranking it low? I'd call it racism. So sad in this day and age.
I know it's everywhere, but we were hoping the closer to NY we got, the less racism we would find.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:23 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinonuptotheeastside View Post
I know it's everywhere, but we were hoping the closer to NY we got, the less racism we would find.
I think that in this region it's more classism (is there such a word?) than racism per se. What divides is education, sophistication and income. There are white guys out there talking trash with cocked Yankees caps and baggy pants down to their knees (Urban Dictionary: wigger). And there are black doctors in Rye that who talk, dress and act just like everybody else in Rye except they happen to be black. And that same black doctor's preppie Rye kids will look at the wigger kids with the same contempt as their white Rye pals.

Closer to home, I personally hate the morons who drive the super-loud, lowered, souped up Japanese cars with blacked out windows. They drive like idiots are a menace to civilization. It seems like most of the drivers are hispanic, though many are also black (and some are white too). Does that make me racist? No, I don't hate Hispanics. I just hate the guys driving like morons, regardless of race (and that includes rednecks driving pickups like fools).

Old 10-30-2010, 09:31 AM

506 posts, read 1,313,627 times
I don't think Westchester magazine is being racist, they are just using a very limited criteria for that ranking. Tarrytown is not the best school district in Westchester. It's definitely not the worst either. Although it has good resources, the district has a large number of Hispanic kids from recently arrived immigrant families. The simple fact is, a lot of those kids don't score that well on the standardized tests. The kids who are motivated and have involved parents will find that the school provides more than enough resources for them to thrive.

Tarrytown SD has a mix of people from very wealthy to very poor. Several of the "best" school districts in Westchester are almost entirely on the wealthy end of the spectrum and the kids are almost all white and Asian. Wealthy people usually are better educated than their peers, and make a point of making sure their kids get a good education. This isn't any different from any other place in the world. It's not a mystery, it's the way things are.

The "best" school districts are also going to be more expensive. Given that you've said you budgeted something like $1500 for rent in one of the many posts you've made on this subject, you're going to find that is going to constrain your search for places to live. $1500 a month to live in Westchester in one of the "best" school districts would be a tough thing to find. Even in Tarrytown you may have a tough time finding something decent for that much. Tarrytown is a nice town. I used to live there. I now live 5 minutes from it. My advice is to get off the computer, get on a plane and look around, walk around, meet some people, and visit the schools for yourself.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
My advice is to get off the computer, get on a plane and look around, walk around, meet some people, and visit the schools for yourself.
That's the best advice I've read here fro some time!

Old 10-30-2010, 07:09 PM

142 posts, read 362,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDNY View Post
I don't think Westchester magazine is being racist, they are just using a very limited criteria for that ranking. Tarrytown is not the best school district in Westchester. It's definitely not the worst either. Although it has good resources, the district has a large number of Hispanic kids from recently arrived immigrant families. The simple fact is, a lot of those kids don't score that well on the standardized tests. The kids who are motivated and have involved parents will find that the school provides more than enough resources for them to thrive.

Tarrytown SD has a mix of people from very wealthy to very poor. Several of the "best" school districts in Westchester are almost entirely on the wealthy end of the spectrum and the kids are almost all white and Asian. Wealthy people usually are better educated than their peers, and make a point of making sure their kids get a good education. This isn't any different from any other place in the world. It's not a mystery, it's the way things are.

The "best" school districts are also going to be more expensive. Given that you've said you budgeted something like $1500 for rent in one of the many posts you've made on this subject, you're going to find that is going to constrain your search for places to live. $1500 a month to live in Westchester in one of the "best" school districts would be a tough thing to find. Even in Tarrytown you may have a tough time finding something decent for that much. Tarrytown is a nice town. I used to live there. I now live 5 minutes from it. My advice is to get off the computer, get on a plane and look around, walk around, meet some people, and visit the schools for yourself.
I would love to get on a plane and check it out, and that is the plan, just wanted to definitely narrow it down a bit first.
That $1500 was in the beginning stages of talking about moving before I realized how much the hubs income would increase and before I really knew prices there, now I know better...thanks to the computer and you guys of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
View detailed profiles of: