Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 43,885 times

Advertisements

I have been living in a corporate apartment in White Plains for 6 months and feel it is a nice place to live, but now I am looking to buy a condo and the prices are very high. I like the Trump building but it is expensive. I can get a nicer condo brand new at Trump in New Rochelle for 100k less. Would this be a good investment or should I stick to White Plains.

I have looked at crime stats for New Rochelle and they really are not that much worse then White Plains, I know that the shopping is better in White Plains but it seems that there are a lot of new things being built in NR and could be a better investment as White Plains has hit it's peak. It does seem like the area around Trump in New Rochelle could be "seedy".

Is Trump New Rochelle a deal at 100K less or should I just pay more and stick to Trump White Plains???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
I would stick to White Plains. New Rochelle is a lot gritter (are those the apt towers in New Roc City) and White Plains is a million times more desirable. Go drive around downtown New Rochelle at night and you'll see what I mean

Old 09-29-2007, 01:48 PM

45 posts, read 261,557 times
i grew up in new rochelle and the downtown area of the city and its close environs have changed dramatically in the past 10 years. i do believe that they will continue to renovate that area and the neighboring seedy area. just look at what they did to that stretch from the throughway around the circle and into downtown. a good 20 years ago by eminent domain they took out several really bad blocks and built that circle there.

a problem downtown, besides the bar district there, is that there's just too much traffic for the roadways. i know they did a lot of work on them but they're simply too narrow for the volume that's passing over them.

although i only very rarely visit downtown new rochelle, it's too bad they put that housing there.

as for white plains, i agree that it's peaked. however, that doesn't mean there's anything really wrong with it. which ones are the trump?

Old 09-29-2007, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 43,885 times
It's the Trump Plaza in New Rochelle, new high rise across from new roc city at the train station. The construction is not complete there yet, they developer told me that they are closing new roc city and that Target and Khol's have signed leases to open stores there. He said that this would eliminate the kids that hang around at night. They're also putting in a Cheese Cake Factory and a New York Sports Club. I drove around for awhile and felt that going toward Larchmont seemed really nice but going the other direction was less desireable but that was only during the day. I am aware that the developer is trying to make a sell and maybe over promising. Almost everywhere town I have looked at buying in I hear the same thing, that "this area is coming back". I have just moved from Charlotte, NC and am not sure if I should trust that.
I also work in NYC and would be walking from the train station after dark. Is this safe for a single female?

Old 10-07-2007, 05:16 PM

14 posts, read 125,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysen View Post
It's the Trump Plaza in New Rochelle, new high rise across from new roc city at the train station. The construction is not complete there yet, they developer told me that they are closing new roc city and that Target and Khol's have signed leases to open stores there. He said that this would eliminate the kids that hang around at night. They're also putting in a Cheese Cake Factory and a New York Sports Club. I drove around for awhile and felt that going toward Larchmont seemed really nice but going the other direction was less desireable but that was only during the day. I am aware that the developer is trying to make a sell and maybe over promising. Almost everywhere town I have looked at buying in I hear the same thing, that "this area is coming back". I have just moved from Charlotte, NC and am not sure if I should trust that.
I also work in NYC and would be walking from the train station after dark. Is this safe for a single female?
Hi Alysen,

I too was considering White Plains vs New Rochelle on my move back to Westchester. I guess you can see by my username what my decision was.

My thought process: With regards to the Trump Buildings, the White Plains units are larger per square footage for each comparable unit. Also White Plains was less of a risk for us because much of the Renaissance of the city had taken place. With the upscale shopping of the Westchester Mall, Whole Foods Market, offices, and all the other development going on currently (The Ritz opens next month) - we thought that economically, socially and culturally White Plains was already well ahead of New Rochelle and was worth the premium in price. There is currently already a great nightlife in WP now!

So I think it depends on what you feel comfortable with. Are you looking for an established area, or can you live with an element of risk? For instance, with the tightening of the credit markets - suppose development all over begins to dry up? Also, will the economy hold up? Suppose some of these retailers decide to take a wait and see attitude towards New Rochelle and Yonkers (which is also going through major development near the waterfront).

What happens if the other development that is supposed to take place in New Rochelle doesn't happen? Or gets postponed indefinitely?

That was the thought process that we used in making our decision. I think both White Plains and New Rochelle are both great places to live. New Rochelle has the L.I. sound and all the benefits that go with that. The residential areas outside of the downtown area of both places are beautiful and I believe that the school systems are comparable.

So all things being equal on that front, looking specifically at the downtown areas, White Plains was the clear winner for us.

Also - talk to a few real estate brokers/agents in other towns (not WP or NR) and see what they have to say. They usually have a good handle on what would be the wisest move.

Your decision may end up being different from ours - but I will just tell you that we are very happy with our decision! We love being in WP!

Good luck to you!

Old 10-07-2007, 06:55 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
The New Rochelle Trump building has two distinct advantages:

1) From the NR building you pretty much fall out of bed and you're at the NR train station. The WP building has a fairly unpleasant walk (1/2 mile?) along Main Street to the WP station.

2) The NR building is located near an entrance to Interstate 95, which allows you to get into Manhattan pronto. From the WP building you would get on the slower Bronx River Parkway, which has several lights. I would estimate the drive from WP to Manhattan takes 15 minutes longer than from NR.

3) NR has an Amtrak station if you need to travel from Boston to Washington.

So if proximity and conveneience to Manhattan is your main priority and/or you need Amtrak, go with the NR building.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
The New Rochelle Trump building has two distinct advantages:

1) From the NR building you pretty much fall out of bed and you're at the NR train station. The WP building has a fairly unpleasant walk (1/2 mile?) along Main Street to the WP station.

2) The NR building is located near an entrance to Interstate 95, which allows you to get into Manhattan pronto. From the WP building you would get on the slower Bronx River Parkway, which has several lights. I would estimate the drive from WP to Manhattan takes 15 minutes longer than from NR.

3) NR has an Amtrak station if you need to travel from Boston to Washington.

So if proximity and conveneience to Manhattan is your main priority and/or you need Amtrak, go with the NR building.

Well I can't agree with you on those advantages. I work in Manhattan and walk to and from the WP train station daily. It takes me 9 minutes from my door to the platform. Not sure why you feel it's a "fairly unpleasant" walk. We consider it a great benefit to be so close to be able to walk to the station. The NR train station may be right around the corner from the NR building, but I consider it a wash --- it's still a 5 to 6 minute walk. And clearly the walk along Main Street in WP is a safer journey at this point. My wife often comes home on the train late and neither of us worry about her walk home.

And I when I drive into the city (for Knicks games), I would never take the Bronx River Parkway. From White Plains I can take the Sprain, Deegan or Saw Mill down the West Side. I can even do the Hutch to the Cross County or get on 95. I agree that NR is probably 15 minutes closer -- but when driving into the city - what matters mostly is the traffic patterns and the route you take. WP has more alternatives. But to be honest, since moving to WP - I have maybe driven into the city one time. Metro North is so convenient - and the Express train, which there are many - list the ride at 34 minutes usually gets us in Grand Central in under half an hour.

So I can't really say that I see the Manhattan commute as being more advantageous for NR as opposed to WP. It really comes down to the downtown areas in my view.

Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2007, 05:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,365,289 times
What are the prices on the luxury condos in White Plains and New Rochelle?

How much are the ones in the new Ritz Carlton in White Plains going for?

Old 10-08-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
What are the prices on the luxury condos in White Plains and New Rochelle?

How much are the ones in the new Ritz Carlton in White Plains going for?
I've seen different prices quoted in articles but these are close:

Trump Plaza New Rochelle: 500K - 1.7Mil
Residences at the Ritz Carlton (White Plains): 650K - 8.2Mil

Those two luxury condo units are for sale by the developer, Cappelli Enterprises.

Trump Tower White Plains are all mostly resale units by individual owners and/or investors. I've seen them listed from 650K - 2.4Mil.

Trump Plaza New Rochelle opened last week and owners began closing last Tuesday I think.

The Residences at the Ritz Carlton opens next month, around mid-November 2007.

Trump Tower White Plains opened in November 2005.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 108,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysen View Post
I have been living in a corporate apartment in White Plains for 6 months and feel it is a nice place to live, but now I am looking to buy a condo and the prices are very high. I like the Trump building but it is expensive. I can get a nicer condo brand new at Trump in New Rochelle for 100k less. Would this be a good investment or should I stick to White Plains.

I have looked at crime stats for New Rochelle and they really are not that much worse then White Plains, I know that the shopping is better in White Plains but it seems that there are a lot of new things being built in NR and could be a better investment as White Plains has hit it's peak. It does seem like the area around Trump in New Rochelle could be "seedy".

Is Trump New Rochelle a deal at 100K less or should I just pay more and stick to Trump White Plains???

I posted on this elsewhere (I'm in a similar situation). I've been looking at the new developments in downtown New Rochelle and comparing the crime stats to White Plains. One thing you should know is that New Rochelle is different from White Plains in that they both have downtowns but New Rochelle also has a HUGE expanse of peaceful very upscale single family homes far north of the downtown. This part of the city is obviously extremely low crime (think: Scarsdale) and this lowers the overall crime rate. The crime stats for NR as a whole, therefore, cannot be extrapolated to the downtown. Nor do they apply to the suburbs... they're a weighted average based upon population. My take is that NR might be comparable to White Plains (which is an urban area) but downtown White Plains (anecdotally and by this logic) is safer than downtown New Rochelle by leaps and bounds. Given this, I would prefer to locate in White Plains, but -- as you point out -- you can get the same for a lot cheaper in NR (because of this very issue, I believe, + shopping, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County