Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM

32 posts, read 126,521 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Westchester from the city and do not own cars but we'll need to buy 2 cars pretty fast. We are both tall and have 2 children (toddler and a newborn). I have no clue what to get and not much time to research... if you love your car I'd love to hear. We are not into luxury/high-end cars just need something practical but comfortable. We need space bc we are both tall. We are also interested in fuel savers. I saw a Toyota Sequoia the other day.. liked the looks but not sure if it's expensive or if it gets good mileage. Fuel prices are getting up there... I think we might lease instead of buying... thanks so much This forum is AAAA++++
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:40 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,637 times
Default Cars, cars, cars...

I'm looking myself (but for something family-capable).

The Honda CRV is directed at families (has a child-viewing mirror, easier to snap in child seats, ect). Great crash test ratings, ect. People who have them love them.

But...I'm tall myself & feel that many cars just don't feel the same as they look on papers....Honda CRV included...just feels small (maybe it's the newer model). Toyota's RAV4 felt a bit better in terms of size...better in engine...but I didn't like the trunk swinging open. "Edmunds" is a good website, get a consumers reports & most importantly...sit in them!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,667,293 times
I have a CRV because I wanted a smaller SUV. The CRV is very roomy to me (then again I've always had a sedan. I really love it, and the gas mileage is decent for a car of it's size. I suggest checking it out.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 AM

364 posts, read 1,979,384 times
Forget about the Sequoia. Those things suck gas like thirsty camels.

With gas prices at $4 right now, I would strongly suggest you buy a small Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla and push the front seats as far as you can so that you can fit.

If you have the $$$, I've test driven the new Camry Hybrid. It feld pretty roomy and I believe the MPG is in the upper 30's although I don't remember exactly.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:21 AM

32 posts, read 126,521 times
The CRV looked a little small from the picture... but it's always different once you are inside.. I'll put it on my list. Sounds like the Sequoia is out.. I love big cars but with current gas prices it just doesn't make sense. I'm sure we could fit in most cars pushing seats back but it's low ceiling and general cramped feeling that I don't like... also I'll have 2 kids in the back so the smaller cars might be tough... we are thinking of leasing... any good stories doing it online? sounds like an easy way to shop for best prices. I do most of my other shopping online anyways. tks

Old 05-14-2008, 09:32 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,595 times
Default if you are buying 2 cars

the crv and the odessey...........sorry but you must have a carivan trust me you won regret buying a carivan..........

Old 05-14-2008, 09:43 PM

3,665 posts, read 8,667,194 times
We have two minivans and a suv. Ford Windstar, Dodge Grand Caravan (with stow and go) and a Yukon. I like the minivans the best, especially when you have kids. There is so much room. My new van, the Dodge, is a really great vehicle, it gets good mileage, has good pick up on the freeway, has automatic side doors, the rear side windows roll down, the rear seats fold into the floor and the back bench flips backwards so when you open the back hatch you have a bench facing outside. Its great for watching sports or fireworks or anything you need an (outdoor) seat for.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:07 AM

77 posts, read 428,633 times
We checked out the CRV and RAV4 and found them to be way too small. My wife had always refused to cave in and buy a van, but after comparing the Toyota Sienna to some SUVs, we found it was just so much roomier and more convenient - not to mention MUCH cheaper. Also, it's a few thousand cheaper than the Odyssey. Definitely the best bargain when compared to other vehicles discussed above.

Dodge Caravan was, I believe, the worst-rated minivan (Consumer Reports). Sienna was #1, Odyssey, #2.

From Consumer Reports (Minivan):

The Sienna is our pick for the second year in a row. Its spacious, quiet, and refined interior is on par with some luxury sedans. And its V6 engine is powerful and fuel efficient. It is also the only minivan available with all-wheel drive. Price: $24,000 to $37,000. The Honda Odyssey, on the other hand, is more agile and, dare we say, fun to drive for a minivan.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 25,862 times
Honda Pilot

Old 05-15-2008, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,226 times
If you don't need a 7 seater, maybe Mazda 5?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County