Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2011, 06:51 PM

866 posts, read 2,484,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokonuku View Post
Other areas may be easier to live and raise a jewish family. People in Bronxville, Scardale and New Rochelle hate jews. Be advised. My family is jewish and we hear horrible stories. I've been through many hard times myself. People here hate jews. No matter if you keep to yourself. They are always observing you to find something to complain. Oh my! You don't wanna know what is to be jewish and live here.
Well that's just funny. People in Scarsdale hate Jews...? HA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:43 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,030,095 times
Quote:
Other areas may be easier to live and raise a jewish family. People in Bronxville, Scardale and New Rochelle hate jews. Be advised. My family is jewish and we hear horrible stories. I've been through many hard times myself. People here hate jews. No matter if you keep to yourself. They are always observing you to find something to complain. Oh my! You don't wanna know what is to be jewish and live here.
Your claim strikes me as very odd indeed. Half the people in northern New Rochelle (Wykagyl) are jewish and living there because there's an active jewish community. Ditto Scardsdale. It would be interesting to hear more of your experience. Perhaps the problem isn't simply being jewish?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,470,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tammy42 View Post
ps: take what you find on this site with a grain of salt, because there is a lot of opinion. And a lot of folks are 'experts' on places they have never lived in and declare them to be "xyz" when they have maybe had lunch there once or twice...
My advice - go visit places you like.
I don't think I've seen anyone on this board who has claimed to be an "expert" on anything, but then again, I'm not the most active member here. For the simple reason that I don't have first-hand knowledge of a lot of the topics people ask about here, such as which schools are best (I don't have kids) or what property taxes are in certain areas (I don't own a home) or what it's like to commute from such and such area to NYC (I don't commute into NYC), I refrain from responding to a lot of the posts here. But I think anyone who does respond does so based on their own personal experiences and observations as Westchester residents, in a genuine desire to help others.

One doesn't necessarily have to live in a particular area to have knowledge of it. You can learn a lot about an area just by visiting it repeatedly, or by knowing others who live or have lived there.

Different people are going to have different opinions on any given topic. It's best for one to use the information that they get here as a starting point in researching a particular area, and then as you said, go visit the place(s) one is most interested in and form your own opinion of it.

Incidentally, I've lived in different locations in Westchester for a total of over 48 years. How long have you been living here?

Quote:
Bronxville is very WASPish, I'll give you that. But if people in Scarsdale hate Jews, why do so many people of the Jewish faith choose to live there?

To the OP, I don't think anyone has mentioned Armonk yet. Based on my own observations, even though I do not reside in Armonk and never have, it seems that a lot of my customers who do live in Armonk are Jewish. I know there is a temple at the intersection of Route 22 and Banksville Road in Armonk.

Last edited by manyroads; 07-31-2011 at 10:02 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM

414 posts, read 302,906 times
Quote:
what are you talking about? there is a very large jewish community in scarsdale, you must be kidding.

i don;t know who you are hanging around, but the whole area seems pretty accepting to me. maybe you are angering people with your own behavior.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Your evidence that there are people that hate Jews in various Westchester cities and villages is from "horrible stories"?

Oh, my!

(they are called 'stories' for a reason)

Old 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM

141 posts, read 353,537 times
The Fleetwood section of Mt. Vernon has 2 synagogues - Fleetwood Synagogue (in the village of Fleetwood) is modern Orthodox and Sinai Free Synagogue by the high school/Bronxville border is Reform. I do not know how many Jewish families live in either area, but I worked down the block from Fleetwood Synagogue for years and there was always a sizable group of Jewish families coming up from the Metro North station to attend service there.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 PM

374 posts, read 1,058,579 times
Quote:
New Rochelle is very racist! Better know than regret. I'm jewish myself. It's a horrible place for jewish people. Be advised before it's too late.
I find this hard to believe as New Rochelle is one of the most diverse areas in Westchester. Westchester overall is pretty tolerant. Can you give some examples of what you experienced? And who exactly is being racist, whites or the hispanics?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Sounds like everyone's "feeding the troll". Bronxville is the only place in his/her complaint I'd agree with.....

Old 08-10-2011, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 9,340 times
I am Jewish and live in New Rochelle. I have never encountered any sort of racism. It is a very diverse city and has many religious options (orthodox, conservative, reform). I am very curious about what the person who claims New Rochelle is racist has experienced. Perhaps he or she is the racist and is therefore trying to convince you not to move here?
This really is a lovely place to live. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County