Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 AM

25 posts, read 32,639 times

Advertisements

We are making a move and are looking for the right community for our family. Doing some scouting trips to Denver and possibly Philly but am really interested in Larchmont as well. We lived in NYC for years and we currently live in Atlanta but just haven't been happy. Aside from the drastic change in housing prices, taxes, overall cost of living (we understand what we'd be getting compared to what we have in Atlanta), we are most concerned about finding a true sense of community. Is there a 'Keeping up with the Joneses' mentality, and competitiveness in Larchmont? Is it all nannies during the day? We both work from home and will be active in the community but want to know that people are out in front as opposed to stuck in the back, on weekends, etc. I know the schools are fantastic which will be a nice change from our current situation, but would love thoughts on the community, especially from those with kids (8-10)...Do they ride bikes to each other's homes? Does Halloween get a rave review? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 09:31 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,460,547 times
I've lived in many places and have to say I do love Larchmont. Go to the village or shopping and you will always see people you know. However, there are more nannies than SAHMs in most parks I see...more than I ever saw elsewhere. You'll see more of the keeping up with the Jones' in the Manor and among the Yacht Club set. It does definitely exist, no doubt about that but if you are like me you avoid those people and cling to the countless other people that laugh at them.

Halloween is great. We have a Rag a Muffin parade downtown, lots of trick or treating in the village, etc. You see a lot of people on bikes, including older ones. Still, we are a competitive NYC suburb so you'll find many kids have a ton of planned activities and sports/clubs/etc. Not as much down time as less affluent areas.

We once looked in Denver (specifically Loisville) and I have to say that if I wanted a more normal lifestyle I would have picked that over Larchmont in a heartbeat. People are wonderful here, but 'anytown USA' it is not. I also would have moved to Naperville, IL if the cold didn't bother me so much!

Old 08-30-2012, 12:02 PM

Thanks, jjinla. We'll have to put it on our list to come and visit. Sounds like a really cool place! And just read your other post! Maybe we could rent your house (where is it?)

Old 08-30-2012, 12:36 PM

Ha...yes, I hope someone enjoys our renovations since I never got to! We're in the Pinebrook section, but we're just selling it outright (assuming we go...tomorrow is decision time!)

Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 AM

581 posts, read 1,304,022 times
Denver, Philly, or Larchmont? Sounds desperate. Why are you so unhappy?
Address inner issues before expecting to find happiness by changing locations.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM

Don't psychoanalyze me....unnecessary and we have plenty of good reasons for wanting to move. Nothing wrong with scouting cities looking for the right fit. No need for this kind of comment on these usually helpful boards.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:47 AM

Consider the source and don't be deterred. Just be glad you didn't say you were single and wanted to move here.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,855 times
JJ what is the verdict and are you moving out of NY? Is my CA compatriot moving back west?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM

Ha, it looks like it, but hubby is going to go ahead and I'll finish out the school year selling the house, closing down, etc. 3 kids + 3 moves in 3 years. Good times!

No, LA, though...that book is closed! WA this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County