Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 07:06 PM

59 posts, read 178,169 times

Advertisements

Hello. We recently relocated to Westchester County, and I've heard that a train ride up to Cold Spring is a fun day trip during the fall. Any suggestions on how to spend the day there with 2 kids ages 3 and 9? Where to eat, fun things to do, ect? Any place for afternoon tea? What stop do we get off? Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 02:57 PM

8 posts, read 12,450 times
While I cannot speak to enjoying Cold Spring with children [as I do not have any], I grew up in nearby Southern Dutchess county [and still have family in the area] and, as a consequence, have taken many trips there, including a few recent ones. Though my knowledge is not extensive, nor would I try to pretend it to be, perhaps I can offer a few pointers.

First, if you are going to take the train to Cold Spring, you would ride Metro North's Hudson Line [on a northbound/to Poughkeepsie train] and get off at the Cold Spring station. From there, you will be in walking distance (about 5-10 minutes, depending on where you are headed) to the village center, ie Main Street. Alternately, you could take a taxi from the train station and be there in a couple of minutes. Here is a link to the weekday Hudson Line timetable and here is a link to the weekend/holiday timetable. And here are Google Maps directions from the train station to the beginning of Main Street.

Main Street is the center of Cold Spring and a significant part of what attracts visitors to the village. It is lined with quaint, historic buildings and a variety of restaurants, antique stores and other interesting, little shops. Much of the fun of visiting Cold Spring is simply walking through Main Street, exploring the various stores. Though I have no specific recommendations, you will have no trouble finding a place to stop and get lunch or a cup of afternoon tea; there will, in fact, be many places for you to choose from.

In that same area, you are also given access to some beautiful Hudson River views, including grassy areas with benches to relax on. If I remember correctly, there are also a few restaurants, with one being very close to the actual river, with said views, as well.

If you are coming up on a weekend (or Friday) between May and December, your family may also enjoy taking a ride on the Cold Spring Trolley to The Foundry Museum or other location, which I have heard can provide a relaxing way to see Cold Spring and the surrounding area. The one catch is that it only runs every couple of hours, so you should be confident that you will enjoy spending that time at your destination while waiting for the return trolley. Here is a link to the trolley schedule; there is a phone number to call on that page if you have any further questions.

Good luck!

Old 10-01-2012, 06:44 PM

59 posts, read 178,169 times
Thank-you. I am oping to go up in the next few weeks to enjoy peak folliage.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:24 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,628 times
Good advice. I usually drive there so I couldn't give train info..though now I do remember that the train station was really close.

But walking around the town really is the fun. Cute little stores and shops, historic buildings, beautiful views of the Hudson. You can see West Point across the river. Lots of places to eat, I've picked a new one every time I've been there. There are also pizza places and ice cream shops for the kids.

I as well remember there being at least one restaurant with balcony views right by the river as well. Not sure about their kid-friendliness.

Also, the wind off the river can be chilly even on a bright sunny fall day so I would bring a windbreaker or the like for the kids.

-Thanks Starlightembers for the info on the trolley! I didn't know about that.

Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
When is the best time to see the fall foliage there?

Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When is the best time to see the fall foliage there?
the time is now, not the next few weeks. Drive, don't take the train, drive is way nicer.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
the time is now, not the next few weeks. Drive, don't take the train, drive is way nicer.
Not everyone (especially NYC residents) has access to a car.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Not everyone (especially NYC residents) has access to a car.
True, but Zipcars work. You'll miss a lot on the train.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
True, but Zipcars work. You'll miss a lot on the train.
Well as someone who hasn't driven in over 10 years or more (and never had much driving experience before), driving isn't an option for me personally. But also there are many people from NYC who simply don't have a driver's license.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 43,008 times
Quote:
Well as someone who hasn't driven in over 10 years or more (and never had much driving experience before), driving isn't an option for me personally. But also there are many people from NYC who simply don't have a driver's license.
I agree! In any case, the train ride can be fun: nice views of the river and the towns you pass by. And you see plenty from the hiking trails in and around Cold Spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County