Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM

4 posts, read 9,393 times

Advertisements

Hello, in a couple of months I'll move to the US to work for an italian company in the Bronx, exactly here:
http://www.hutchmetrocenter.com/map.html
It's not far from Calvary Hospital and Tremont Avenue.

I am Italian and I lived in the US (in Stamford CT) in the past for a few years and I liked that city but I worked in Norwalk. As this new job is in the Bronx and I don't like to spend more than 40 min to go to the office by car I would like to live close to the office and at the same time not too far from NYC so my ideas are:
Pelham Bay (which should also have a good italian community even if this is not necessary for me as I like to know people from everywhere)
New Rochelle
Bronx

My budget is approx $1200-1500 for an apt with a bedroom and a living room where I can put a sofabed when 1-2 friends or relatives come and visit me. The budget should include the rent and all the bills. I will buy a car as I need it and I like to visit new cities on the weekends. So a good place where parking the car is not a problem would be ideal.
I don't like to drive around a building for hours before I find a spot for my car, like it happens in crowded cities like Rome...If I can have my parking space that would be perfect.
I am single, 36 y/o, not a party animal, I like drinking a beer in a pub now and then, I like live music or going to rock concerts but mainly on the weekend in NYC so I would tipically work Mon-Fri and relax at home in the evening and go to NYC with friends on the weekend. So the place where I live doesn't need to be full of night live as for that I go to NYC on the weekend. As long as it's safe, quiet and with a good number of stores I am ok.

What can you suggest? Any other good and safe areas near the Bronx?

THANK YOU

Last edited by Lisanzio; 03-27-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:57 AM

770 posts, read 1,131,143 times
I would recommend Woodlawn. It is quiet, safe and there are lot's of Italians just north in Yonkers. Cool bar scenes, it's almost like a small town in a sense. A car would be very handy. Short drive, however, to where you will be working. Good luck in advance! Half of my extended family came from Naples. Are you from that part of Italy?

Old 03-27-2013, 03:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Morris Park is basically walking distance or a short bus ride away from there, and has a lot of Italians (Italian-Americans anyway). You could try looking there.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,393 times
Default More info

Thank you guys. I don't need to live necessarily in an Italian-american area. As long as the area is quiet, with no crime (or almost no crime) I am fine. I would also be close to a subway so If I go to NYC and I stay there later than 2am I will have no problems coming back home.
(When I lived in CT, whenever I went to NYC I had to be careful and go back home early. I could only take the Metro North which closes around 2am and reopens around 5am and I wouldn't like this type of situation again).

Some other people adviced Williamsburg or Riverdale. I think Riverdale is quite nice but I have never been there. Do you know these areas?
Personally I think I may like to live close to Pelham Bay (is the park nice there?) but I am open to other suggestions.

Do you think Astoria in Queens could be a nice area for me? Is it too far from where I will work? If I go by car I need to pay the toll for the bridge, is it correct?

@ Webster Ave Guy I am from the South of Italy, not far from Napoli.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:54 PM

7 posts, read 11,926 times
Bronx:
Pelham Bay
Morris Park
Woodlawn

best parts of the Bronx on the East side

Or I recommend

Westchester:
Pelham
Mamaroneck
Larchemont
New Rochelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County