Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,138 times

Advertisements

Hi we are interested in buying a house that has an underground oil tank that is in use. The current owner has proguard on the tank and a home owner's insurance . Is it worthwhile to close on the house, take ownership, get proguard & insurance transfered to our names and then pull the underground tank and replace it with aboveground tank when we are the owners of the house?

Everyone we talk to is suggesting that we make seller replace underground tank with above ground tank before contract and closing. This is the safest option. But the problem is in case there is contamination we could potentially keep waiting for months.

Rather than the indefinite wait on seller's time, we are thinking we may be better dealing with the cleanup on our time. Bad idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:11 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Very bad idea! If there is any contamination, you want it while they have title to the house...not you.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
As long as the tank is less than 20 years old and is in use, you have nothing to worry about and there's no reason to remove it. Underground tanks have been safe since the 1980s and are still very standard in most of Westchester, including in new construction. The rules for what materials were used in tanks changed in the 80s and the risk of leaks became minimal. Old unused tanks pose a huge risk, but newer in-use ones don't at all. Check out the state DEP site, which has info on this.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM

297 posts, read 729,756 times
I thought they werent up to code any longer?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:02 PM

3 posts, read 8,138 times
thanks folks. unfortunately tank is way older than 20 years. and from what reading i have done here and elsewhere, i'm pretty sure it has leaked.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:01 PM

186 posts, read 471,016 times
If the tank has been professionally inspected and the surrounding soil tested, and it is deemed "failed" it will be automatically registered as a "failed" tank with the DEC. All elements will need to be retested/new installation and deemed "cleared" before the DEC releases the tarnished mark on the property.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:54 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
It's leaked in the past? Run!

Even if you get it cleaned up, some subsequent buyer can still come back and sue later on. My uncle has been in litigation for years over a house he sold with a supposed clean bill after a tank leak.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,192,835 times
If its older than 20 years and/or has leaked, I'd certainly make the owners deal with it before purchasing it--and I'd probably not get involved with it all.

Americansman, no underground tanks are totally up to code and very much standard practice. We put ours in and since we're in the Watershed the DEP observed and certified the entire process.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:50 AM

297 posts, read 729,756 times
When we sold my dads house we had to install a new one in the cellar. His house was built in 1953 and the in ground tank was original.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:38 AM

454 posts, read 763,863 times
I just dealt with this problem.

The tank does not have to be pulled out. They can treat it by emptying the tank, filling it with a special foam, and call it "abandoned in place." The company gives you the paperwork to show that it's been done according to the environmental regs. It cost me $2500. Then I just set up a new tank in the basement.

If there was contamination, my homeowner's would cover it.

Maybe you can split the cost of tank treatment with the homeowner while they still have their insurance.

The company that treated the tank was called Lauzon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County