Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2013, 01:42 PM

6 posts, read 15,915 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I currently live in Ithaca, NY, and my partner and I will be moving to the Farfield/Westerchester county area soon. My partner will be working Greenwich, CT. We've both grown accustomed to many businesses using enviromentally-friendly and sustainable practices like composting and recycling, using repurposed materials, etc. With that in mind, we'd like to move to a community that similarly supports these things. What towns seem the most environmentally friendly? Are there restaurants that compost, use corn-based take-out containers, or serve local and organic produce? What towns seem to support green energy the most like having electric vehicle chargers, being the most bike-friendly, or using grey water systems in commercial buildings?

We'd also be interested in being part of a CSA, and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions about which ones to join? Is there a town where it would be most convenient to live if being a part of a CSA?

Thank you for any help or observations you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 01:49 PM

454 posts, read 764,592 times
You must understand that Ithaca is a world in itself, and in leaving I doubt if you will find any city that is as adamantly green. All towns practice some of what you mentioned, and Westchester residents are educated and aware of environmentally-friendly practices. But, no, you won't find the fervor in Westchester or anyplace else that can compare to Ithaca.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,195,470 times
I agree with roskybosky that you won't find an equivalent to Ithaca around here. Many towns have taken measures to be greener, including some you mentioned plus such things as purchasing smart cars, installing solar panels on town buildings, and passing ordinances controlling tree cutting. In northern Westchester, a big measure of a town's 'greenness' is it's commitment to purchasing open land and protecting it from development.

Throughout upper Westchester there is a strong strain of locovorianism and a big farm-to-table movement. Many restaurants announce the fact that they get their meat and produce from local farms--and the Peekskill brewery gets its hops locally. In addition to the many farmer's markets, there are many local farms that sell their produce. Two good CSA's are at Hilltop Hanover Farm in Yorktown Heights, where you can also pick your own in the fields, and Hemlock Hill Farm in Cortlandt, which sells meat, poultry, and cheeses year-round (and which supplies some local restaurants):

Hilltop Hanover Farm | Farm and Environmental Center
Hemlock Hill Farm | Fresh Food Provider | Serving Elmsford, Westchester NY

In season, Meadows Market in Yorktown Heights sells produce from its own farm as well as other local farms: The Meadows Farm

A great place for getting info on local green things, as well as great classes and camps for kids, is Teatown Lake Reservation:Teatown Lake Reservation

There also great organizations like the Westchester Land Trust that are very active in protecting the local environment.

Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM

293 posts, read 887,204 times
You can also get dairy deliveries from local farms. My sisters both love their service, I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but you can pm me if you want and I'll check with them.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM

6 posts, read 15,915 times
Thank you for the informative responses. I appreciate the CSA recommendations!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM

173 posts, read 352,331 times
We currently live in Fairfield, CT, and are part of a pretty terrific CSA (Stoneledge Farm). FF is getting more and more "green" in various ways, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County