Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 07:40 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,452,060 times

Advertisements

I have just posted a similar thred in the New York City forum but I know that in Westchester there are a lot of people working in NYC so that's why this thread is here too.
I wonder if anybody could help us with this dilemma. We are a family with 3 children (ages between 1 and 12). My husband has the possibility to choose between a job in London (35.000 British £) or one in Manhattan (95K). In both case we would live in a town outside the big city and the children will be going to State schools.
We have been living for 10 years in England but we have never lived in the States.
I wonder if anybody has had experience of living in both Countries and can offer his/her opinion.
Which of the two places is best to raise the children? Which nation is still holding on a few values? Which one of the two is the most secular? Which school system is best? Which country offer a better quality of family life? Which one can offer better opportunities to the children?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 04:49 AM

2 posts, read 12,779 times
I realise I am posting this reply extremely late, and that you have almost definitely made your decision in regard to your post. Nevertheless, I shall post this reply should it come to help others facing a similar dilemma to the one you faced.

I am a student having lived for extended periods of time in both the USA and the UK. As such, I am aware of the various pros and cons associated with living in New York and London. Firstly, with regards to your salary in the UK taxes are generally higher (eg income tax.), however the tax-finded benefits provided by the state in the UK compared to those provided by the state in the US far outweigh this. Though you may face higher taxes in the UK you do, as I'm sure you're aware, enjoy things such as free healthcare etc. that will not be found in the US. For example when living in the US, my family- a family of two adults and four children- had to pay approx. $600 per month for health insurance alone. Additionally, you may want to take into account what each government generally spends its tax revenure on. For example, the US spends approx. 40% of citizens taxes on the military alone, encouraging the argument that those who may rely more on state benfits suffer more in the name of defence. You may or may not necessarily agree with this.

In response to your more pressing questions, there are obviously pros and cons to living in both New York and London:

1. Which country offer a better quality of family life?
In short, my opinion is that the UK offers a better quality of life overall. There is a greater degree of social equality not found in the US. In the US, there are more wealthy people than in the UK, however, there are also a lot more impoverished people than in the UK. Poverty is much more widespread in the US. However, living in a town outside New York city, I doubt you will encounter firsthand any poverty as most NYC suburbs are fairly well-to-do areas. In regards to quality of family life I think it very much depends on where you live. As two very large cities, neither central NYC or central London are the best places to raise a family. However , both cities are surrounded by very nice, respectable communities not too far from the cities themselves. My suggestion would be to find some lpaces you may want to live in, visit them, look up some statistics, and develop your own opinion.

2. Which one of the two is the most secular?
Statistically more invdividuals are actively religious than in the UK. However, the US government may be seen as more secular as it makes a point of not mixing religion with politics. The UK goverment, though also secular to an extent, could be seen as more religious. For example the religious Lords in the House of Lords are all Church of England, as is the Head of State (the Queen). However, both countries offer freedom of expression, and a lot of it comes down to whether or not you and your family are religious, and if so, whether you are able to find a religious community close to where you may be living that is able to suit your needs.

3. Which nation is still holding on a few values?#
This is a very broad question. In terms of the governments of the two countries, both posses nuclear arms and both are participating in the war in Iraq. I think these things speak for themselves. In terms of the people, again it largely depends, for both countries, on where you live. For example, an inner city environment will most likely be rough with high crime etc. whereas an upper middle-class suburb will be much more value-oriented. It could also depend on which parties may be in power at any one time. For example, in the UK, the Conservatives (who very much look poised to become the next party in power) are strong on social justice, community service for young offenders etc.

4. Which school system is best?
Recently the USA has been ranked as having the worst state education system out of all modern, democratic, and industrialised nationsd in the world. I apologise for not being able to provide the link to this fact, but I'm sure that with a little research it can be found. In both the US and the UK the quality of state schools your children may end up in can very much depend in what catchment area you end up living in. I strongly advice that before settling anywhere, you make sure, for your children's sake, that the local state school/s are of an acceptable standard. However, in my opinion, there are more good quality state schools in the UK than in the USA. When growing up in the USA for example, my family ended up havindg to pay $12,000 per year to send me to a private school due to the poor quality of my local state/public school.

5. Which one can offer better opportunities to the children?
There are more state run or provided programs it seems, in place in the UK aimed at benefitting children than in the US. For example, in thev UK, programs like EMA provide learning funds (in the form of money) to students who are eligible for it- and this is not only people in extreme situations. You would be surprised at how many people are eligible. In addition there are organisations n the UK such as the navy sea scouts (similar, I'm sure, to the US' boy and girl scouts) which can provide training in many values and skills. However, both countries have opprtunities for children in terms of recreation in the form of YMCA's and leisure centres. Finally, if your children end up going to University in the US, you will likely end up footing enormous bills, whereas in the UK the current annual fee for University education is £6000, which, believe me, is far less than you will be expected to pay for further education in the US.

5. Which of the two places is best to raise the children?
You may want to formulate your own opinion in regard to this question based on my replies to your previous questions:

Which nation is still holding on a few values? Which one of the two is the most secular? Which school system is best? Which country offer a better quality of family life? Which one can offer better opportunities to the children?

However, in short, my own personal opinion is that the UK is the better country in which to raise children for a number of reasons too extensive to include in this already veery extensive reply.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,659 times
I have made a few corrections to this post

I realize I am posting this reply extremely late, and that you have almost definitely made your decision in regard to your post. Nevertheless, I shall post this reply should it come to help others facing a similar dilemma to the one you faced.

I am a student having lived for extended periods of time in both the USA and the UK. As such, I am aware of the various pros and cons associated with living in New York and London. Firstly, with regards to your salary in the UK taxes are generally higher (eg income tax.), however the tax-funded benefits provided by the state in the UK compared to those provided by the state in the US far outweigh this. Though you may face higher taxes in the UK you do, as I'm sure you're aware, enjoy things such as free healthcare etc. that will not be found in the US. For example when living in the US, my family- a family of two adults and four children- had to pay approx. $600 per month for health insurance alone. Additionally, you may want to take into account what each government generally spends its tax revenue on. For example, the US spends approx. 40% of citizens taxes on the military alone, encouraging the argument that those who may rely more on state benefits suffer more in the name of defense. You may or may not necessarily agree with this.

In response to your more pressing questions, there are obviously pros and cons to living in both New York and London:

1. Which country offer a better quality of family life?
In short, my opinion is that the UK offers a better quality of life overall. There is a greater degree of social equality not found in the US. In the US, there are more wealthy people than in the UK, however, there are also a lot more impoverished people than in the UK. Poverty is much more widespread in the US. However, living in a town outside New York city, I doubt you will encounter firsthand any poverty as most NYC suburbs are fairly well-to-do areas. In regards to quality of family life I think it very much depends on where you live. As two very large cities, neither central NYC or central London are the best places to raise a family. However , both cities are surrounded by very nice, respectable communities not too far from the cities themselves. My suggestion would be to find some places you may want to live in, visit them, look up some statistics, and develop your own opinion.

2. Which one of the two is the most secular?
Statistically more individuals are actively religious than in the UK. However, the US government may be seen as more secular as it makes a point of not mixing religion with politics. The UK government, though also secular to an extent, could be seen as more religious. For example the religious Lords in the House of Lords are all Church of England, as is the Head of State (the Queen). However, both countries offer freedom of expression, and a lot of it comes down to whether or not you and your family are religious, and if so, whether you are able to find a religious community close to where you may be living that is able to suit your needs.

3. Which nation is still holding on a few values?#
This is a very broad question. In terms of the governments of the two countries, both posses nuclear arms and both are participating in the war in Iraq. I think these things speak for themselves. In terms of the people, again it largely depends, for both countries, on where you live. For example, an inner city environment will most likely be rough with high crime etc. whereas an upper middle-class suburb will be much more value-oriented. It could also depend on which parties may be in power at any one time. For example, in the UK, the Conservatives (who very much look poised to become the next party in power) are strong on social justice, community service for young offenders etc.

4. Which school system is best?
Recently the USA has been ranked as having the worst state education system out of all modern, democratic, and industrialized nations in the world. I apologize for not being able to provide the link to this fact, but I'm sure that with a little research it can be found. In both the US and the UK the quality of state schools your children may end up in can very much depend in what catchment area you end up living in. I strongly advice that before settling anywhere, you make sure, for your children's sake, that the local state school/s are of an acceptable standard. However, in my opinion, there are more good quality state schools in the UK than in the USA. When growing up in the USA for example, my family ended up having to pay $12,000 per year to send me to a private school due to the poor quality of my local state/public school.

5. Which one can offer better opportunities to the children?
There are more state run or provided programs it seems, in place in the UK aimed at benefiting children than in the US. For example, in the UK, programs like EMA provide learning funds (in the form of money) to students who are eligible for it- and this is not only people in extreme situations. You would be surprised at how many people are eligible. In addition there are organisations n the UK such as the navy sea scouts (similar, I'm sure, to the US' boy and girl scouts) which can provide training in many values and skills. However, both countries have opportunities for children in terms of recreation in the form of YMCA's and leisure centers. Finally, if your children end up going to University in the US, you will likely end up footing enormous bills, whereas in the UK the current annual fee for University education is £6000, which, believe me, is far less than you will be expected to pay for further education in the US.

5. Which of the two places is best to raise the children?
You may want to formulate your own opinion in regard to this question based on my replies to your previous questions:

Which nation is still holding on a few values? Which one of the two is the most secular? Which school system is best? Which country offer a better quality of family life? Which one can offer better opportunities to the children?

However, in short, my own personal opinion is that the UK is the better country in which to raise children for a number of reasons too extensive to include in this already veery extensive reply.

I hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County