Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:26 AM

9 posts, read 132,792 times

Advertisements

I'd be grateful if anyone could comment on Mamaroneck in terms of the village and people. Are Rye and Larchmont so much "better" than Mamaroneck and Harrison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:51 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
You could write a book on this question. Could you be more specific with your concerns?

Old 11-08-2007, 04:49 AM

Thanks for replying Rubygreta! I tried to post a more detailed thread a few days ago and got no responses. Here goes: We are planning to move from Norway to Westchester in April 2008 (3-year expat move). We have 2 boys aged 18 months and 4 years and we are looking for a good day care center for both. I see that several people recommend Rye and Larchmont as nice places to live, but Mamroneck is hardly ever mentioned. However, there are lots more child care facilities (esp for infants/toddlers) in Mamaroneck than Rye or Larchmont. I'd be grateful if anyone could comment on Mamroneck in terms of the village and people, and especially any experiences or knowledge of day care, elementary schools, and parking at the train station (I will be catching the train to Grand Central). We are looking at renting a house. Harrison is not mentioned very often either. I was wondering why there are so many mentions of Rye and Larchmont but hardly ever Mamaroneck??

Old 11-10-2007, 08:36 AM

22 posts, read 330,059 times
we've been looking into the same area- i found mamareneck to be a bit trashy. not such a nice walking town. very business oriented. larchmont and rye have more of a small town feel to them.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM

185 posts, read 422,756 times
Hey all of you from Mamaroneck - speak up in defense of your town!!! It is sad about Mamaroneck and Harrison - 2 wealthy towns that are the "rug" for pristine neighboring towns to sweep their dirt under! Here's the deal - First lets talk Mamaroneck. There is the town of Mam'k and village of Mam'k - separate police departments. Mam'k is right up against(and runs right into) Larchmont. Larchmont and Mam'k share a HIGH SCHOOL - so believe me, those that think Larchmont is "all that" are still closely intertwined with Mamaroneck. Mamaroneck downtown has a larger hispanic population(and its share of illegal workers) the downtown area reflects that in some ways. However, Mamaroneck is also the P.O. to exclusive boat clubs, country clubs, mansions, etc. Many of the rich live in Mamaroneck, do business in Mamaroneck and "walk & shop" in Larchmont - minutes away. If you live in Harrison or Larchmont and want daycare in Mamaroneck, you will be close enough to take advantage of it by car - within minutes. All are on an easily commutable train line to NYC. Now, for Harrison - and this always annoyed me because I grew up there. Harrison is SOOOO RICH as a town - more than Larchmont or Rye as Westchester country club, Purchase, all are within this town. Many mansions have a RyeP.O., but Harrison schools. Unfortunately, the downtown area was never supported or layed out well. Once again, the rich live in Harrison, and shop in Rye. They build Mega mansions in Harrison as the taxes are better, but they live a separate life from the "working class"part of the town. So DO NOT worry about renting a house in Harrison - you are in a safe, expensive area accessable to NYC AND pristine shopping. I disagree about Rye having a small town feel today - All the mom&pop stores that used to exist 10 years ago are gone! The downtown area has at least 6 banks and a spattering of expensive restaurants - money and pricey food!

Old 11-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Harrison is a weird town. Southeast of Interstate 95 the area looks like a working-class neighborhood (with high prices). The vast majority of the residents are Italian-Americans. The typical property is a 1-family or 2-family house on a 50 x 100 lot. The downtown is a mish-mosh that has some nice stores and restaurants, and some unattractive buildings. It is definitely not a "walk around" downtown.

Northwest of Interstate 95 are the wealthiest neighborhoods in Westchester, including the area with the Purchase mailing address. Everything is $1,000,000 and up.

Finally, there is a section near the City of White Plains which is another Italian-American neighborhood that is similar to the first neighborhood I mentioned.

If you want to rent a house for a reasonable price, you would probably end up in the first neighborhood. Although its appearance is modest, it is 100% safe, it's near the train station and the schools are fine.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Thank you very much for input! Very useful when you sit on the other side of the world trying to find a place to live for the next three years. We will visit the area end November and look forward to seeing these places we have heard about.
Kriise

Old 11-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Default any experience with childrens' day care?

I would be gratefulif nyone could comment on experiences with day care in Mamaroneck/Rye/Harrison/Larchmont (18months and 4 years).

Old 11-27-2007, 12:34 PM

Any more comments about Mamaroneck?

Old 11-27-2007, 02:33 PM

Mamaroneck has some extraordinarily rich areas, lots of middle class areas and some fairly poor areas. It also has an ugly industrial area.

Mamaroneck is split between two school districts - Mamaroneck and Rye Neck.

The Mamaroneck School District contains two elementary schools - Mamaroneck Avenue and Central. The Mamaroneck Avenue School has a very large immigrant Hispanic population. I have never heard of any problems. But you have to decide if that's the enviornment you want for your children (there are advantages and disadvantages, of course). Central School takes kids from both Mamaroneck and Larchmont. It has very little racial diversity, but good economic diversity.

Bellows is the elementary school in the Rye Neck School District. Overall, this district ranges from middle-class to very wealthy. No problems that I know of.

Mamaroneck has a bustling downtown along Mamaroneck Avenue but it is not particularly attractive. Larchmont and Rye have much more charming downtowns. And yes, real estate values are higher in Rye and Larchmont.

All three towns are very convenient to Manhattan via train, and car on the weekends.

As for daycare, I don't have a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County