Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 02:58 PM

37 posts, read 98,652 times

Advertisements

My family saw an amazing house in the Lawrence Farms area of Chappaqua today. The house itself was perfect, but we are not at all convinced that Chappaqua is the right place for us to live given how long the commute would be to the city (see below). I also worry that living it Chappaqua would be isolating. My husband currently works in midtown and I am staying at home for now, but will probably go back to work in NYC eventually. We have a 4 year old and a new baby. What is it like living in Chappaqua in general and Lawrence Farms in particular? We are really down to earth people.

As for where we should move, we have visited Larchmont a bunch of times but we just don't see the appeal. The town feels old and the houses are right on top of each other. Scarsdale is nice but the lots are small and we worry that it will be too pretentous for us. Edgemont is nice but the taxes are outrageous for what you get. Pleasantville was gross when we drove through it and we haven't seen anything in Briarcliff Manor that was appealing. As for what we want, we don't need to be in an A+ district but we wouldn't really want to go much below a B+ (if that makes sense). I would love to be in a place that is walkable and has a real downtown. I guess there isn't really anywhere in Westchester that I really WANT to move to, but with 2 kids we just can't afford NYC private schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 04:44 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Chappaqua has a big parking lot and express trains to the city. 48 minutes from the station to GCT if you take the 8:21 or 8:39. Can't beat that with a stick. Chappaqua is a very good but competitive school district of you get my drift. May be a bit of keeping up with the Joneses going on.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Unfortunately DH would have a 50+ min train ride plus the 15 min to the train/park plus the 15 min walk to work. That is an hour 20 door to door. Currently his commute is 25 min door to door. He is a very involved dad do I would hate for him to lose 2 hours a day with our kids.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 PM

116 posts, read 373,328 times
Quote:
I guess there isn't really anywhere in Westchester that I really WANT to move to, but with 2 kids we just can't afford NYC private schools.
It sounds like you could put this decision off for at least a year until your oldest is ready for school, maybe two years if your preschool has a kindergarten option. Why move if you don't like any of the towns here?

Old 07-21-2013, 06:39 PM

We'd move this year (instead of early 2014) because a) we live in 650 sqft right and b) I don't want to miss out on the right property. My son's preschool does not have a kindergarten option and I really don't want to throw away $5-6000/month on a 2-3 bedroom in Manhattan. When we leave our current apartment I want to go to our "forever" house.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:48 PM

Also this decision has been hanging over our heads for the past 5 years and it would be nice to resolve it one way or another.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:11 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
OP - when people move to the suburbs from the city, they know they are giving up a short commute for more property. And when they move further out, they know they will be getting more property but also longer commute times. Those dynamics simply do not change. There are well-appointed homes in Larchmont, Scarsdale and other southern Westchester areas, but they cost an arm and a leg.

IMO, it's easier for a family with 2 FT working parents to be living in a smaller property with a closer commute. But you won't get the country feel, housing stock and space of Chappaqua for sure. Look at Rye Neck or Irvington. But that's just my personal preference. Surely there are families in Chappaqua with 2 working parents who do just fine.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:16 PM

395 posts, read 1,618,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving42kids View Post
Pleasantville was gross when we drove through it
P-ville overlaps Chappaqua, Briarcliff and Armonk school districts and aesthetically it's hard to tell where one ends and the others begin. What streets were you on exactly and what was gross about it?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali_to_nj View Post
P-ville overlaps Chappaqua, Briarcliff and Armonk school districts and aesthetically it's hard to tell where one ends and the others begin. What streets were you on exactly and what was gross about it?
Is it old? She doesn't like old towns she says up top.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:53 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,218 times
Have you looked into Mamaroneck or Rye Neck? Orienta specifically has bigger lots and is a super nice neighborhood. Parts of Rye Neck are gorgeous too. There is less keeping up with the Joneses here than in Chappaqua.

What is your budget???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County