Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times

Advertisements

rubygreta:
Quote:
"This guy won't quit."
I see you haven't quit either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 04:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
rubygreta:

I see you haven't quit either.
I'm not on line endlessly badmouthing something. Nor are the vast majority of posters. And if I do move out of New York and love the place I move to, I will post once talking about what I love about the new place, and why it is better than New York. Then I will move onto something else (like most normal people).

Old 04-23-2014, 06:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
rubygreta:
Still haven't quit?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,469 times
Mahopac is a nice town, move there

Old 07-29-2014, 10:15 AM

95 posts, read 431,409 times
Not sure if the OP is still tracking this thread, as it's older and seemed to become less and less helpful as it went along, but just in case...

I am a current Peekskill resident, no kids and have lived here for about seven years. I'm not super familiar with the specific street/neighborhood OP mentioned, but I know there are some nice areas on that side of town. We live on the edge of what is known as the Mortgage Hill neighborhood, near Depew Park and the high school. We have been really happy. We love being able to walk into town and have a really good selection of restaurants, plus live music, festivals, farmer's market and one of the best coffee places I've ever found. Peekskill may have a bit more "grit" than some of the other Westchester towns, but it also has more diversity, and we have never felt unsafe, day or night.

Yes, there are some lower income residents, homes that are in need of some repair and multi-family properties. My own house is a very long term work in progress. Property values are lower, so unless you buy a true fixer-upper for a low price, it's unlikely that you're going to make a lot of money buying in Peekskill any time soon, but on the other hand, you also can get a lot of house for your money.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:24 AM

12 posts, read 19,705 times
Default Want to know about Peekskill?

I recently created The Peekskill Channel on youtube. It's a series of video slideshows showcasing various aspects of Peekskill. Have lived here 7 years and been in the area 35 years. Feel free to ask me anything about the area.

Link to The Peekskill Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuX...emgv1JGclujYvQ

Old 10-13-2014, 06:35 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Heumann View Post
I recently created The Peekskill Channel on youtube. It's a series of video slideshows showcasing various aspects of Peekskill. Have lived here 7 years and been in the area 35 years. Feel free to ask me anything about the area.

Link to The Peekskill Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuX...emgv1JGclujYvQ

Hello and that sounds like a grand idea. I will check it out.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
I moved to mortgage hill in Peekskill about a year ago (from Long Island, so I didn't really know of any stigma attached to the area). I have year round river views and the neighborhood is lovely. The restaurants are fun and people are renovating homes left and right. As did we. I have found that there are a lot of old timer residents that love to hate on Peekskill. Now I don't know what it has been like in the past decades but I am happy to say that young professionals are moving in and taking great care of their homes. The retired couple that sold us their home loved the neighborhood so much that they bought the house next door!!! It was smaller and all of their children have since moved out. They all went to Peekskill schools too and are happy successful individuals. I am very happy there.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,399 times
new poster, older thread, but i see kachang16 recently posted about this topic and area. can anyone speak to the health risks of living so close to Indian Point?

my wife and i currently live in upper Yonkers, and i've lived in rougher places than anything in Westchester, so i'm not really concerned about the demographics. i'm concerned with living within close proximity to a nuclear power plant (that did just have a massive spill into the Hudson).

please save all sarcasm and snark. would really appreciate insightful feedback form those who are familiar with the area and the situation. we're interested in the Mortgage Hill area, but not if it's going to compromise our health.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:32 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvet1965 View Post
new poster, older thread, but i see kachang16 recently posted about this topic and area. can anyone speak to the health risks of living so close to Indian Point?

my wife and i currently live in upper Yonkers, and i've lived in rougher places than anything in Westchester, so i'm not really concerned about the demographics. i'm concerned with living within close proximity to a nuclear power plant (that did just have a massive spill into the Hudson).

please save all sarcasm and snark. would really appreciate insightful feedback form those who are familiar with the area and the situation. we're interested in the Mortgage Hill area, but not if it's going to compromise our health.
First of all, there was no "massive spill" into the Hudson. you are talking about the transformer fire on May 9 and the resulting oil leak. First off, this had nothing whatsoever to do with Indian Point being a nuclear power plant. It was an electrical problem with the power feeding the property. All large businesses need to draw power from the electrical grid, and in order to do this, they have to have a transformer convert the power from the high voltage that runs in the lines to usable electricity. We all also have one of these at or near our neighborhoods to do the same thing. Large businesses, like indian point, have large transformers. There are hundreds of the exact same model transformer all up and down the Hudson, and many in Yonkers where you live. These transformers are inspected and maintained by power companies. In the case of the one ner my house, Con Ed. Sadly, they sometimes fail. when they fail, there are often fires since they use a lot of fuel and oil in order to work. In this case, the oil that leaked sadly went into the hudson.

But, this was not a nuclear problem at all. No radiation leaked at all. In fact, the nuclear system worked perfectly. the system automatically detected a problem with its electrical intake and automatically shut down the nuclear reactor. It shut down immediately and acted exactly as expected. The safety measures, even though it could have run for months on its back up power source, call for it to shut down in case of any decrease in power and for a manual inspection to be run. It was turned back on ten days later once a complete review showed nothing in the nuclear facility was damaged and the system responded perfectly, preventing any risk of harm to anyone.

What failed was the Con Ed transformer. It failed, and it leaked oil into the Hudson. The fact that this happened to be located at the nuclear plant had nothing whatsoever to do with the plant. It was just where this piece of equipment failed and leaked. The plant had nothing to do with it. They did everything they were meant to do to immediately contain the spill on their property, as any property owner of holder must do. The oil is being remediated, but its terrible and those at fault will eventually have to pay for the clean up. It may be the manufacturer, or the inspector of the transformer, or maybe the provider of power, but it does not matter. the point is that it happened and it was not indian point's issue, nor was there any leak or risk of a leak of any radioactive material.

I attack indian point all the time when they do something wrong, this one just was not on them.

Second, I live in Cortlandt Manor. There is no higher risk of any disease in my town or no other risk. If Indian Point was to melt down, you would be no safer in Yonkers than Peekskill. The area of radioactivity would be impossible for any of us to escape. The City would be covered with radioactive material, all of Westchester, Rockland and other northern counties would be covered. Its just too close to the largest metro area in the US to escape. Which is why I would prefer it close, but since its open, I demand top safety. and they have been good at delivering it.

You will notice nothing other than cheaper electric bills. By the way, Peekskill is a great town. It way overblown in terms of the comments in this thread. If you hate diversity, its not for you. Otherwise, its a town of good people who are very welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County