Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 17,390 times

Advertisements

Brooklyn couple with 2 small children considering a move to Westchester County in the next 6-12 months. Kids are 2 and newborn, but would like to use the public school system when they are of age. Both parents work in midtown Manhattan, right by Grand Central. Will most likely be looking in the $1.5-$2.25M range.

We think we've narrowed it down to Larchmont and Irvington based upon some criterion that are very important to us:

1. Commute- Metro North, not longer than ~40 minutes
2. Walkability within town- we love walking, prefer less driving so we are looking for commuter towns where its possible to walk to town, schools, parks, etc
3. Walkability to train- HUGE plus, we go to work at slightly different hours so we'd love not to have to deal with parking at all (which I know can be an issue in many Westchester towns) but especially not parking 2 cars.
4. Schools- want to use the public school systems.
5. Nice downtown- looking for a town that has a good mix of retail, restaurants, a solid town center

Pros and cons as I know it of both:

Irvington- Pros: school system is great, riverfront parks are nice, nice (if small) downtown, some houses that are within walking distance of train station and town. Somewhat more affordable than Larchmont.
Cons: Not as many houses within walking distance of train and troublesome parking situation if not. Longer commute than Larchmont. Hilly.

Larchmont- Pros: Short commute. Lots of housing within walking distance of train and town. Nice town. Beach.
Cons: Houses are more expensive (though the houses near train station more affordable?), yards are small closer to town. Schools not as highly rated as Irvington (though this is probably not a huge concern for us).

Anything here that isn't accurate or that I haven't considered? Any advice? Our priorities are really walkability and lively town, as we love living in the city but are ready to admit defeat with children and move to suburbs for more space.

Also, should we be considering Tarrytown as well? We like Tarrytown's downtown and the express train, but have heard that the schools aren't as great (which bothers us more from the high tax perspective than concerns about our childrens' ability to do well).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
Either one is fine. But walkability to the Irvington station in your price range is extremely unlikely. There is more available in Larchmont, although most of the houses are also below your price range.

Have no idea of the quality of the Tarrytown Schools. It does have a very large population of kids of immigrant Hispanics, which brings the test scores down (not that the kids are stupid, but they don't have the same advantages that your kids and my kids have) and housing prices down.

However, I know that well-off people in Sleepy Hollow and other areas specifically choose to live in the Tarrytown School District because they like the ethnic diversity. Do your due diligence.

Of the three, Tarrytown has the most interesting downtown, which includes the great Tarrytown Music Hall.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:02 PM

425 posts, read 1,212,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
either one is fine. But walkability to the irvington station in your price range is extremely unlikely. There is more available in larchmont, although most of the houses are also below your price range.

Have no idea of the quality of the tarrytown schools. It does have a very large population of kids of immigrant hispanics, which brings the test scores down (not that the kids are stupid, but they don't have the same advantages that your kids and my kids have) and housing prices down.

However, i know that well-off people in sleepy hollow and other areas specifically choose to live in the tarrytown school district because they like the ethnic diversity. Do your due diligence.

Of the three, tarrytown has the most interesting downtown, which includes the great tarrytown music hall.
tarrytown does not really compare to the other two in terms of schools but cute village area. CONSIDERING YOUR BUDGET, I WOULD FOCUS ON YOUR FIRST TWO SELECTIONS AND DON'T OVER THINK IT.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:17 PM

116 posts, read 373,235 times
During our LONG LONG LONG house hunt, being walkable to the train was of paramount importance to us, and we found that very challenging to find in the river towns, including Irvington. There's just not the inventory/turnover of some of the other towns, and then there are the hills and the parking situation. If you want Irvington, be willing to wait it out and jump on the first walkable house you see... it could take a while. I think Tarrytown is very cute town, really nice downtown, lots happening there. I don't know that lot size is significantly different in Larchmont vs Irvington - both small, but that's to be expected anywhere "walkable". What is a bigger problem in Larchmont, at least this season, is out of control bidding wars. We weren't interested in participating in that at all. If you are interested in Tarrytown (which is a bit out of your commute comfort zone), you might also think about checking out Pleasantville. It is perhaps the most walkable Westchester town, and the schools rank a bit higher if that is important to you.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 17,664 times
Hi - we are a Brooklyn family moving to Irvington this summer and we were looking for the same thing as you. We also considered Larchmont and Pelham but preferred the Rivertowns. Agree with posters above about the limited inventory near the train, but there is some. Our house is closer to the Ardsley-on-Hudson train station, so don't forget to consider that part of Irvington as well. Some houses nearby are zoned for Dobbs Ferry, but I believe that's a good school district too.

Also, the many of the homes in the southern part of Tarrytown are zoned for Irvington schools. Re: train parking - I didn't think there was a problem there, but not sure...

Good luck with your search!

Old 06-10-2014, 07:14 PM

91 posts, read 196,289 times
If walking is important to you, Larchmont is much more walkable than Irvington. Irvington is very hilly and does not have as many sidewalks as Larchmont. Also, Irvington is very spread out. Your child is more likely to live walking distance from elementary school in Larchmont than Irvington. The most convenient houses in Larchmont are at the low end of your price range, which I would think is a plus. Larchmont has more appealing housing inventory (to my taste, at least) on the market right now. So I say go for Larchmont. The school system's diversity explains the lower standardized test scores in the higher grades, but plenty of Mamaroneck High kids go off to top colleges every year. And, as Brooklynites, you would probably appreciate the diversity. Irvington is fairly homogenous.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
tarrytown does not really compare to the other two in terms of schools but cute village area. CONSIDERING YOUR BUDGET, I WOULD FOCUS ON YOUR FIRST TWO SELECTIONS AND DON'T OVER THINK IT.
It only took John six minutes for john70 to crawl out from under his rock.

There is a new Toll Brothers development in Tarrytown, with houses going for $1.5+ million, in case you are interested.

Tarrytown is very different from Irvington and Larchmont. Again, if you want a real multi-cultural diverse economic backgrounds school district, it could be to your liking.

Again, do your due diligence.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:44 PM

3 posts, read 17,390 times
Thanks to all who have responded so far! Does seem that there is very limited inventory in Irvington (I'm on a Trulia feed and get very few emails for Irvington), but also haven't been thrilled by the style of houses I'm seeing in Larchmont. Tarrytown does really interest me, and I do think the diversity of the school systems in Larchmont and Tarrytown is a plus for us. Interesting to note as well that some Tarrytown homes are zoned for Irvington. Thanks for info on walkability in Irvington- we drove through one time and it definitely didn't seem as though there were tons of homes within walking distance, but I'll keep my eye out.

Does anyone have an opinion on which downtown area is the "cutest" or most comprehensive? Most variety of stores, restaurants, etc?

Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsiewu View Post
Thanks to all who have responded so far! Does seem that there is very limited inventory in Irvington (I'm on a Trulia feed and get very few emails for Irvington), but also haven't been thrilled by the style of houses I'm seeing in Larchmont. Tarrytown does really interest me, and I do think the diversity of the school systems in Larchmont and Tarrytown is a plus for us. Interesting to note as well that some Tarrytown homes are zoned for Irvington. Thanks for info on walkability in Irvington- we drove through one time and it definitely didn't seem as though there were tons of homes within walking distance, but I'll keep my eye out.

Does anyone have an opinion on which downtown area is the "cutest" or most comprehensive? Most variety of stores, restaurants, etc?
Irvington definitely comes in 3rd place on the vibrant downtown. It's cute, but I've never seen it vibrant.

Tarrytown, especially when there is a concert at the Music Hall, is bustling. Lots of outdoor dining. Everything is within walking distance. It feels somewhat urban (on a small scale). However, it's very tough to park during a concert.

Larchmont is a little more spread out, with two "downtowns," one on and near the Boston Post Road, and one along Palmer Avenue. I would probably rank it behind Tarrytown, but that's pretty subjective.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 17,664 times
I would agree that Irvington is cute, but definitely not bustling! We liked the quieter nature of the town, the great parks and small schools. It's small and family oriented (community focus, lovely farmers market). There are restaurants but I would say shopping is more limited, so probably less comprehensive.

I would recommend going up to each area for a few hours - go out to eat locally, walk around the shops and visit a local park. You will hopefully get a better sense of which town is best for your family. Irvington and Tarrytown can easily be one trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County