Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:58 AM

218 posts, read 605,582 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to understand what taxes generally look like across southern and central westchester for 3/4 bedroom houses in the $650-$750 range. I realize taxes are property specific and that the exercise is subjective, but here's what I've got so far. A lot of these are guesses, but I'd be interested in what others have to say with the goal of making the list more accurate. Any thoughts?

Relatively Low
- Elmsford
- Greenburgh/Hartsdale
- Hawthorne/Thornwood
- Mt Vernon
- Port Chester
- New Rochelle
- Tarrytown/Sleepy Hollow
- Valhalla
- White Plains
- Yonkers

Middle
- Ardsley
- Chappaquae
- Eastchester
- Harrison
- Mamaroneck
- Mt Kisco
- Ossining
- Pelham
- Tuckahoe
- Rye Brook

High Taxes
- Armonk/Byram Hills
- Bedford
- Briarcliff Manor
- Bronxville
- Dobbs Ferry
- Edgemont
- Hastings-on-Hudson
- Irvington
- Pleasantville
- Pocantico Hills
- Rye
- Rye Neck
- Scarsdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:52 PM

91 posts, read 196,311 times
Pelham belongs in the high category. Pocantico Hills in the low group owing to the Rockefeller lands. If you could ever find a house in the Scarsdale or Rye school districts for $650K, you would find that the taxes are more along the lines of the towns in your middle group. Rye Neck also belongs in your middle group.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 40,463 times
The only relatively low area is certain parts of white plains. Yonkers has its own income tax so it is not comparable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommya View Post
I'm trying to understand what taxes generally look like across southern and central westchester for 3/4 bedroom houses in the $650-$750 range. I realize taxes are property specific and that the exercise is subjective, but here's what I've got so far. A lot of these are guesses, but I'd be interested in what others have to say with the goal of making the list more accurate. Any thoughts?

Relatively Low
- Elmsford
- Greenburgh/Hartsdale
- Hawthorne/Thornwood
- Mt Vernon
- Port Chester
- New Rochelle
- Valhalla
- White Plains
- Yonkers

Middle
- Ardsley
- Chappaquae
- Eastchester
- Harrison
- Mamaroneck
- Mt Kisco
- Ossining
- Pelham
- Tuckahoe
- Rye Brook

High Taxes
- Armonk/Byram Hills
- Bedford
- Briarcliff Manor
- Bronxville
- Dobbs Ferry
- Edgemont
- Hastings-on-Hudson
- Irvington
- Pleasantville
- Pocantico Hills
- Rye
- Rye Neck
- Scarsdale

Old 07-03-2014, 08:10 AM

218 posts, read 605,582 times
Thanks for the input. The updated collective wisdom is as follows. I'm also going to see if I can find the rate per $1000 of assessment to quantify the comparison, so definately interested if anyone knows the rate for a listed town:

Relatively Low
- Elmsford
- Greenburgh/Hartsdale
- Hawthorne/Thornwood
- Mt Vernon
- Port Chester
- Pocantico Hills
- New Rochelle
- Valhalla
- White Plains ($22.02 per $1000 of assessed value as of 2014)
- Yonkers (seperate income tax)

Middle
- Ardsley
- Chappaquae ($24.80 per $1000 of assessed value as of 2014)
- Eastchester
- Harrison
- Mamaroneck
- Mt Kisco
- Ossining
- Tuckahoe
- Rye
- Rye Brook
- Rye Neck
- Scarsdale

High Taxes
- Armonk/Byram Hills
- Bedford
- Briarcliff Manor
- Bronxville
- Dobbs Ferry
- Edgemont
- Hastings-on-Hudson
- Irvington
- Pelham
- Pleasantville

Last edited by tommya; 07-03-2014 at 08:32 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 09:05 AM

222 posts, read 540,618 times
I'd put Taxes in Sleepy Hollow in the high category, I've seen houses for $650k house with taxes of 24k.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:49 AM

354 posts, read 775,692 times
I have friends who live in Thornwood but are in the Byram Hills school district. Their taxes are pretty low. Can someone explain how this works?

Old 07-04-2014, 06:46 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommya View Post
Thanks for the input. The updated collective wisdom is as follows. I'm also going to see if I can find the rate per $1000 of assessment to quantify the comparison, so definately interested if anyone knows the rate for a listed town:
Here are the tables Property Tax Rates | Tax Commission , just take a little time and you can figure out the tax burden for any community you are interested in......

Old 07-04-2014, 12:04 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,028,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here are the tables Property Tax Rates | Tax Commission , just take a little time and you can figure out the tax burden for any community you are interested in......
Caution! Be very careful here. The actual taxes often have little do with tax rates because assessments are so often out of date or completely irrelevant. Some towns reassess regularly, others don't. In some communities the assessed value is as little as 20% or the market value of the house, especially if it's an older house. If you don't know what the assessment is on the individual house then you can't really know anything about that house's actual taxes.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:46 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,574,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hominamad View Post
I have friends who live in Thornwood but are in the Byram Hills school district. Their taxes are pretty low. Can someone explain how this works?
Find a house that is in the school district but not the village. You don't pay village taxes. Saves me about 7k per year.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:24 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Caution! Be very careful here. The actual taxes often have little do with tax rates because assessments are so often out of date or completely irrelevant. Some towns reassess regularly, others don't. In some communities the assessed value is as little as 20% or the market value of the house, especially if it's an older house. If you don't know what the assessment is on the individual house then you can't really know anything about that house's actual taxes.
You are correct there are towns that don't tax 100% of appraised value but for the extensive list the OP posted he can do the math.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County