Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,826 times

Advertisements

So basically avoid places like Scarsdale or Rye? I would want a diverse culture of people with different life experiences. I would never want to live in any community where people look down upon others because they might not have a degree, some people are just not college equipped, my wife and I have both attended college but that doesn't make us better then anyone else.

What's even more concerning is this fascination with living in the Westchester suburban bubble where everyone seems to be the same, dress the same, think the same, even commute to the same place to work everyday, NYC, cause everyone has to be the same or the neighbors might think less of you.

Suburbia is bad enough, Suburban Westchester is a real housewives series waiting to happen.

To the OP I live in the countryside, if you want down to earth people I would look into Northern Westchester or Putnam County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 09:53 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,036,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post
So basically avoid places like Scarsdale or Rye? I would want a diverse culture of people with different life experiences. I would never want to live in any community where people look down upon others because they might not have a degree, some people are just not college equipped, my wife and I have both attended college but that doesn't make us better then anyone else.

What's even more concerning is this fascination with living in the Westchester suburban bubble where everyone seems to be the same, dress the same, think the same, even commute to the same place to work everyday, NYC, cause everyone has to be the same or the neighbors might think less of you.

Suburbia is bad enough, Suburban Westchester is a real housewives series waiting to happen.

To the OP I live in the countryside, if you want down to earth people I would look into Northern Westchester or Putnam County.
^^^This. I strongly agree. I'm amazed that there hasn't been such a series yet.

Also agree about looking north. But I don't have to commute to NYC and I'd never take a job that required me do so if it meant living in southern Westchester. I grew up there, that was plenty.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:39 PM

269 posts, read 481,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
^^^This. I strongly agree. I'm amazed that there hasn't been such a series yet.
There was one. It featured housewives from Rye. They filmed a few episodes but it didn't get picked up by Bravo.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:14 PM

1,087 posts, read 1,387,826 times
Every town in America has that one section, but that's why they considered it segregated, cause at least 85% of the population can't stand people like what can be found in places like Rye or Scarsdale. Now obviously not everyone who resides there is like that I would presume, but based in what I see posted I would say a majority probably are.

Like I had mentions earlier I attended college, served in military service, became a business owner, and lived in Germany. The best education I ever had wasn't in a classroom, it was out there in the real world, something that college has yet to prepare you for.

I'm an outside the box thinker, pretty independent and not much of a fan of the corporate world, I've worked in it, didn't really like it.

I will say the for whatever reason I was always a fan of Mount Kisco, would like to live there someday, from what I remember of the town it seemed like a quaint little place.

My favorite New York country town I would have to give that to kent, Patterson, lake Carmel area. If I couldn't live in Mount Kisco I would choose Patterson.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 PM

5 posts, read 8,013 times
Thank you all for your input, it's highly appreciated!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:27 AM

87 posts, read 228,724 times
I agree with those who say to look at Northern Westchester. It's a better fit in terms of budget and probably also lifestyle. Good luck!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:14 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet1 View Post

Wow - do you like to stereotype!

My street has a Japanese business men who likes to go cod-fishing, some Romanians who fled Ceaușescu, and grow all their own vegetables and fruit, an old WASPY guy who remembers when Germans were then illegal immigrants, an Opera conductor who spends half his year in Europe, and the Italians who still grow their own figs and make their own pasta and play bocce, and then there are the Dominicans who make their own pitorro and give it out.

The moronic idea that suburbia is one generic place is as daft as thinking all cities are the same also. Mental laziness and lack of knowing actual real people. Easy to do when you never speak to your nearest neighbors 500 yds away.

Old 09-16-2014, 02:38 PM

30 posts, read 114,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliInChappaqua View Post
If I had to do it all over again, I would have stayed in SoCal. The only advantage to living here is our much higher income and a job my husband truly enjoys. These are big advantages and they keep us here, for the time being. But there is nothing like CA here. (Caveat -- We lived in SoCal.)

The cost of living is substantially higher. You will be surprised. You will pay more for everything, except water. As far as communities go, I haven't noticed strong differences amongst them -- some will argue strongly with me on this, but what I'm trying to get at is that you will not find a community here that resembles anything like the laid back, tolerant culture you are accustomed to in CA. (Oh, and everyone here calls California, Cali. Strange...) The communities here tend to be very segregated. There is significant racism. The outdoors are very humid and have lots of flying bugs. The towns with "good" schools are predominately white and are often described as "pressure cookers", though only at the high school level. Schools are closed for Jewish holidays -- you'll learn a lot about Jewish holidays (Californians don't know the Jewish holidays and school is in session for Jewish holidays). The commute is long. It is very wet (lots of rain and snow and swamps/marshes) year round and cold in the winter. The skiing is disappointing, coming from the west coast. The food is terrible and overpriced. There is no In N Out here.

There is a lot of wilderness just a short drive away (though you can find this in CA, too). The beaches here have warm water, not like the frigid west coast beaches. The schools aren't as heavily dependent upon the state capitol for funding -- they are mostly supported by local taxes -- so it's easier to buy into a "good" district, but will cost you dearly. Property taxes are about 3-4% instead of CA's 1%. They have u-pick orchards here (we had a very hard time finding that in CA). And, there are Xmas tree farms that will sell you trees for $60!! It is very safe in most parts of Westchester -- there is virtually no violent crime. Flights to Orlando are cheap and Disney World is a great vacation.

It's a very different lifestyle and attitude and it is hard to describe. If you like CA and can stay there, you probably should. Good luck!
The cost of living in SoCal is low? Seriously? California (SoCal, and yes, the Bay Area too) has some of the highest costs of living too. Property is expensive, taxes are high, it is a "car culture" so families typically have more than one.... they must driver further, so spend more on fuel. I am not saying NY is inexpensive -- hell no! It's brutal, but SoCal, in comparable areas, is not cheap. You mentioned your higher income -- well, everything comes at a price. There is no point living in "paradise" if you can't afford the basics...

Now, I am not sure about Chappaqua, but in general, I have found the majority of communities in Westchester to be full of wonderful people. Are there areas that are a bit more pretentious, of course... but are you saying SoCal and Bay Area don't have those?! I am from NYC born and raised and it's pretty much the OPPOSITE of what you have described. The people here are some of the best, smartest (in terms of people-smarts), most down to earth I've ever known and anyone with any connection to the City itself (whether through work, or living) mixes with people from ALL races, creeds, religions, and socio-economic backgrounds all the time with no issue. In fact, this may be the only city in the US that has that to this degree. I do not see the merit in your racism charge (and I think that term is thrown around too casually these days) and agree with one of the other posters about classism maybe being more what you are referring to). Also I agree with the last comment about NYers simply being more direct. This is something people from other parts of the country take as rude, when in fact it is not the intent.

Regarding your comment on schools observing Jewish holidays, is that somehow a bad thing? There is a tremendous Jewish population in the entire NY Metro area and Jewish culture has indeed colored NY culture and life as a whole. Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, African-Americans and everyone in between here use Yiddishisms as a part of their daily vernacular. This is just a part of the local flavor. If one cherishes diversity, this should not be viewed as a bad thing.

In terms of nature, California is indeed stunning, but so is the Hudson River Valley, the Catskills, the LI Sound and all of the country that lies between here and the Adirondacks.

And serious, no good food? You are in the NY metro area -- where some of the greatest food on earth is. Atlantic seafood is outstanding and, if you don't feel like schlepping to Manhattan there are wonderful small eateries that make great use of the regions local offerings. In fact, NY State has literally hundreds of creameries, distilleries, craft beer makers, farmers and artisan food purveyors -- it may be more low-key than Napa, but it is nothign to scoff at.

In terms of the property taxes, yes, they are insane. But by and large, throw a rock and a great (compared to the national average) school district is never far, even in the lower-taxed areas.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:03 PM

30 posts, read 114,774 times
And yes, I agree that Northern Westchester, from what I can tell, is a great bet for down-to-earth people and overall wonderful communities... My husband and I are considering N. Westchester if we don't have to commute 5 days.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 AM

107 posts, read 441,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLMTAG View Post
The cost of living in SoCal is low? Seriously? California (SoCal, and yes, the Bay Area too) has some of the highest costs of living too. Property is expensive, taxes are high, it is a "car culture" so families typically have more than one.... they must driver further, so spend more on fuel. I am not saying NY is inexpensive -- hell no! It's brutal, but SoCal, in comparable areas, is not cheap. You mentioned your higher income -- well, everything comes at a price. There is no point living in "paradise" if you can't afford the basics...

Now, I am not sure about Chappaqua, but in general, I have found the majority of communities in Westchester to be full of wonderful people. Are there areas that are a bit more pretentious, of course... but are you saying SoCal and Bay Area don't have those?! I am from NYC born and raised and it's pretty much the OPPOSITE of what you have described. The people here are some of the best, smartest (in terms of people-smarts), most down to earth I've ever known and anyone with any connection to the City itself (whether through work, or living) mixes with people from ALL races, creeds, religions, and socio-economic backgrounds all the time with no issue. In fact, this may be the only city in the US that has that to this degree. I do not see the merit in your racism charge (and I think that term is thrown around too casually these days) and agree with one of the other posters about classism maybe being more what you are referring to). Also I agree with the last comment about NYers simply being more direct. This is something people from other parts of the country take as rude, when in fact it is not the intent.

Regarding your comment on schools observing Jewish holidays, is that somehow a bad thing? There is a tremendous Jewish population in the entire NY Metro area and Jewish culture has indeed colored NY culture and life as a whole. Italian-Americans, Irish-Americans, African-Americans and everyone in between here use Yiddishisms as a part of their daily vernacular. This is just a part of the local flavor. If one cherishes diversity, this should not be viewed as a bad thing.

In terms of nature, California is indeed stunning, but so is the Hudson River Valley, the Catskills, the LI Sound and all of the country that lies between here and the Adirondacks.

And serious, no good food? You are in the NY metro area -- where some of the greatest food on earth is. Atlantic seafood is outstanding and, if you don't feel like schlepping to Manhattan there are wonderful small eateries that make great use of the regions local offerings. In fact, NY State has literally hundreds of creameries, distilleries, craft beer makers, farmers and artisan food purveyors -- it may be more low-key than Napa, but it is nothign to scoff at.

In terms of the property taxes, yes, they are insane. But by and large, throw a rock and a great (compared to the national average) school district is never far, even in the lower-taxed areas.

DLMTAG -- As you are "born and raised" in NY, I will let you be the expert on all things NYC Metro. However, I stand by my opinions and observations about the differences between living in CA and NY. I believe that I am better able to speak to the differences and experiences a CA transplant will experience. Except for my opening statement that I wish we hadn't left CA (and the poor skiing conditions and bad food), I didn't attach a value judgement to any of my statements.

Good luck, viliang!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County